Buttons.....

Old December 1st 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default Buttons.....

Why didn't somebody tell me ages ago that I could attach buttons with
a sewing machine? I just attached 18 buttons to my new advent calendar
(yes, I know it's going to be a tiny bit late, but better late than
never) in about 20 minutes.

SEwing buttons is one of my buggaboos. I've been known to throw away a
shirt because it needed a button or two. Putting on a button by hand
takes a long, long time and many finger sticks and many dropped
needles and buttons and probably knots where they don't belong so
starting over and then realizing the button is in slightly the wrong
place. Well, my trust little sewing machine put those suckers on in a
whiz. Yay!

Sunny
Old December 1st 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

if ya'd asked i'da told ya that, Sunny.
i've been sewing buttons on with the zigzag forever.
i dont do it any other way now.
takes too long by hand and its not really fun so why do them by hand.
tis but a necessary evil at any rate, eh.
j.

"Sunny" wrote...

Old December 2nd 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Yeah, tis the ONLY way I can do them.and I can even sew one on with a
'shaft' by hand turning the flywheel. For the longest time, I would send
said objects to my sis to sew buttons on...cause my hands refuse to do it.
Then my "Aunt" told me she did hers by machine...and that was the last of
the 'hard way' for me.
I'm tickled for you, Sunny. bet it made your day : )

Butterfly

Old December 2nd 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Cool Sunny. Glad you figured out how to do it. This kind of stuff
is why the classes that come with a machine are so good to take if
you have the opportunity. If not just going through the manual will
open up a world of neat stuff your machine will do for you.
18 is a lot of buttons. I don't mind stitching those but the machine
is surely easier than by hand.
TAria

Old December 2nd 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

I sew my buttons on by hand. With my dumb luck, I'd break a needle
trying to do it by machine

Ginger in CA
whose office sewing kit is well known to judges, lawyers and co-
workers

Old December 2nd 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Sunny wrote:
Why didn't somebody tell me ages ago that I could attach buttons with
a sewing machine? I just attached 18 buttons to my new advent calendar
(yes, I know it's going to be a tiny bit late, but better late than
never) in about 20 minutes.
........snipped.....

Sunny

I'll add to your happiness by telling you that it's even easier if
you use a glue stick to get the buttons to stay where you want them.
That's assuming the item to which you sew the buttons will be washed or
cleaned. I got so tired of trying to hold a button in just the right
place with my fingers that I finally tried a glue stick and it works a
charm :-). Too often I have held the button right where I want it,
lowered the needle into the hole and then had the button sort of
"squirt" away before I could get the needle set properly -- VBS!! Glue
stick to the rescue -- LOLOL!
OH -- another FYI when sewing buttons to garments that hare heavy.
You need to be sure that you leave a bit of "play" in the thread that
holds the button on. When you put it through a buttonhole in heavy
fabric, the button won't sit right if it's sewn too tightly to the
fabric. I usually put a large hand sewing needle (like a darner) under
the button and then carefully sew the button on. You need to go slowly
doing this but it sure makes the finished project look much nicer and
more professional :-). CiaoMeow ^;;^

--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Old December 2nd 08, 06:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

You know, I instantly grasped the value of using a glue stick, lol. I
may be slow but I'm not stupid. A little squidge of that glue stick
and the button no longer wriggled all over the place. Nice, nice,
nice.

But thanks for the suggestion. There might be somebody out there who
won't admit they are just as ..... um, delayed.... as I am and could
use the advice. VBG

Sunny
Old December 2nd 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Ginger, when I realized I had 50 buttons to sew on this calendar
(don't ask, it was a stupid thing to get myself into -- why can't I
ever, ever just do a project the way it's intended) I just sort of
thought of tossing the whole thing. Then I started looking online.
Duh.

Broken needles I could handle, but 50 buttons by hand would just
finish me off.

Hugs,
Sunny

Old December 2nd 08, 08:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Me too, Ginger! I've had a machine that would do it for years, but have
never 'trusted' any of them!!
..
In message
,
Ginger in CA writes
I sew my buttons on by hand. With my dumb luck, I'd break a needle
trying to do it by machine

Ginger in CA
whose office sewing kit is well known to judges, lawyers and co-
workers

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 2nd 08, 08:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Sunny wrote:
Ginger, when I realized I had 50 buttons to sew on this calendar
(don't ask, it was a stupid thing to get myself into -- why can't I
ever, ever just do a project the way it's intended) I just sort of
thought of tossing the whole thing. Then I started looking online.
Duh.

Broken needles I could handle, but 50 buttons by hand would just
finish me off.

Hugs,
Sunny

*Sewing* them on doesn't worry me, but I will NEVER do covered buttons
myself again if I need more than a coupe or three for a hat! I still
have nightmares about covering 70 buttons in thick wool fabric for a
bridal project...

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!