Blocking a finished garment

Old November 6th 03, 04:46 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

In article ,
wrote..

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

Nooooooooo, for ME ironing is soothing....been doing it since age
8, first thing I ironed was Dad's hankie's and the pillowcases!
Now, I know an Author who finds cleaning the toilet soothing...
she was jailed during the McCarthy witchhunts, and when the
guards got angry with her, they'd make her clean commodes with a
toothbrush, and she got personal satisfaction out of it!

Talk about to see the positive side in everything! LOL

Noreen, ok, the iron is ready, when did you say you are arriving to my
place? :-)))

Hugs,

Anna Maria/ who HATES ironing

Anna Maria, I would LOVE to come and do your ironing!
Let's see, where DID I put my flying broom???
Hugs,
Noreen

--
STRIP *tease* to email me.
Old November 6th 03, 10:40 PM
Ria Van de Velde

OMG, there must be something wrong with me. I hate ironing, but I do
iron my pillowcases. Always.
Ria

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:38:36 -0600, Noreen's Knit*che
wrote:

In article ,
wrote..
I hadn't heard of a Wooly Board, I'll google that, thanks!

P.S. I iron my pillowcases too.

Okay, shades of the Twilight Zone, no doubt about it, Karen, we
ARE related.
I LOVE to iron, always said that if we ever had another 1929
great depression, I'd take in ironing!
doodoodoodoo, doodoodoodoo....
LOL,
Hugs,
Noreen

riavdv at pandora dot be
Old November 7th 03, 05:43 PM
Karen

I think you're right, Mirjam. I just get so used to doing things the way I
think they're supposed to be done, or the way I've been told that they have
to be done, that it doesn't feel right if I don't! With thinner weight
yarns, and with pieces, I have gotten used to how blocking sort of smooths
out and normalizes my sometimes-very-uneven tension. But with that super
bulky yarn, it probably ISN'T really necessary -- it just feels like I
"should" or it's not done "right".

Karen in MN

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Wait for the first time you need to wash it soak in luke warm water ,
let drip , roll in towels ,,,, voila you `blocking ` is done ,,, one
piece no seam sweaters REALLY DO NOT NEED blocking ...
mirjam
ps Michelle, i think it isn`t compulsive ,,, looks to me more that we
all were brought up with sets of DO and DON`TS , and they sort of
crawl into our minds and convince us that ,, "umless we do this or
that it isn`t ok !!!'

Why bother? If you are compulsive enough to block a top-down sweater,
find a Wooly Board, or make one.

Michelle
Who doesn't sew and doesn't block

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 12:34:19 -0600, "Karen"
wrote:

How do you block a finished garment that is already assembled?

I am used to blocking pieces before assembling. I know some knitters

don't
block, but I just have to -- otherwise for me, it feels sort of like

wearing
an unironed blouse. And I found with wool that it evens out the tension

and
shaping nicely.

I did a from-the-top-down, all-in-one-piece bulky pullover sweater out

of
Cascade Magnum. There was no assembly at all. But now I'm not sure how

block it.

I'm thinking do it like I would pieces, pin it to shape on a blocking

board
covered with a damp bath towel. But being assembled, I'm not sure how

I'd
pin it to shape, so that both front and back get blocked properly. It

also
seems like with two layers, top and bottom, of heavy wool, it would take
weeks to dry!

Any ideas?

Karen in MN

Old November 7th 03, 05:46 PM
Karen

There's something about ironing cotton sheets and pillowcases that give them
some kind of finish and makes them feel not so rough or something. I don't
do the sheets anymore (my ex used to INSIST on that!) , but I still have to
do the pillowcases for some reason!

Karen in MN

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
The thing i LOVE about ironing is that it is one of the jobs with the
quickest results SEEN to the naked eye. I sit while ironing and listen
to a good program on the radio.
When kids were in the army , it was the Saturday Night job i did for
them ironing their Cleam washed uniforms. a way to hide some `warm`
love and care for them in their clothes. I Mangle my [cotton] sheets
,,,, But stoped ironing Tea towels , underwear etc,,, which i used to
do in Ancient times... My problem thought are those Non Iron [men]
shirts ,,, they NEED ironing as need most T shirts,,,,
So just make it into a neat fun time ,,,,
mirjam

Noreen er, it sounds like you need another break!!!!!!! IRONING ewwwww

yucky
You're scaring me!!!!!!!!!

Loads of hugs,
Melody

et...

Old November 7th 03, 06:07 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

wrote:

How do you block a finished garment that is already assembled?

I am used to blocking pieces before assembling. I know some knitters don't
block, but I just have to -- otherwise for me, it feels sort of like wearing
an unironed blouse. And I found with wool that it evens out the tension and
shaping nicely.

I did a from-the-top-down, all-in-one-piece bulky pullover sweater out of
Cascade Magnum. There was no assembly at all. But now I'm not sure how to

Old November 7th 03, 06:07 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Cleaning toilets is best when you are angry with somebody ,, your
scrubbinng ability ,, grows ,,,
mirjam
In article
le.rogers.com,
wrote..

Noreen er, it sounds like you need another break!!!!!!! IRONING ewwwww yucky
You're scaring me!!!!!!!!!

Loads of hugs,
Melody

Nooooooooo, for ME ironing is soothing....been doing it since age
8, first thing I ironed was Dad's hankie's and the pillowcases!
Now, I know an Author who finds cleaning the toilet soothing...
she was jailed during the McCarthy witchhunts, and when the
guards got angry with her, they'd make her clean commodes with a
toothbrush, and she got personal satisfaction out of it!
LOL!
Hugs,
Noreen

--
STRIP *tease* to email me.

Old November 7th 03, 07:11 PM
Katherine Burgess

Mirjam,
I like to make bread when I am angry. Takes all of the anger out of me, and
the bread is excellent! g
Katherine

[...]

Purple plaid/denim quilt finished! Johanna Gibson Quilting 0 January 18th 05 01:18 AM
WIPs finally finished & pictures finally posted!~ Terbear Quilting 5 January 8th 05 03:02 AM
Another one finished! Louise Quilting 7 January 1st 05 10:31 PM
finished a shop hop and some suggestions Helen in MN Quilting 4 October 4th 04 02:05 AM
Finished, WIP's and 'To Do's' Maureen Miller Needlework 11 June 27th 04 08:38 AM