Begin in the middle

Old March 21st 13, 11:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Default Begin in the middle

I sew the batting together with a large whip stitch -- think stitches
and inch or 2 apart.

Julia in MN

On 3/21/2013 11:45 AM, Roberta wrote:
My plan is to do the batting in thirds and the top in fifths. So the
batting joins will not line up anywhere near the seams in the top, and
there won't be any seams in the back. I think, once the center 20% is
done, that I will be able to splice in the rest of the batting on one
side (Might not have to cut off the other side at all, we'll see). And
I plan to cut the batting in a scallopy curve so it should be very
clear where it goes back together. And I might just use fusible seam
tape to do the splicing! Anybody ever tried that?
Roberta in D

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 07:52:41 -0700, Sandy Foster
wrote:

In article ,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

Someone over on the Bernina group suggested that it was easier on a big
quilt to just put batting on the center of the quilt, quilt that and then
add the sides. Less to mooch up and struggle with - you know? I toyed with
that idea and wasn't willing to try it but I did quilt right down the middle
of my quilt first. Ta-dah! Well, only a little ta-dah but it is much, much
easier to quilt the center of a quilt on a smaller sm if the sides are still
soft and more mooshable. ( Take THAT! spellCheck). No quilt police and no
rules, I know, but it really was a gentler process. Your thoughts? Polly

I've never tried that, but I've heard of it for some time and always
thought it was an interesting idea. My problem would be getting the
pieces of batting lined up evenly after they were cut and partially
quilted. g

As for starting in the middle, I always do that; it prevents puckers,
IMHO. I do also do as much stabilizing quilting as possible before
beginning the FMQ parts, but sometimes there isn't much that can be done
without interfering with the design.

In short: it all depends.

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old March 22nd 13, 01:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

'they' make a tape that is specifically for piecing battings. don't
remember
what it is called but have had good reports on it from a couple quilting
friends.
taria

"Polly Esther" wrote in message ...

Sometimes some fusibles gum up needles. That would be a very bad place.
You could use plain old blue masking tape to hold it in place and remove it
as you stitch. I'd be afraid of gummy; too much at stake to risk it. Polly

"Roberta" My plan is to do the batting in thirds and the top in fifths.

Old March 23rd 13, 11:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

thanks, I guess some experimenting is called for!

Roberta in D

Old March 23rd 13, 11:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I'll google and see if I can find it here. Good tip!
Roberta in D

Old March 23rd 13, 11:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

That's what I usually do, except on the machine with a 3-stitch
zigzag. But this sucker is HUGE and really would have to be done by
hand for any kind of accuracy. Just not looking forward to it!
Roberta in D

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 18:39:45 -0500, Julia in MN
wrote:

I sew the batting together with a large whip stitch -- think stitches
and inch or 2 apart.

Julia in MN

On 3/21/2013 11:45 AM, Roberta wrote:
My plan is to do the batting in thirds and the top in fifths. So the
batting joins will not line up anywhere near the seams in the top, and
there won't be any seams in the back. I think, once the center 20% is
done, that I will be able to splice in the rest of the batting on one
side (Might not have to cut off the other side at all, we'll see). And
I plan to cut the batting in a scallopy curve so it should be very
clear where it goes back together. And I might just use fusible seam
tape to do the splicing! Anybody ever tried that?
Roberta in D

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 07:52:41 -0700, Sandy Foster