Who has been a member of this group the longest?

Old January 24th 13, 06:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
She in PA[_2_]

Default Who has been a member of this group the longest?

We got into a discussion on Fb of who has been a member the longest. Does anyone know who actually started this group?
Old January 24th 13, 09:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

On 24/01/13 06:11, She in PA wrote:
We got into a discussion on Fb of who has been a member the longest. Does anyone know who actually started this group?

Good question! I think that I have been here for about 10 years and it
was going strong then.

Janner
France
Old January 24th 13, 10:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I've been around since the early to mid-90s (?) when my son gave me a Web-tv for Christmas. The first thing I did was search for 'quilt' and the rest is rctq history. ;-)

I have no idea who or when it was started but there were several hundred (or more!) posts every day.... so we had to be selective on which threads we read or we'd never get anything else accomplished during our days! And the discussions could get VERY heated at times with everyone chiming in with their own opinions.

I miss The Good Ol' Days on here..... flame wars and all.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old January 24th 13, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

I first saw this group when my good friend showed me back in 1998, on his computer. At that time I had no internet experience, and had only used an accounting program at my job.

I "joined" in 1998 when I got a webTV, like Leslie. In in those years since I have met in person and online, some great friends!

Ginger in CA

Old January 24th 13, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ramona Walker

I've pretty much read this board since the 90s as well. The amount of
messages posted was so massive!! That was such fun - even the posts
about floss licking, Christine, discussions with the actual designers,
etc.

Does anyone remember Prodigy? My husband was in IT for Archer Daniels
Midland so we had computers at home even when they took up a very,
very large space. One of the first places to read newsgroup style
postings was a service called Prodigy. I'm guessing we had that back
in the late 80s or early, early 90s. Moni

Old January 24th 13, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ramona Walker

I left a garbled message - sorry!! I meant to add that I had read
this group ALONG WITH the needlework groups where some of the
discussions were held that I mentioned.

Old January 24th 13, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Leslie I think you were here when I joined and I think that was in 95 when
I got my second computer! I got my first computer in 92, but was not on the
internet at that time.
Barbara in FL

Old January 24th 13, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Den 24-01-2013 06:11, She in PA skrev:
We got into a discussion on Fb of who has been a member the longest. Does anyone know who actually started this group?

I have no idea - I got in winter 2001/02 when I first moved to the US.

I did find however the original vote for the newsgroup
rec.crafts.quilting (see below about name change in 1994). That
newsgroup was started Aug 1993.

This is the transcript of the messages about the voting for creating the
quilting newsgroup:
ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/news.an...rafts.quilting

At the bottom are the voting results, including names. Maybe some of
those who have been here long can recognise names? Presumably those who
voted for, if they ever joined in, would have done so early on.

The name-change (r.c.t reorganisation!) was voted on in Aug 1994, and
since it passed, I'm assuming it took place something like Sep 1994.
Again, lots of names at the bottom of the page (at least some of whom
would have been active):

ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/news.an...textiles-reorg

So, at least we know that start dates were either 1993 or 1994 depending
on how you want to count. Maybe we should start celebrating our birthday
on Sep 1? :-)

Hanne in DK
Old January 24th 13, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in SoCal

I think I found you all in 1996 or 1997 when I bought my 2nd computer. I then dropped off for a while (as is known to happen at my age...) and rejoined in 1998 or 1999.
Most of the names on that list are people I don't remember, a few sound familiar.
Does this make me a 'newbie' still?? LOL
Old January 24th 13, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I mentioned over on FB that I was on the prodigy quilt group before rctq.
when prodigy changed
their pricing we bailed on them and dh found rctq for me. Do you remember
someone posting
on the prodigy board that a policeman had come to her door and told her that
her son had died?
It is the one thing that I really remember from their. I think somewhere I
have some msgs. printed
out from then but not sure where. We got our first home computer in fall of
'89 I think.

Taria

news