Need Your Input for group

Old November 6th 03, 12:31 AM
Katherine Burgess

Melody,
I have sent this to myself to answer later.
Katherine

"Angelicsong" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
Hi Everyone,

To start our pages I need the following info you can email it back to me

at:
, this will help not to clog the RCTY newsgroup

up.

- Your name:
- Your email (the one you prefer to use):
- Your Birthday:
- Wedding Anniversary:
- What you like to do best, Knit, Crochet, Spin, Needlework?
- Where you live (what city/town and country). There is a would map on the
new site and you will be able to see where everyone is!!

A little biography of yourself: ie how many children, ages, male/female or
any interesting tid bit you'd like to share.

If you'd like to send me a recipe, poem, story, craft tip or link. Please
include it or send it along when you can!!

For those of you who are not interested -- please ignore this little
interruption. lol

Loads of hugs,
Melody (Angelicsong)

Old November 6th 03, 12:39 AM
Martin

Sorry Angelicsong but I seem to have missed the start of this thread,
possibly due to server problems. What are the "our pages" that you refer to?

RCTY is open. Everything is transparent (I hope). If your intention is to
enhance the group, why not fill in the following questionairre and post it
to the group? I'm sure that you'd get a better response if you did.

- Your name:
- Your email (the one you prefer to use):
- Your Birthday:
- Wedding Anniversary:
- What you like to do best, Knit, Crochet, Spin, Needlework?
- Where you live (what city/town and country). There is a would map on the

Cheers, Martin

Old November 6th 03, 01:07 AM
Mischief

Michelle, I agree with you that passwords can be broken or received by
way too many people. I agree that security of a person's identify is
very important and that is why my e-mail address here is modified and
why I don't provide a lot of information about myself.

A list that is held for only members of a group is one thing but giving
others access to this information is something I have great difficulty
with.

Darlene in Toronto
http://members.rogers.com/craftkitten

Sent using Virtual Access 5.50 - download your freeware copy now
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

Old November 6th 03, 01:07 AM
Angelicsong

Gee's Slinky are you that suspicious of everyone? Relax and take a breath
will you?

No one is asking you to join anything you don't want to so get a grip!!!

As to who my roommate is, it's my little dog (shihpoo) Katie and the last
time I checked -- she couldn't use the computer!! Good thing too, all those
dog newsgroups out there and you'd never get her off the darn 'puter!

I am a disabled woman who in my spare time Founded and up untill recently
was President of, a local charity group called 'Angel Hugs'. We knit,
crochet and quilt for preemies, abused children, local women's shelter and
for those who are on the street. My website is:
http://angelhugsca.tripod.com/ please feel free to check the site out. Our
charity has been going for the last 5 years and have donated over 4,000
items to those who need a hug!

From the sound of it YOU could use a hug, someone has obviously hurt you
tremendously!! I feel very sorry for you, you have nothing better to do than
lash out at people that you don't even really know. You are pathetic.

I also like to dabble on the computer and yes make lovely little internet
pages with all those cutesy little things you seem to hate so much. Sorry if
that offends you but other people enjoy those things.

Melody

"SlinkyToy" wrote in message

I must be missing a post, as I don't see where there was an offer made
to put any sort of protection on any pages.

That being said, how secure can a password be that is distributed via
email to anyone who asks for it? How secure can a password be that is
stored in a low-encrypted format on a server not controlled by the
page owner, said page owner having no say whatsoever about the
security of that server?

Another group I participate in (majordomo, not USENET) has a message
board behind a .htaccess/.htpass UID/password pair. Anyone who
subscribes to the list receives the UID/pass via email once they
respond to the automated majordomo "did you join this list?" query.
Several thousand individuals have that information, including quite a
few spammers who regularly exhort us to buy pharmaceuticals from
third-world countries and to visit porn sites that make even my hair
stand on end.

Very few sysadmins at large ISPs bother to put REAL security measures
in place for their customers. People who NEED security recognize that
fact and pay good money to have their servers and sites protected
adequately.

It isn't about "trying to do something nice", its about the potential
illicit use of the personal information you are soliciting. As a
regular reader of this forum for two years (give or take) I can't
recall more than a handful of posts from you (just asked google: 8
posts since June 2003), yet you ask us to blithely provide to you our
names, our locations, our birthdates, and similar information for our
spouses and offspring. Given this information it takes very little
effort to obtain drivers' license numbers, Social Security numbers,
and other information used in identify theft schemes.

What's to say that YOU aren't going to misuse the information? And if
you don't, how do YOU plan to protect this information, once you have
it, when it resides in a tidy little Access or Excel file on your
computer? Do you trust your spouse/roommate/housemate not to mine
your machine for useful tidbits of information?

The bottom line is, if you don't want the world to have access to
information you shouldn't put the information on a website unless you
are certain of the security protecting the information.

Michelle
Who worked in Defense data security
/geek

PS -- where do you get this overweening urge to fix what ain't broke?
RCTY has been going on for years without spiffy YahooGroups and
without pretty little webpages complete with cheezy mp3 streams and
cute little animated graphics. It ain't broke, why do you suppose it
needs fixed?

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 23:26:47 GMT, Mischief
wrote:

You say that birthdates would be password protected. The e-mail
addresses of members should also be protected because posting a real
e-mail address on even a "private" site can mean spam.

Old November 6th 03, 01:25 AM
SlinkyToy

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 01:07:55 GMT, "Angelicsong"
wrote:

Gee's Slinky are you that suspicious of everyone? Relax and take a breath
will you?

No dear, I'm not suspicious of everyone. I am, however, jealous of my
privacy. Thanks to several years working in the defense industry as a
computer geek I am also jealous of everyone else's privacy. Data
security (yours, mine, and everyone else's) should be of concern to
everyone.

I am a disabled woman who in my spare time Founded and up untill recently
was President of, a local charity group called 'Angel Hugs'. We knit,
crochet and quilt for preemies, abused children, local women's shelter and
for those who are on the street. My website is:
http://angelhugsca.tripod.com/ please feel free to check the site out. Our
charity has been going for the last 5 years and have donated over 4,000
items to those who need a hug!

Good for you. Too many disabled people choose to wallow in self-pity.
You apparently aren't one of them.

From the sound of it YOU could use a hug, someone has obviously hurt you
tremendously!! I feel very sorry for you, you have nothing better to do than
lash out at people that you don't even really know. You are pathetic.

No, I don't need a hug, and I haven't been tremendously hurt. I'm not
lashing out, I'm asking pointed questions that you apparently don't
like about an issue you should be thinking about, given the scope of
information you're asking to be entrusted with. The fact that you
aren't addressing those questions says something, don't you think?

I also like to dabble on the computer and yes make lovely little internet
pages with all those cutesy little things you seem to hate so much. Sorry if
that offends you but other people enjoy those things.

I'm offended by the bandwidth wasted by cutesy mp3s and by cheezy
little flashing cursors. I'm also offended by popups of any sort,
animated advertising that flashes over a page I'm attempting to read,
and numerous other "improvements" that have been made to the
"internet" thanks to the advent of the GUI, web browsers and cheap
internet access for everyone. I'm also offended by dataminers and
anyone who thinks I'm sucker enough to cough up personal information
just because they ask.

Melody

Congratulations, you're up to 14 posts according to Google.

Old November 6th 03, 07:41 AM
Angelicsong

Thank you Martin, that's a great idea!

My name is Melody Anderson
My prefered email is:
My B-day is June 5th/55
I don't have a Wedding Anniversary because I've never been married.
My preferred craft is: Knitting. I tried crochet a few times but can't do it
well at all, so I gave up. BG
I live in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada (that's close to Toronto)
Other info about me: I have 3 other sisters (one younger, 2 older), 8 nieces
and nephews, 1 greatniece and 1 greatnephew and another greatbaby coming in
June/04 (yippee!).

I have a little green scooter that I use to get around shopping, or for
going to church (St. John of the Cross, Roman Catholic) which I attend every
Sunday - unless I'm sick.

I just had an emergency gall bladder operation on Sept. 23rd. The symptoms
weren't much so I put off going to emerg and got septic. They managed to
remove a golf ball size stone and took the gallbladder with it. My favorite
saying right now is: 'I regret that I have but one gallbladder to give for
my country'. lol Yes, it's a sick joke but wadda ya gonna do? That's just
me being silly! Just glad it's over with and out of the way!

Oh, and I have a big sense of humour! Hate slapstick comedy - never like
seeing people hurt and laughed at. Also don't like practical jokes, again
don't like seeing some jerk get their jollys from someone elses misery.

I'll be putting up some recipes on the new site and poems, when I figure out
where to build it. My Angel Hugs site is on Tripod and it works nicely but
I've been looking at Bravenet because I can password protect the new site
there. Just not sure where a 'secure' enough site will be for everyone but
I'm open to suggestions.

Well, that's all for now. Thanks for asking!

Melody 0

Old November 6th 03, 09:09 AM
Ria Van de Velde

OK, I think i misunderstood. I like the idea of knowing some faces
to the names. But I was thinking you would make a site with some info
about all of us, the kind Martin has done with our projects.
A website like that is one option. A yahoo album is another. In a
Yahoo album everyone can have control over her or his own info. That
way nobody has to be the "keeper of the album", and we are not lost
when you can no longer do it.

If you want to start a Yahoo-group, I don't see the point of it.

Ria

.. On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 22:25:14 GMT, "Angelicsong"
wrote:

[...]

riavdv at pandora dot be
Old November 6th 03, 10:49 AM
Ria Van de Velde

Melody. I hope you are not angry with me. I had not seen this when I
posted this other message. I know that you want to be nice and that
is what I want to be too. I want to keep this as easy as possible,
that's all. I suggest that we only put info in your site that we
don't mind sharing with the world. No need to put email-adresses
there for those who don't want. OK?

Knuffel (hug)
Ria

Old November 6th 03, 11:13 AM
Sonya Cirillo

Here, here!!!!

I too, must have missed a post - not quite sure exactly what was going
on but I'm with you - I'm slightly less security wary than you but not
by much and I've been on RCTY for 8 years and agree - don't fix what's
not broken!!!

Sonya

wrote:

[...]

From the sound of it YOU could use a hug, someone has obviously hurt you

Old November 6th 03, 12:29 PM
Ophelia

"Ria Van de Velde" wrote in message
Melody. I hope you are not angry with me. I had not seen this when I
posted this other message. I know that you want to be nice and that
is what I want to be too. I want to keep this as easy as possible,
that's all. I suggest that we only put info in your site that we
don't mind sharing with the world. No need to put email-adresses
there for those who don't want. OK?

Knuffel (hug)
Ria

Ria? Why on earth would someone be angry with you) I don't see you did
anything wrong

I like your idea too about only putting information with which we are
comfortable

Ophelia