not knowing

Old December 17th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen Z

Default not knowing

anything about Brother machines i would like your opinions. can't seem
to find any place to get my machine (simplicity) serviced but on joanns
e-mail sales today she has a Brother XL2610---59 stitches and 25 built
in stitches , free arm, auto needle threader,auto bobbin winder, drop in
bobbin and 25 year guarantee. and it only weighs 11 lbs. it is regular
$149 and on sale for $99.99 and free shipping.
ok what do you think? should i go for it?
is brother a good machine?
thanks
karen(kz)

Old December 17th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

I've had two brothers and one janome. Buy the brother you won't be
disappointed. I wouldn't give up my old brother for nothing. The new one
I just bought I can't believe I waited so long. I would have done a lot
more sewing/quilting if I had bought it years earlier. But that's just
my two cents.
Take Care
Joanna

Old December 17th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen Z

Default not knowing-Joanna

thanks for the info. i know it is a great price so just pondering.
karen(Kz)

Old December 17th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Don't *quite* make up your mind to buy it, Karen, until you have sat
down in the shop and tested it. Even a good price is a waste of money
if it doesn't suit you and the way you like to work. Take a very firm
list of features that you *need, and those you might *like (there is a
difference g). If you plan to machine quilt, you should take a
practice sandwich with you to try; but remember that a whole quilt will
be much heavier, and will have to be 'shoved' through the harp many
times during the making.

If it only weighs 11lbs, you might find it is mostly plastic
construction and might not be heavy/sturdy enough for machine quilting?
The original price doesn't sound as if it is one of the good stalwarts
that they make. I don't know the model, though.
..
In message , Karen Z
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 17th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Karen Z wrote:
anything about Brother machines i would like your opinions. can't seem
to find any place to get my machine (simplicity) serviced but on joanns
e-mail sales today she has a Brother XL2610---59 stitches and 25 built
in stitches , free arm, auto needle threader,auto bobbin winder, drop in
bobbin and 25 year guarantee. and it only weighs 11 lbs. it is regular
$149 and on sale for $99.99 and free shipping.
ok what do you think? should i go for it?
is brother a good machine?
thanks
karen(kz)

I am generally unimpressed by them. Too many 'features' crammed into a
light weight frame. Very plasticky casing designed more with fashion in
mind than function. That particular range has a VERY small harp area:
if you want to sew anything much bigger than a tray cloth, you'll have
difficulty getting it and a hand in there to manipilate it.

Brother domestic sewing machines are all bought in and badged: some are
better than others. Their industrial machies and their domestic
overlockers are *much* better.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old December 17th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I would suggest looking for a *good* used machine for your $100. A new
machine at that price can't be a good, sturdy, quality machine. It would be
fine for light sewing here and there, but not for quilting/sewing marathons.
I once bought a $300 Singer at WalMart- about 18 years ago- and took it back
the next day. It was just too flimsy and lightweight and 'plastic-y' for my
needs. Quilting can be a pretty good work-out for a sewing machine.
Brother makes some excellent machines, but not at that price. There's just
no profit margin there to allow for good quality.

Sorry to be so opinionated, but I'd much rather see you with a really good
50 year old Singer than a new machine that can't hold up to what you need it
to do- and have you be terribly disappointed.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old December 17th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen Z

Default not knowing-All

thanks very much for your responses will let you know what i do.
also will check sears since you said they are janomes.
karen(kz)

Old December 17th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

I guess I should add a little. I did just buy a Brother. It was a
Innovis 80, normally priced around $800 and I got it for $500 on sale.
Most people are right in you get what you pay for. If your just hoping
it will last a year or two it might do just fine. I did look at the
machine your thinking about, but I decided against it because of the
other deals they had going at the time. I also got the quilting table
with mine for free. For me buying used wasn't an option. But I did try
to find some used ones. They just aren't around in my area at the time I
was looking. So go try the machine that's your best bet.
Good Luck
Joanna
Old December 17th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

My Brother 1500 is a great machine. I think cheap models of better
brands can be as bad as cheapie models of low end brands. It isn't
that a machine might only last 2 years but that the 2 years can
be hell! Biggest problem I noticed is low end SIngers and other
cheapies won't hold tension. That is a killer.
I bought a Bernina 830 (old style) on Ebay in a cabinet for $300
last summer. It is a dream of a machine. I would bet it is the
best sewing machine money I ever spent. I really just wanted the
cabinet to drop my 930 in. I had planned to sell the 830 but can't
bear to part with it. I picked up a Singer 503 and a 401 in the
last few months too. They are both great models that sew terrific
even if they are as old as I am. I would rather a SInger 301 or
99 that sew well than a fancy new machine that can't hold tension.

Taria