Pattern Help, Please!

Old September 18th 05, 07:51 AM
Allaya

Default Pattern Help, Please!

Hi everybody

I am completely stumped, and I really need guidance.

I am working on this shawl pattern:
http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/Pr...rnid= 5420120
which is a basic drop-stitch shawl pattern. It is worked from corner to
corner width wise.

As you can see from the pattern (download it...it's a PDF file), when
you get to the end, you knit across five stitches and draw the yarn
through the last loop to bind it off. Then, you are supposed to unravel
5 stitches, knot it, and continue to make fringe.

Making the fringe is necessary because it releases tension on two sides
of the triangular shawl so that it will lie flat...so I can't just omit
this step. Besides, the loopy fringe looks kind of cool, IMO.

Anyway, I just can't seem to get the hang of this! I just don't see
what to knot if I unravel JUST 5 stitches, since there's just not much
there to work with. If I unravel 5 stitches forward and back, I have
enough to knot, but it looks like I'm eating away too much at the shawl.

I hear this is a popular way to make fringe on machine knit shawls, so
maybe some of you machine knitters can add your input too?

Im sure this is a very simple thing to do, but for some reason, I just
can't get what they;re doing. Please help! Thanks!

Allaya
Old September 18th 05, 01:44 PM
Katherine

Allaya wrote:
[...]

Sorry, Allaya, I can't help you. I am about to try a dropped stitch scarf,
and this will be my first venture into this. I hope someone explains it, as
I would love to hear the explanation.

Katherine

Old September 18th 05, 02:36 PM
DA

Allaya, unravel the five stitches back to the double yos ( it looks like
they will be included in the yarn used for the fringe) This will form a
loop for the fringe, when you have the loop, tie a knot in the loop and snug
it up to the edge of the shawl. The knot keeps it from unraveling more.
DA

--
This property protected by Smith and Wesson four days a week - - you
guess which days.

Old September 18th 05, 02:51 PM
Sue W

Hi Allaya, yes you're supposed to unravel the five stitches there and back,
so the five stitch border you had disappears to be replaced by loads of
loops! It may seem drastic, but it is the technique!

Sue
--
Sue W in East Anglia, UK

Old September 18th 05, 04:49 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Sue W"
wrote:

Hi Allaya, yes you're supposed to unravel the five stitches there and back,
so the five stitch border you had disappears to be replaced by loads of
loops! It may seem drastic, but it is the technique!

Sue

Does anyone have problems with down loading this pattern, my computer
freezes up whne I try. Bummer

Els
Old September 18th 05, 08:11 PM
Allaya

Thakns for your help guys. I must have been really tired last night! LOL

But there is a bit of a trick to this. YOu can't JUST unravel 5
stitches blindly because it's a triangle, and you really need to watch
it. Plus, when you begin, you're going to run into one rogue stitch.

SO, the way I fixed this was I unravel all the way to the end of the
row, which may or may not be 5 stitches. But when I go back, I only
unravel 5 and no more. In the beginning, there is usually one extra
stitch that is not included in the 5 back. So, what I do is I take the
loop that forms, pull it through the remaining stitch and THEN I knot
it. This binds off that one stith and secures it. After a couple of
times of close counting, you're set to just let'er rip.

THere is some strange thing I encountered doing this though...I
startedwith 5 stitches, but ended up with three. Not sure why...must
have been that I messed up my increases and decreases on the other side
of the shawl. Who knows...but you can't really tell. It's a very nice
looking shawl.

Allaya

Old September 19th 05, 02:08 AM

Hi Allaya,

Are you going to show us a picture of it?

Hugs,

Nora

Old September 19th 05, 05:54 AM
Allaya

Me? A picture! LOL You know I would, Nora, but some pretty amazing
things have happened within the past few days that are sort of
preventing me from doing that right now...

So here's the good news: We bought a house on Friday! It's our first
real honest-to-goodness non-attached house with a real yard! We're so
excited!

So while escrow goes, Adam and I have been madly de-cluttering and
selling/storing so that we can get the house in order to sell. That
said, there will be no pictures or things of that sort for a little
while since I'll be mainly operating off of my little laptop for the
next month or so...and then baby will be arriving shortly after.

At any rate, it looks very much like the one in the link I gave, only in
black. I used a silk/alpaca blend instead of the yarn they recommended.
It's so nice and buttery soft.

Allaya

Old September 19th 05, 08:55 AM
Katherine

COngratulations, Allaya! I know that your daughter (and the new baby) will
love having a yard.

Katherine

Old September 19th 05, 01:53 PM
MRH

"Allaya" wrote in message
Me? A picture! LOL You know I would, Nora, but some pretty amazing
things have happened within the past few days that are sort of preventing
me from doing that right now...

So here's the good news: We bought a house on Friday! It's our first
real honest-to-goodness non-attached house with a real yard! We're so
excited!

snipped

Congratulations on the new house, Allaya! May it always be filled with love
and happiness! )

Peace!
Gemini

Child's hat pattern M. Burwell Yarn 6 July 1st 04 05:25 PM
Modifying a pattern Slinky Yarn 5 May 10th 04 11:58 PM
New FREE downloadable PMP 4 crossstitch pattern "Country Kitchen" available :O))) Misty Needlework 0 March 14th 04 12:54 PM
New FREE downloabable cross stitch pattern in PMP 4 zip file - art nouveau window to spring ! Misty Needlework 1 February 3rd 04 12:52 PM
New FREE downloabable cross stitch pattern in PMP 4 zip file - Sweet valentine :OD ! Misty Needlework 0 January 30th 04 08:36 PM