OT Turkey Alert!

Old November 26th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

Default Help! was Dogs eating turkey was OT Turkey Alert!

Amen to that. It gets up barf and loads of hair.
Gen

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
Doggie muddy feet and doggie barf convinced me to buy my own carpet
shampooing machine. It's amazing and I love it! It's a Bissell Pro Heat
2X- around $180 and a great investment. Ask Gen- she loves hers, too!-
you'll be shocked at what that baby gets out of your carpets. Pure mud
and gobs and gobs of pet hair that's worked it's way down into the nap-
even with vacuuming religiously it still finds all kinds of yuck in there.
Wonderful machine and not difficult to use..... even for an ol' arthritic
like me. VBG

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Sorry, Pauline. I just assumed that since Leslie had four much loved QIs
inside that she would be the expert.
We have carpet and a Yorkie who does occasionally kiss a toad to see
if he'll turn into a prince. The hurling that follows reminds him not to
do that again (for a while)
The procedure is simple. Scrape up the solids, blot up the sour and
then we follow the instructions on the Woolite Carpet Pet Stain spray
can. We've used other brands and they've all worked just fine. Sometimes
it takes more than one application; never any permanent damage.
I know the HGtv people are just pure goofy about hardwood floors but
we won't do that again. We had truly magnificent pecan floors for 25
years. They are loud, cold, and, if you'll pardon me, just a little
puddle of puppy pee can do serious damage.
It's time for me to get going but there's a 'furthermore'. The
magazines and tv folks have also gone crazy about stainless steel
appliances. Can you just imagine how many times a day you'd have to
polish off sticky fingerprints and doggy nose snuffles? Polly

"Pauline" wrote in message
I know we should look at alternatives. When we redid the kitchen &
family room, we put tile on those floors & in the entryway. We were
going to put hardwood thru the rest of the house with some area rugs, but
all the flooring people have told us the dog will scratch the hardwood.
Personally, I like a "lived in" look, but I know DH would have a heart
attack if the dog started scratching the floor. We do play with him in
the house too; he likes to play "keep away" & it would be hard for him to
do that on a slippery floor. I know - are we designing the house around
the dog or around the people - clearly, it's around the dog! Someone
suggested we look at commercial carpet, because it is more stain
resistant - but it doesn't sound very homey to me. Maybe there are nicer
commercial carpets than I realize.

Poor dog - clearly something didn't agree with him - he threw up 5 times
& poor DH had to clean them all up. Since my hip is so new, I can't get
down on the floor yet. Liam slept all night - no interest in dinner,
but now that it's time to go to bed, he seems to be feeling better.
Sure wish they could talk

Pauline
Northern California

"Dreamweaver" wrote in message
I'm no help with the spot removing dilemma but I would suggest other
flooring besides carpeting because you will end up right back where you
started! Just a thought!!!

Dreamweaver

"Pauline" wrote in message
We had an Irish Setter that stole food all the time. One day my
mother slid the oven rack with a ham in a roasting pan out. She must
have gotten distracted, because when she turned back to the store, the
ham was gone & Tara (the dog) was nowhere to be found. She had stolen
it & taken it downstairs to the garage. Bad doggie!

Question - does anyone have any proven techniques for getting dog
throw-up out of the carpet? Our 3 1/2 year old Brittany eats
everything he runs across. We don't always see it happening, but we
always find the dogs throw-up. It happens about every other month.
We are almost ready to put new carpet down & after the dog threw up
this afternoon, DH said & why are we putting new carpet down?
(Because the old is disgusting & we knew we were replacing it, so we
didn't care if we got paint on it when we were painting.)

Pauline
Northern California
"Dreamweaver" wrote in message
She was a sight to behold! I thought her belly would burst it was so
full, and you're right, all she could really do was lay around and
sleep! She was quite the character.

Dreamweaver

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I seem to remember something about turkey containing something that
makes people sleepy. After 22 pounds of turkey, that should have
been some lovely long nap. Polly

"Dreamweaver" wrote in message
LOL!!! You reminded me of the time my mom cooked a 25 lb turkey
for 4 of us! Lots of leftovers...right?...see this one
coming?......Brother took platter out next day to make a sandwich,
left it on the counter, and yep, our Irish Setter had the best and
worst Thanksgiving of her life!!!! She was miserable after eating
about 22 lbs of turkey but boy was she happy!!!!!

That poor baby!
Dreamweaver (she was miserable for days and the post clean up
wasn't exactly enjoyable either!!!!)

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Yeah, that's kind of sad about no drumsticks - and no wishbone. I
remember the time my sister tried the method where you put the
bird in a paper bag and set it to cook very slowly overnight.
They were blasted out of bed by the smoke alarms. And the time
she put her turkey in a sink full of cold water to thaw -
forgetting that their lab could easily remove anything at counter
height that was appealing. He did. Labradors are sweet and loyal
dogs but they are tall. You'd think she would have noticed.
Polly

"Dreamweaver" wrote in message
But Mz. Polly!! How can there be a fight over who gets the
drumsticks if'n there ain't no drumsticks? BG Does sound a
whole lot easier though!

My mamma used to cook that bird until it fell off the bone, and
yet it was always moist and yummy and the gravy was heavenly,
just heavenly!!!

Dreamweaver, who loves the dark meat!!!!

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
It is time to move your frozen turkey from the freezer to the
refrigerator. If you 'are' a turkey, this is a good time to
disappear. It takes a long time for a Big Bird to thaw. The
quick way of putting the frozen bird in a sink of cold water and
constantly changing the water is a pain. Start early if you can
and simply move the turkey to the refrigerator to slowly thaw.
I'm trying a new turkey production this year. Carving a
turkey looks good in old movies but there are not any carving
artists in our family. I've bought boned turkey breasts and hope
to get away with an easier time of it. Sounds good, don't you
think? Polly

Old November 26th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roy/Jane Kay

Default OT Carving a turkey

Carving a turkey is not too hard if you use the restaurant method. If you
like to have it all cut before serving let the turkey cool some (my MIL is
roasting hers today, will carve & refrigerate it until tomorrow & rewarm the
meat at dinner time)

1- Remove the wing and leg from one side. Joints should be easy to move if
the turkey is done.
2- Separate the wing into a drumstick-like upper part and a smaller, crispy
skinned lower part, remove the wing tip and save for broth, or eat the skin
off it right away while the skin is crispy and hot. You deserve a treat.
3- Separate the leg into drumstick & thigh. You can leave the drumstick
whole or cut the meat off. Cut the thigh meat off and slice it. Discard
bones or save for broth
4- With a sharp knife, cut down next to the breastbone on the side you took
the leg & wing off. Cut along the ribs until the whole breast can be pulled
off in 1 piece.
5- Slice the breast perpendicular to the breastbone edge as thick or thin as
you like
6- Repeat on the other side
7- Turn turkey upside down and use a fork to pull off the meat from the
hollows on each side of the back & anything that was left from the wings &
thighs
8- Make sure you got all the stuffing out
9- Discard bones or save with the less desirable skin & wingtips etc to
boil for more broth.
10- Bag up all the less attractive, scrappy, pieces of meat in packages for
turkey hash, soup, pot pie, nachos, or casserole right away & put them in
the fridge (or car) to chill, also any meat you are sure will be too much
for the meal package separately for sandwiches or leftovers-to-go for family
to take home. The sooner it is cooled the better it will keep.

If you carve at the table, in step 4 leave the breast meat on the turkey but
still cut perpendicular to the breastbone, not parallel. the meat will be
more tender because it will be cut across the grain, not with it. Cut slices
the whole length of the turkey and then take the slices off a few at a time
to serve.

I read about this about 10 years ago & it has worked for me ever since.

I cool meat & soup in my car in the wintertime, It is plenty cold out
there & less likely to be carried off by wild things than if I cooled it
outside, & less strain on the fridge.

Jane in NE Ohio- Snow is 5-20 inches deep in my yard- 5 inches under the
trees and 20 inches where it has drifted.

Old November 26th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

OMG. Come on down to Columbus----beautiful day. We're putting up outside
lights in shirtsleeves. Sunny and clear. Of course, it won't last.
Gen

"

Old November 27th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default OT Turkey Alert!

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:47:44 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Yeah, that's kind of sad about no drumsticks - and no wishbone. I remember
the time my sister tried the method where you put the bird in a paper bag
and set it to cook very slowly overnight. They were blasted out of bed by
the smoke alarms. And the time she put her turkey in a sink full of cold
water to thaw - forgetting that their lab could easily remove anything at
counter height that was appealing. He did. Labradors are sweet and loyal
dogs but they are tall. You'd think she would have noticed. Polly

When I worked in a grocery store meat dept. there was a phone call
asking about how to cook a turkey so the skin wasn't so tough. She
had taken the turkey out of the mesh bag, washed it and cooked it. I
was juicy, but the skin was tough as shoe leather so they had to cut
that off. Turned out she had never removed the plastic bag it was
packed in before cooking, so the skin she was asking about was
actually the plastic bag.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/designsbydeb/
Old November 27th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:44:14 -0600, Susan Laity Price
wrote:

My son often cooks turkey breast when he doesn't have time to deal
with the carcass. Yesterday he planned to make rolled turkey breast
for his friends. This is just a simple way of using the boned turkey
breast and rolling the stuffing inside. The breast had been in the
refrigerator for two days. He took it out about 3:00 p.m. and
discovered the center was still frozen. After an hour in water there
was still a little ice in the center. Forget rolling it. He put the
stuffing in the bottom of the pan and cooked the turkey spread flat on
top. Worked well and took much less cooking time. Wasn't as pretty as
a rolled turkey but taste was great. Only problem with boned turkey
breast is no turkey soup the following week.

Susan

A lack of bones is no excuse for not making soup. I just made turkey
soup for the first time in my life and just used left over turkey meat
that had been frozen in some chicken broth and the turkey pan
drippings. It was the most awesome soup I've ever made.

I added mixed veggies, some herbs, and chicken stock, and that was
about it.

I'm cooking my bone in turkey breast in the morning. It only takes
about 2 hours and will feed the two of us for a week. I doesn't get
much better than that!
Old November 29th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

Last year, DH & I celebrated Thanksgiving with one of his cousin's
daughter's family - they live very close to us. I totally forgot that at
the end of the evening last year, the husband walked outside to the garbage
with the stripped turkey carcass in a plastic bag. He was placing it in the
outdoor garbage. DH & I talked about it on the way home - we couldn't
believe he wasn't going to make soup out of it. So - last night, John is
headed out the door with the turkey carcass in a plastic bag - I said,
wait - is that the turkey carcass. He said yes - - - I said, are you
throwing it away - - - yes, he says - - - do you want it. YES!! So into
the refrigerator it went for me to take home. Two minutes later, he is
headed out the back door with a huge bag of garbage. He stopped, looked at
me & said - Do you want the recyclables?? I'll never live it down, but, in
my big soup pot, I have turkey soup/stew almost ready for tonight's dinner!
My husband calls it gruel, because I put lots of veggies in it & one scant
cup of rice & it ends up more stew like, than soup like.

Can't wait till next year's turkey carcass

Pauline
Northern California

Old November 29th 08, 05:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

i'm always amazed at what some folks dont do with what they have at hand.
gobble gobble, literally, lol.
j.

"Pauline" wrote...

Old November 29th 08, 05:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

I wish I could tell you the dog grabbed the turkey off the stove. I wish I
could tell you I dropped it on the floor and it got coated with quilting
fuzzies.
Nope.
It smelled funny.
I pondered about it overnight and tossed it in the trash. It just
smelled funny.
So we had a really very nice Thanksgiving feast without the Big
Bird. Maybe it would have been okay but I just couldn't take the risk. DD
had asked me to teach her how to roast a turkey. Fortunately, she had so
much company come in that she missed this one. Wasn't a good time for
cooking lessons. At least I wasn't appearing live on the food network.
More Spam, anyone? Polly

Old November 29th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Where'd you buy it? You should let them know!
Roberta in D

Old November 29th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Take your receipt in and tell them they owe you the ENTIRE DINNER. they
ruined yours. On Turkey Day of all days!
This is a good time for tears....let them know just how EMBARRASSED you
were.and let them know you lost Face with your DD.

Butterfly

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I wish I could tell you the dog grabbed the turkey off the stove. I wish I
could tell you I dropped it on the floor and it got coated with quilting
fuzzies.
Nope.
It smelled funny.
I pondered about it overnight and tossed it in the trash. It just
smelled funny.
So we had a really very nice Thanksgiving feast without the Big
Bird. Maybe it would have been okay but I just couldn't take the risk.
DD had asked me to teach her how to roast a turkey. Fortunately, she had
so much company come in that she missed this one. Wasn't a good time for
cooking lessons. At least I wasn't appearing live on the food network.
More Spam, anyone? Polly

ALERT!!!!!! ALERT!!!!! Don't go to VeronicaLa's message it's worsethan prono. [email protected] Needlework 27 February 6th 08 02:06 PM
OT--Reheating the turkey joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska Quilting 4 November 25th 05 06:24 AM
Crochet Turkey? Sew-Sew Lady Yarn 2 September 14th 04 03:01 AM
Happy TURKEY day! Kellie J. Berger Quilting 7 November 29th 03 10:31 AM
Crochet Turkey ShawnAnne Yarn 12 August 30th 03 05:19 AM