need help on gauge

Old November 7th 03, 06:39 PM
BDS2pds

Default need help on gauge

Could you expert knitters please help me ?
I have a pattern with 12 st/20 rows to 4 inches.
The yarn I have is gauged at 16 st/23 rows to 4 inches.

How do I start knowing which other size needles to try to figure out how close
I can come for this yarn to work with this pattern?
I am at a loss.
Old November 7th 03, 07:00 PM
BDS2pds

Thanks Karen. I do not know what they used on the pattern but I am using oiled
wool and definitely worsted.
Old November 7th 03, 07:02 PM
Karen

"BDS2pds" wrote in message
Could you expert knitters please help me ?
I have a pattern with 12 st/20 rows to 4 inches.
The yarn I have is gauged at 16 st/23 rows to 4 inches.

How do I start knowing which other size needles to try to figure out how

close
I can come for this yarn to work with this pattern?
I am at a loss.

I'm nowhere near an expert knitter, but I'll try.

Does it give you a needle size to start with? If it gives you a needle size
to start with and your pattern calls for a smaller gauge, go down a size or
two from that needle size and make a swatch. That pattern gauge of 12/st to
4 inches is somewhere about a bulky or chunky I think -- if it didn't give
you a needle size to start with, I'd probably start with a 9 or 10 and do a
swatch from that.

Karen in MN

Old November 7th 03, 09:02 PM
Agres

(16-12) / 12 equals a thirty percent difference between the yarn called for
in the pattern and the guage recomemded for the yarn. That is a lot. That
is the difference between and a 30 inch bust and an 40 inch bust. More
importantly the stitches will not look right and the fabric will not feel
right or drape correctly.

If you like the pattern, get a yarn that is guaged approximatly 12/20. If
you like the yarn, get a pattern suitable for the gauge of the yarn. Then
swatch to make sure you are knitting on guage.

The big cost in knitting is time. Get a yarn and a pattern that work
together, and do not try to force fit a yarn to a pattern. If you try to
use the wrong yarn on a pattern, you will just waste both the yarn and the
time.

Aaron

Old November 7th 03, 11:29 PM
BDS2pds

Thanks Aaron. I will stick with the original chart and make the others later.
I have the book coming "men in knits- sweaters men will wear" and thought
perhaps I could switch to one of those patterns but thank you for your honest
opinion because I do not have time to do anything magic right now.

Old November 8th 03, 01:06 AM
Karen

I hope you'll post an opinion on that book after you get it. I saw it
advertised, but it's not in stock here, and I'm curious as to what it's
like.

Old November 8th 03, 02:43 AM
BDS2pds

You've got it Karen!!!
I am hoping for some interesting ones for my darling hubby. Blast the
greenhouse effect it is 80 degrees here in VA in November. When can a body
wear a sweater? The book shall be here next week I fear. Then some decisions
to make.
Old November 8th 03, 03:56 AM
Sonya Cirillo

This last statement is only true *IF* a person mistakenly tries to use
the 'new' yarn with the needles recommended for the pattern yarn.

A perfectly acceptable solution is to refigure the pattern so that it
fits the 'new' yarn gauge - then you get the best of both, the sweater
style you wanted using the yarn that you wanted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep - it *can* be done, I do it all the time . . . the main place you
could run into trouble is if there is much shaping - that part is a
little more tricky.

Sonya

Old November 8th 03, 06:01 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

BDS2
so your pattern`s guague is
3 st = 1 inch in width and
5 rows to 1 inch in height
your yarm is
4 st to = 1 inch in width ,,,,, now how many inches is your work to be
??? you can transliterate your pattern into inches and back into the
guague of YOUR yarn ,,, without changing needle size , when you PUSH
squeeze wool to adjust to the Guague given you will get a Harder knit
and Less warm , as the Air holes are the real Warming factor of a
knit.
mirjam

Old November 8th 03, 06:28 AM
Karen

"BDS2pds" wrote in message
You've got it Karen!!!
I am hoping for some interesting ones for my darling hubby. Blast the
greenhouse effect it is 80 degrees here in VA in November. When can a

body
wear a sweater? The book shall be here next week I fear. Then some

decisions
to make.

80 in VA???? Oh my. It's supposed to get down to 3 degrees here tonight
(Minnesota) -- I'm about ready to start looking for wool nightie patterns!

Karen in MN

WAY OT - rain gauge Kellie J. Berger Quilting 9 October 12th 04 01:27 PM
Drill Gauge -- not OT EL Beads 19 March 30th 04 06:02 PM
Midgauge Knitting Machine Artisan 70D for saleArtisan 70D Mid Gauge knitting machine for sale as is. The row Keetza Machine Knit 0 October 21st 03 06:40 PM
Help! Wire gauge question Steve & Susan Wright Beads 0 September 10th 03 01:58 PM
Gauge calculation Elby Yarn 11 August 11th 03 07:57 PM