not knowing

Old December 17th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default not knowing

Amen. Polly
"Taria" wrote My Brother 1500 is a great machine. I think cheap models of
better
brands can be as bad as cheapie models of low end brands. It isn't
that a machine might only last 2 years but that the 2 years can
be hell! Biggest problem I noticed is low end SIngers and other
cheapies won't hold tension. That is a killer.
I bought a Bernina 830 (old style) on Ebay in a cabinet for $300
last summer. It is a dream of a machine. I would bet it is the
best sewing machine money I ever spent. I really just wanted the
cabinet to drop my 930 in. I had planned to sell the 830 but can't
bear to part with it. I picked up a Singer 503 and a 401 in the
last few months too. They are both great models that sew terrific
even if they are as old as I am. I would rather a SInger 301 or
99 that sew well than a fancy new machine that can't hold tension.

Old December 18th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

I'm with you, Taria! My faithful old 301 and the two FWs are incredible
machines for the money. And my 30-year-old Kenmore is a true workhorse,
though I confess it doesn't machine quilt as well as the 301 and the
straight stitching is not as perfect as the FWs. I have never tried a
Brother, so I can't weigh in on the original query.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

"Taria" wrote in message
My Brother 1500 is a great machine. I think cheap models of better
brands can be as bad as cheapie models of low end brands. It isn't
that a machine might only last 2 years but that the 2 years can
be hell! Biggest problem I noticed is low end SIngers and other
cheapies won't hold tension. That is a killer.
I bought a Bernina 830 (old style) on Ebay in a cabinet for $300
last summer. It is a dream of a machine. I would bet it is the
best sewing machine money I ever spent. I really just wanted the
cabinet to drop my 930 in. I had planned to sell the 830 but can't
bear to part with it. I picked up a Singer 503 and a 401 in the
last few months too. They are both great models that sew terrific
even if they are as old as I am. I would rather a SInger 301 or
99 that sew well than a fancy new machine that can't hold tension.

Taria

Joanna wrote:
I guess I should add a little. I did just buy a Brother. It was a Innovis
80, normally priced around $800 and I got it for $500 on sale. Most
people are right in you get what you pay for. If your just hoping it will
last a year or two it might do just fine. I did look at the machine your
thinking about, but I decided against it because of the other deals they
had going at the time. I also got the quilting table with mine for free.
For me buying used wasn't an option. But I did try to find some used
ones. They just aren't around in my area at the time I was looking. So go
try the machine that's your best bet.
Good Luck
Joanna

Old December 19th 08, 08:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

Hi Karen. I have a Brother XL5440 (at least I think that's what it is) that
I bought at Walmart for $179 about five years ago and it's still going
strong. It has been a real workhorse for me. I like Brother machines so much
that I got a Brother embroidery machine too. I want a new workhorse though
that has a few more bells and whistles like the auto bobbin winder, drop in
bobbin and stuff like that. Brother is a good product as far as I'm
concerned. Good luck with your decision.

Hugs,
Mika

"Karen Z" wrote in message
anything about Brother machines i would like your opinions. can't seem
to find any place to get my machine (simplicity) serviced but on joanns
e-mail sales today she has a Brother XL2610---59 stitches and 25 built
in stitches , free arm, auto needle threader,auto bobbin winder, drop in
bobbin and 25 year guarantee. and it only weighs 11 lbs. it is regular
$149 and on sale for $99.99 and free shipping.
ok what do you think? should i go for it?
is brother a good machine?
thanks
karen(kz)