Cross stitch computer programs

Old February 29th 04, 04:41 PM
Marie Lewis

Default Cross stitch computer programs

Please can anyone tell me the best cross stitch computer program to buy?

I do not want to waste money on too simple a program, but neither am I a
professional. I suppose up to $100 would be OK.

Thanks

Marie

Old February 29th 04, 08:20 PM
F.James Cripwell

"Marie Lewis" ) writes:
Please can anyone tell me the best cross stitch computer program to buy?

I do not want to waste money on too simple a program, but neither am I a
professional. I suppose up to $100 would be OK.

Thanks

Marie

Why not try some *free* software, which I have heard very good
things from. Go to http://www.dsv.su.se/~henrikbe/stitch

--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old March 1st 04, 03:07 PM
Sampler45

I'd like some info too. My DH has offered to buy me one for our 30th
wedding anniversary. Since I've never used one, I don't know where to start
looking or what to look for. Thanks.

Pat in NJ

Old March 2nd 04, 02:15 PM
Jimmie Robinson

Get some cross stitch magazines; they contain ads from several kinds of
software, and some of them will let you download them and use them for a few
days free so you can see how you like them. That's how I picked mine
(Pattern Maker) and I love it. Peggy (longtime lurker)
hlink.net...

Old March 2nd 04, 04:57 PM
Marie Lewis

I bought some cross stitch magazines today and they do not even mention
computer programs.

Ah well: I am going to a needlework show in Harrogate in April: maybe I will
find something out then.

Thank you

Marie

"Jimmie Robinson" wrote in message
Get some cross stitch magazines; they contain ads from several kinds of
software, and some of them will let you download them and use them for a

few
days free so you can see how you like them. That's how I picked mine
(Pattern Maker) and I love it. Peggy (longtime lurker)
hlink.net...

Old March 2nd 04, 06:14 PM
Susanne Hackbarth

Sampler45 wrote in message
hlink.net...
I'd like some info too. My DH has offered to buy me one for our 30th
wedding anniversary. Since I've never used one, I don't know where to

start
looking or what to look for. Thanks.

I have an older version of P.M.Stitch Creator, vs.2. http://www.stoik.com
and wasn't artistic enough to use it. Then tried their upgrade version
recently. It has possibilities. You might want to try it. There is a Try
before you buy download.

Susanne, So.Calif.

Old March 2nd 04, 07:22 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

If you go he
http://users.rcn.com/kdyer.dnai/faqs....html#computer

you will find a list of cross stitch software. Most of them have free,
downloadable versions. Once upon a time, I had tested quite a few of them.

The one I found that does the most for the dollars, is easy to use
(intuitive) and gives you great print outs (including manipulation of
those print outs) is PatternMaker. http://www.hobbyware.com

Dianne

Marie Lewis wrote:
I bought some cross stitch magazines today and they do not even mention
computer programs.

Ah well: I am going to a needlework show in Harrogate in April: maybe I will
find something out then.

Thank you

Marie

"Jimmie Robinson" wrote in message

Get some cross stitch magazines; they contain ads from several kinds of
software, and some of them will let you download them and use them for a

few

days free so you can see how you like them. That's how I picked mine
(Pattern Maker) and I love it. Peggy (longtime lurker)
rthlink.net...

Old March 2nd 04, 08:26 PM
Susanne Hackbarth

Dianne Lewandowski wrote in message
If you go he
http://users.rcn.com/kdyer.dnai/faqs....html#computer

The one I found that does the most for the dollars, is easy to use
(intuitive) and gives you great print outs (including manipulation of
those print outs) is PatternMaker. http://www.hobbyware.com

Hello Dianne: Thank you. I have an older version of this program, but just
downloaded and installed the limited trial version. I tried a picture of a
painting of a lady, who I think, might have been related to my Grandmother.
With no altering of the coloring, the design was, in my opinion, perfect.

Old March 2nd 04, 11:23 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Gridded designs aren't my forte - I "think" in curves, stitch in curves,
design in curves. There is a difference when designing in gridded form.
But I have found that PatternMaker does a decent job when a scanned
image is used as either an underlayment or converting direct to
stitches. The options are numerous.

I recently used it for a darning pattern to get a more cloth-like look
to the print-out. The cloth being as important to see as the single
darning threads. It was a breeze to do.

Dianne

Old March 3rd 04, 03:22 PM
Caryn

With no altering of the coloring, the design was, in my opinion, perfect.

I use PatternMaker, and am happy with it, but....

Check any area of that chart that has brown tones, because Patternmaker has
this funky little habit of using Olive Greens instead of browns!

Drives me nuts with my Kitty designs, as those start as photos of the cats that
I spend days on to turn into something stitchable without green!

Caryn

Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)