Satin stitch help?

Old June 12th 05, 01:33 AM
WhansaMi

Default Satin stitch help?

I've just started satin stitching around some fused applique... and I SUCK!
:-O

I do okay on the straight areas, but when I get to curves -- or have small
round pieces, they end up all jaggedy. Can someone point me to some tips on
satin stitching?

TIA

Sheila

Old June 12th 05, 08:27 AM
Pati Cook

The key to satin stitching around curves is to pivot constantly. If you
can, try to find the center of the circle ( or the center of the circle
that would be formed if the curve made a full circle) and put your
finger down at that point *hard*. That will make the fabric feed in a
smooth curve automatically. In fact, one way to sew circles, and the
basis for some circle sewing gadgets, is to tape a thumbtack, point up
on the bed of the machine, at a distance from the needle equal to the
radius of a circle. Put the center point of the circle of fabric on the
thumbtack. (The gizmo is a bar with a part that curves or bends down
with a hollow to fit over the point of the thumbtack, the long bar fits
in behind the needle like a "quilting guide".) If you don't have the
gizmo, put something to help hold the fabric on the tack, even a
postcard piece should work. DON'T hold the card down, the only place
the fabric is held is exactly at the center of the desired circle.
Sew. The stitching will make a perfect circle.
For really tiny circles, I embroider them or make tiny yo-yos without
folding the edge under. Turn upside down and stitch in place.

Of course the best way to learn to do any of these is by PRACTICE,
PRACTICE, PRACTICE. (Not shouting, just emphasizing.) It does get
easier, and you will improve.

You can also help some by doing a double row of stitchin. Make the
first go round a slightly narrower width than you want to finish with,
and a bit longer stitch. Then go over it again with a bit wider and a
tiny bit closer stitch. This helps to prevent the build up problem that
sometimes occurs with sating stitching. (Where you want to really cover
that edge so you try to make the stitching so close together that at
some point it just starts going over the same place and by the time you
realize it there is build up of a quarter inch of thread both on top
and stuck through the needle hole into the bottom of the machine.)

HTH,
Pati, in Phx

Old June 12th 05, 03:59 PM
the black rose

WhansaMi wrote:

I've just started satin stitching around some fused applique... and I SUCK!
:-O

I do okay on the straight areas, but when I get to curves -- or have small
round pieces, they end up all jaggedy. Can someone point me to some tips on
satin stitching?

Echoing Pati -- pivot pivot pivot and practice practice practice. As
you come to a point, gradually narrow the satin stitch until it's nearly
nothing at the point, then pivot and gradually increase the stitch width
again.

Alternatives to satin stitch: blanket stitch with matching or
contrasting thread, a small zigzag with monofilament or a blind stitch
with monofilament. These also require a lot of pivoting, but it's
easier to get smooth curves.

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old June 12th 05, 06:29 PM
Mary in Washington

May I suggest the book "Mastering Machine Applique" by Harriet
Hargrave? She has great instruction and wonderful pictures (which I
need..lol) in this book.

She covers stitch lengh, tension, tunneling, all types of corners,
decorative, scallopes, inside and outside curves, blunt points, and
invisable stitches.

Mary

http://community.webshots.com/user/moondancewa

Old June 12th 05, 07:34 PM
Sally Swindells

I have put this on my wish list on Amazon - where I put books I want
to remember. However they list this book as by 'Charriet Hargrave',
and it was not with her other books on the list. (I entered it by
title first). However, they imply that it is difficult to find, and
make an extra charge for it.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Old June 12th 05, 07:53 PM

One of the things that helps on satin stitch is to use "needle down" if
you have it. If your curve is tight enough to require you to stop and
turn your fabric, stop with the needle down on the wide side of the
curve--that will avoid leaving blank spots on the curve.

Sonja in Red Deer

-

Old June 12th 05, 11:07 PM
Mary in Washington

Hi Sally, Thread Art has the book for $18.95. I usually by from Amazon
too, but sometimes they have the books as hard to find or they take
long shipping time.

www.threadart.com/B/B10054.asp

Old June 12th 05, 11:34 PM
Sally Swindells

Thanks - It probably helps that they have her name right too!
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~