Old Age and Stealth

Old December 16th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_3_]

Default Old Age and Stealth

So then -- freezer paper for patterns? is that right?

--
Kate in MI

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I put 2 pieces of fabric right sides together and stitch around the piece,
cut a slit and turn it. This works for almost everything except tiny
circles. Next I machine stitch around the appliqués with a variation on
the stitch that's used for hems (3 straight stitches forward, one zig).
Sometimes I load two threads on top and do a blanket stitch.
If I'm having a serious attack of 'cute', I stuff little bits of
batting under some pieces for puff.
So far as I know, this method survives baby use and Daddy helping with
the laundry. Don't know which is rougher.
I do dearly love to see needleturn at the quilt shows; they're lovely.
Polly

"Kate G." wrote Mz Polly -- if you don't to raw edge applique
(fusible?) -- then how do you
do it? Surely not needleturn by hand? What magic trick(s) do you have
for increasing washability of applique quilts?

And Stella is Stunning.... I mean simply DEEE....VINE!!

Old December 16th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Well, Kate. This bug was a real pattern printed on paper. I just cut out
the paper pieces, laid them on top of the fabric cut generally the right
size (2 pieces, right sides facing) and stitched around. Wasn't going for
total accuracy.
If it's necessary to do the same piece multiple times, I cut it out of
whatever grade of sandpaper is around. Plain old printer paper will usually
do just fine - you don't do it any harm - just stitch around. Hey, this is
supposed to be easy and fun, right? Polly

Old December 17th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

We had Amy Bradley do a workshop and program at our guild last year and I
gotta tell you, I don't know when I've laughed as much as I did with her.
She is funny and talented and just as cute as can be.

Our guild did new "personality" blocks using her Quilters Yearbook book.
They were hysterical. I have the Peek a Boo book. I'd love to do a
wallhanging.

Her quilts are not "my" quilts but I sure own a lot of her patterns!

Cindy

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
The pattern Snugly Bugly, Stella Divine by Amy Bradley called to me. The
pattern calls for what we call raw-edge appliqué - not acceptable with the
probability of brutal laundry so I'm forced to improvise. When I came to
the eyes, after studying them a minute, I realized that they are a circle
that is ½ red (for the eyelids) and ½ white for the eyes.
Aha!
I stitched together a skinny strip of red to a skinny strip of white.
Pressed. Centered a nickel on the seam, traced around, cut, gathered and
tadah! The eyes are done and quite sturdy, methinks.
Stella is such a funny bug. You can see her (maybe) at
http://www.amybradleydesigns.com/abd175.html or you might be seeing the
weather report for Montana which is not so good just now. Polly

Old December 17th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Polly, Sulky makes a 12 wt thread that does a beautiful buttonhole appliqué
stitch. I even use an ordinary needle, not an embroidery needle or
anything. I use a ton of the black for this appliqué.

Cindy

Old December 17th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

OH, I forgot to tell you that I do the fusible appliqué with the raw edge
and then use the buttonhole appliqué stitch. I did it on a table topper that
I've washed probably 30 times and it hasn't hurt it any.

Cindy

Old December 17th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:41:25 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Well, Kate. This bug was a real pattern printed on paper. I just cut out
the paper pieces, laid them on top of the fabric cut generally the right
size (2 pieces, right sides facing) and stitched around. Wasn't going for
total accuracy.
If it's necessary to do the same piece multiple times, I cut it out of
whatever grade of sandpaper is around. Plain old printer paper will usually
do just fine - you don't do it any harm - just stitch around. Hey, this is
supposed to be easy and fun, right? Polly

I like your method! I also found I like Buzz Nobel and Flora Flutter
from that same series. I might have to do them someday.
Debra

My art for sale at:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/DesignsByDeb

Applique by Stealth Bronnie Quilting 36 May 2nd 05 11:00 AM
Stealth blocks again... And little old sewing machines... Kate Dicey Quilting 1 October 19th 04 06:18 PM