Bit of a knitting pattern problem

Old November 5th 03, 06:31 AM
Jaime

Default Bit of a knitting pattern problem

Not so much a problem but I am wondering about this pattern I am using
to knit a hat for myself.

To start it says..cast on 40 stitches, working with both yarns
together. Okay no problem there

Then it goes on....
Knit 2 rows....I did those

Then it says.....work in stockinette for 6 inches

My question is do I begin the stockinette with a knit stitch (adding a
third knit row to the previous knit rows) or do I begin with the purl
stitch?

The pattern does not say so I am assuming it is okay to begin with the
knit stitch.

Old November 5th 03, 09:44 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Scratching my head ?????
i thnk yoiu should start as you want !!!
mirjam
ps No picture ?????

Old November 5th 03, 10:39 AM
Katherine Burgess

Jaime,
I would begin it with a K row unless the directions specifically say
otherwise. That would give you a decent "band", is you follow me.
HTH
Katherine

Old November 5th 03, 12:56 PM
Janise Ross

Jaime,
Are you working on straight needles or a circular needle? It sounds
like straight needles. If so, I would also start with a knit row.

Janise

Old November 5th 03, 01:26 PM
Jaime

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 12:56:07 GMT, "Janise Ross"
wrote:

Jaime,
Are you working on straight needles or a circular needle? It sounds
like straight needles. If so, I would also start with a knit row.

I'm working with straight needles. Size 15.

Old November 5th 03, 01:30 PM
Jaime

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 06:39:17 -0400, "Katherine Burgess"
wrote:

Jaime,
I would begin it with a K row unless the directions specifically say
otherwise. That would give you a decent "band", is you follow me.
HTH
Katherine

Yes I follow you. :-)

The directions simply say..........

Work in stockinette (knit 1 row, purl 1 row, repeat) for 6 inches

so I am assuming it is okay to begin with a knit row.
I'll try it this morning as soon as the kids leave for school and see
what happens.

Old November 5th 03, 01:47 PM
Ophelia

wrote:

Jaime,
I would begin it with a K row unless the directions specifically say
otherwise. That would give you a decent "band", is you follow me.
HTH
Katherine

Yes I follow you. :-)

The directions simply say..........

Work in stockinette (knit 1 row, purl 1 row, repeat) for 6 inches

so I am assuming it is okay to begin with a knit row.
I'll try it this morning as soon as the kids leave for school and see
what happens.

Jaime look at the picture of the pattern. If it looks like Stocking stitch
make sure the knit is at the front

Old November 5th 03, 02:04 PM
Mary

The custom is to begin stockinette stitch with a Knit row. In this
pattern it appears that the two knit rows you already did will form a
small ridge at the edge of the hat, which will be very nice! If you
begin the stockinette with a knit row you will simply set off that
ridge nicely and have the "knit side" of the stockinette on the
outside of the hat, with the "bumpy purl side" on the inside. If you
begin stockinette with the purl row you will not have the ridge set
off nicely and will have the "bumpy purl side" on the outside of the
hat. This all sounds much more confusing that it really is, so just
to satisfy yourself, make a very small practice swatch to see for
yourself.