JoAnn's consolidating several stores

Old September 3rd 04, 02:59 PM
Susan Laity Price

Default JoAnn's consolidating several stores

In my area, the western suburbs of Chicago, JoAnn's is closing three
stores and opening one large Superstore. The strange thing is that
they are selling everything to the walls in all three stores, not
moving anything to the new store. They say this is because of
bookkeeping. I would think they could move basics like thread and
zippers. Yes, get rid of the junk but if everyone stocks-up on the
basics at 50 to 90% off they won't be buying them for a while at the
new store.

I hit all three stores yesterday looking for specific items I need for
my charity work. I spent about $500. Everything I bought was at least
40% off but some of it was almost given away. Anything with a yellow
or red sales tag was 40% off the lowest price. I bought some small
flowers for crafts at camp for 95% off. I think they had been lost in
the back room. They had been marked down several times and I got 40%
the lowest price. Also bought 2004 calendars for $.10 The orphans in
Ukraine don't care about the month they just love the brightly colored
animal pictures.

JoAnn's has closed other stores in the Chicago area the last few years
and converted them to Superstores. They seemed to have finally figured
out that they need extra staff during these sales. I have never seen
so many employees at any JoAnn's. Lines were never more than two or
three people long. All cutting tables were staffed, clerks were in the
isles to answer questions and all registers were open.

Hopefully the company has also figured out how to layout the new
Superstores. I think I reported to you the mess during opening week at
the Naperville Superstore. The planners had not provided a large
enough space for the clerks to deposit bolts once the fabric had been
cut for the customer and there was no place for customers to stand
while waiting to have fabric cut. There was actually gridlock in the
isles. The new store is scheduled to open November 1st. I will report
back on the opening.

I plan to visit the stores once a week during the closing. I bought
the stuff I usually purchase for the charities on this trip. Later I
might do some impulse buying when the prices are better.

Susan
Old September 3rd 04, 07:51 PM
Kim Hansen

Susan,

Which western suburban stores are closing? I need to hurry on over.

Kim in Wheaton

Old September 4th 04, 01:45 AM
DrQuilter

in this case, by the time I got there there was almost nothing left. I
needed muslin and batting, the lady almost laughed at me because those
were the first things to go. of course I had seen the 70% off banners
before but I didn't need anything then... the new store is going to be
further away from me, and it does not open until September 17th... so I
took my business to Pacific Fabrics (who was out of muslin also!!!! I
only found a remnant in the 108" width that I hope will work)

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
Old September 4th 04, 07:12 AM
Listpig

I'm waiting to see if the new Highland (IN) store is going to be a
superstore (I suspect so), but I'm tending to doubt they'll close any stores
as a consequence, since there aren't any all that close---all like 10-15
miles away one direction or another. This one's more like "there's been an
appreciable Joann-shaped hole" where they're building rather than being a
replacement/consolidation store, I *think*.

However, you've provoked me to keep an eye on the Lansing (IL) and Griffith
(IN) stores just in case.....g

--pig

On 9/3/04 08:59, in article ,
"Susan Laity Price" wrote:

[...]