sort of a newbie with a question

Old May 11th 04, 01:54 PM
Sorceress

Jean Early opined thusly:

She's confined to bed/wheelchair, so the "slipping" issue isn't really
big.

Granted you know her and I do not, but if she's using her feet to help propel
her wheelchair along like many do, the slipping issue could actually be quite
important. I mention this because both my late grandmamman and my dad who is
currently confined to a wheelchair insist(ed) on wearing sneakers and utterly
refuse(ed) to wear slippers because they found they get better traction and
move with more ease. Now if I could just talk him into using an electric
chair........

--
Regards,
--Anne

Remove DIESPAMBOTDIE to e-mail

Blog Info:
http://www.emptycauldron.com/weblog/musings.html
http://www.emptycauldron.com/weblog/atom.xml

Old May 11th 04, 04:13 PM

I have never knitted any slippers before so I decided to try the pattern
that Dennis posted.

http://knitting.about.com/library/blslippers.htm

I just want to see if I understand the pattern correctly. I have knitted
the first 16 ridges. The next instruction says to "cast off 7 sts for
two rows." I'm guessing that it means that I cast off a total of 14 sts
and end up with 31 sts.

The next instruction says to "Continue pattern for 10 ridges." I'm
wondering what that pattern is since the original pattern has 45 sts but
the new work on has 31 sts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mona

Old May 11th 04, 06:59 PM

I figured it out. Lol, I'm slow but I'll get there yet.

Mona

Old May 12th 04, 12:19 AM

Thanks for posting the newbie slipper patterns. I made one (1) slipper
of the pattern that Dennis posted and that pattern worked well for me. I
luv the little cuff on the slipper. After I make the second one, I'll
try the other patterns.

Lol, I just had to take a photo of "my" first slipper and the link is
below.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/calgal/crafts.html

Next time, I may try to knit both slippers at the same time with two
skeins.....

Mona

Old May 12th 04, 01:47 AM
Katherine

Spike Driver wrote:
"Jean Early" wrote in message
Hello! I'm sort of a newbie -- have only posted a couple of times. I
lurk a lot and appreciate the lack of "flame wars" here....

I have just completed a shawl for my mother-in-law, who has
alzheimers. I have a lot of yarn left, and my husband suggested that
I knit some slippers for her as well.

Could anyone suggest a relatively simple slipper pattern that an
inexperienced knitter could successfully make??

Thanks in advance for your time.

Jean

Jean,

You will not find a pattern easier to kint than this and like is says
even the men like this pattern.

http://knitting.about.com/library/blslippers.htm

Let me know if you like the pattern and use it.

I have made over 50 of them. I use non skid paste you apply to cloth
rugs to keep them from sliding. Go to any fabric shop or the big W
place and tell them you want the stuff to put on rugs to stop them
from skidding, they will know what you mean. There is several
brands. I did several dozen for a Senior ciitizen's home for
Christmas. Thay loved them! They were comfortable and did not
slide. Best of all they are easy to store and put on.

Yes, those are the ones I was going to suggest, too, Dennis.

Katherine

Old May 12th 04, 01:48 AM
Katherine

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
POOR Gwen we just immerge from winter ,,,
mirjam

Hah! Maybe YOU are emerging from winter. We are not! It is still snowing
here, and I am really tired of it. Sigh!

Katherine

Old May 12th 04, 01:49 AM
Katherine

I figured it out. Lol, I'm slow but I'll get there yet.

LOL Attagirl, Mona!
Katherine

Old May 12th 04, 04:35 AM
Jean Early

Monica -- I used this pattern and knitted up a pair of slippers this
afternoon! I used only two strands with size 13 needles, and they seem
to have worked just fine. I'm thinking of making some for my mom now.

Dennis -- I hope to try the pattern you suggested soon!

Jean

(CMM PDX2) wrote:

Well, I hate to contradict Dennis (grins and waves at Dennis, tongue firmly in
cheek - I know he can take a joke g), but there's another pattern that
*might* be even easier to knit than the link he kindly provided. (of course, it
could be just how your mind works. g) It's the Comfy Slipper pattern at:

http://www.white-works.com/slippers.htm

Main diff is no purling whatsoever, and instead of fold-over cuffs, the cuffs
stand up like socks; they stay on really well. The pattern recommends 4 strands
of worsted wt. yarn and US #13 needles, but I find that a bit difficult to work
with, and too tight to knit easily, even with the big needles. So I go down to
3 strands and #11's to make a man's size 9-11. (they stretch. g) For average
women's sizes, I do the same, but use about three rows less in the main foot
section. Smaller sizes, I go down to #10's, but still use 3 strands of worsted.
These are very warm, stay on quite nicely, and work up really fast. Plus look
really pretty when you use a couple of different yarns; especially when one or
two of the strands is a multi-color. I've made umpteen pairs of these, and
people just love them. Including me.

And of course, you can use Dennis's very useful suggestion about the non-skid
stuff on any slippers; that's a very good idea. If you can't find the non-skid
rug stuff locally, try fabric puff paint. It'll work too, but has one
drawback...if the slippers are washed/dried on too high a heat, the puff paint
crumbles and wears off! I guess it needs an application of heat at first to
make it puff, but after that, it likes cooler temps. (never tried it myself,
but vaguely remember reading the directions on bottles long ago.) The rug stuff
is much better quality, from what I've heard. But hey, if you desperately need
a substitute, at least there's something!

Monica

CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me
---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html

Old May 12th 04, 05:21 AM

WOO HOOOO!!!! pretty leg Mona.....oh and nice job on the slipper
too....LOL

bart