I won a ribbon! and show report (long)

Old March 11th 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Default I won a ribbon! and show report (long)

Our quilt show in general was a great success. More about that later.
Now I must brag----I won a blue ribbon, Best Pieced Bed Quilt for my
Civil War Love Letters quilt. This is the quilt with 121 foundation
pieced blocks based on the book by Rosemary Youngs. Yes, I know you
want a picture but that would require updating my web site which
hasn't been done in years.

I served as chairman of the raffle basket committee. The raffle
baskets made about $2400. Big money makers were anything with fabric
and the American Girl Doll. The guild purchased a doll after our
request for a donation from the company was denied because our charity
was not for a child under 12. Guild members had fun making clothes,
bedding, etc. The second highest money maker was the batik basket.
Bright's, novelties and 1800's followed in that order. I had pushed
for baskets without a quilting theme but they didn't do very well. In
the future I would recommend a "Night on the Town" basket with gift
certificates to local restaurants and maybe a generic teen basket with
their type of gift certificates. Even the baby baskets didn't do very
well. The baby girl basket had a size 2 quilted jacket and a crib
quilt along with a stuffed animal and bedtime books. The baby boy
quilt had a hand knit sweater and a quilted play mat along with the
stuffed animal and books. All the baskets looked wonderful thanks to
my friend Docia who owns The Quilt Merchant in Winfield, Illinois.
Display is one of her gifts. I gathered the stuff, divided it into the
themes and she arranged each basket so that everything could be seen.
She is amazing.

The weather was our friend. We have had a stormy start to the month.
Thursday afternoon set-up was dry, sunny with temperatures in the low
60's but very windy (more about that later). Friday was beautiful
which brought the dedicated quilters from longer distances. It was a
great day for a drive. Saturday was too rainy to work in the yard but
dry enough that you didn't mind going someplace. This was great
because if Saturday had been as nice as Friday everyone who worked
during the week would have wanted to spend the day in the yard. This
would have been our first good Saturday since the snow melted. For
those of you who live in no-snow zones there is always a mess to clear
once the snow melts. Attendance was up 150 over our last show in 2006.

About that windy set-up day. . . .One of my quilts almost blew away as
it was being carried inside. A friend was helping me carry my quilts
into the show. There were two stacks in the back of my van, the larger
two quilts in one stack and the miniatures in a second stack. My
friend took the larger quilts then told me to pile the miniatures on
top. That was my mistake. When the wind caught the top miniature she
didn't have a hand on top of the pile. Each quilt was in a separate
clear plastic bag which had been given out at our last guild meeting.
I had laughed when they gave me such a large bag for a miniature but
wanting to cooperate with the sign-in committee I dutifully put each
miniature in a bag. The wind caught the top bag and it just sailed
across the parking lot. The miniature quilt came out of the bag with
the bag sailing one direction and the quilt another. Of course this
miniature was made with 30's feed sack fabrics and solid white. When
I reached the miniature it was wedged under the rear wheel of a car.
Trying to stay calm, I just shook it out and walked inside.
Fortunately there was no waiting line so I calmly checked in all but
the dirty quilt and ran home to rinse the mud off. The front is OK.
The back has a few shadowy stains left. I will try washing again to
see if those marks will come out. The quilt was dry by morning and it
hung in the show.

The entire show was a nice break for me. My husband worked from home
on Thursday and Friday. Thursday I was only gone from the house for
about an hour. Friday I left at 7:00 a.m. and returned at 9:00 p.m.
Saturday I was gone from 8:30 to 5:30. A friend stayed with Mom on
Friday. My sister came Friday evening so was there with Mom on
Saturday. Sunday was Mom's 94th birthday. My older son cooked a great
birthday meal for her. My younger son brought his new camera to take
special pictures. We had to move a few things to get an uncluttered
background for the pictures. I had just dumped everything in the
living room when I returned from the show Saturday night. Sorry I
don't have a picture to show you but Mom enjoyed her day.

Monday I finished the raffle basket paperwork before I forgot things.
Yesterday I cleared the mess from the living room. Today I can get
back to work in my studio when Mom is napping. Life is good.

Susan
Old March 11th 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Susan Laity Price wrote:

Our quilt show in general was a great success. More about that later.
Now I must brag----I won a blue ribbon, Best Pieced Bed Quilt for my
Civil War Love Letters quilt. This is the quilt with 121 foundation
pieced blocks based on the book by Rosemary Youngs. Yes, I know you
want a picture but that would require updating my web site which
hasn't been done in years.

Congratulations, Susan! And yes, we *do* want a picture. G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old March 11th 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Congratulations, Susan. Sounds like a fun day.
..
In message , Susan Laity
Price writes

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 11th 09, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_6_]

Congratulations on the ribbon - you're definitely entitled to brag. I know I
would! But I sure do wish you had a picture to share with us.

The show sounds like it was a big success and lots of fun, but I'm sure
you're looking forward to getting back to "normal." Happy birthday to your
Mom (a couple of days late).

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old March 11th 09, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
onetexsun

Congratulations! Now, take a pic and put it on flickr.com or
webshots.com or any of the quick photo sites. You won't have to do
much beyond registering (it's easy and fast) and then upload your
photos. No update of website needed.

You won a ribbon! The quilt is obviously wonderful and amazing and we
NEED to see it. BG

Sunny
Old March 11th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Yes, please share. My brain sometimes has issues taking print and making
a pic in my head. I'ld love to see your work. Congrats!!
Take Care
Joanna
Alberta

Old March 11th 09, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Wow, what adventures! I am so happy you won a blue ribbon, but you
know it is torture to tell us that and not provide a picture! Thanks
for all the good raffle ideas -you certainly did well!
Roberta in D

Old March 13th 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Sounds like you had a great weekend Susan! Congratulations on your
ribbon!
Debra

My art for sale at:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/DesignsByDeb
Old March 13th 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Wow. How wonderful. (The part about the wind and the quilt was
terrifying.) Congratulations on the ribbon and congratulations on the
terrific basket earnings. Glorious. Good, good for you. Atta girl. Polly

Old March 15th 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C[_3_]

Many, many congrats on your blue ribbon win and a successful show. BUT
20 lashes with a wet noodle for no pics!!!!! ;-)

Best regards,
Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/users/desert_quilter

Long arm report Karen Garza Quilting 8 August 8th 06 09:35 PM
Quilt Show Report ... MAQF 2006 (LONG!) Pat in Virginia Quilting 14 March 10th 06 02:43 PM
My first quilt show ribbon! Bronnie Quilting 16 September 5th 05 09:20 PM
show and tell: ribbon bracelet [email protected] Beads 20 August 5th 05 05:45 AM
Rosemont Quilt Show Report (long) Susan Laity Price Quilting 4 March 30th 04 06:25 AM