Who has been a member of this group the longest?

Old January 30th 13, 06:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default Who has been a member of this group the longest?

Howdy!
Rusty, I'm still in touch w/ Verdi; she's in her 80s, still quilting.

Ruth's was one of the first Hug quilts; we made 2 quilts (1998) in her
memory, donating the first to her family, the second went to a raffle
recipient.
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/view...albumName=Ruth

This was Magic Mike's page for RCTQ:
http://www.oocities.org/heartland/ranch/4775/

More pics of Hug quilts & quilters:
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/view...me=HUGS&page=1

http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/view...Name=quiltshow

weed thru' here for more from the Rueben family gallery:
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/index.php

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy - class of '96

On 1/27/13 11:11 AM, in article
, "rusty"
wrote:

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:11:37 AM UTC-5, She in PA wrote:
We got into a discussion on Fb of who has been a member the longest. Does
anyone know who actually started this group?

I posted pretty early--mid 90's I think, but I've not been able to access the
archives from 'way back then. (If things never really disappear from the
internet, why can't we find the old archives some way?) The person I most
remember from those early days was someone named 'Verdi'. Ruth Evans left an
impact too; she was the recipient of the first hug quilt, and was gone so
suddenly..

Old February 11th 13, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ALZ

I joined in 1995 when I got my first computer with a modem and had
access to newsgroups through my library. I recognize a few of the
names on that list, but not many.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old February 11th 13, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Witchystitcher

The last I heard of him he had to stop work and stop distributing
fabric because he had a brain tumor. That was quite a while ago.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY
On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 16:57:29 -0800, Sandy Foster
wrote:

In article ,
Mary in Rock Island IL wrote:

I started sometime in the late 1990s. The very first HUG quilt had
just been created for a guy who had access to free fabric and shared
liberally. I think his name was Mike but am not quite sure as that
was just prior to my time.

That would have been Magic Mike, if my memory is correct. I joined in
1997, I think -- not as early as many.

Old February 11th 13, 07:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ALZ

Found this:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!search/magic$20mike$20quilt/rec.crafts.textiles.quilting/Bl48Q8UYQUY/nRVxjcXONAMJ

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 16:57:29 -0800, Sandy Foster

Old March 2nd 13, 12:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

Hi, all. Been some time since I was on the newsgroup, but do keep up on FB.
I was cleaning out my outlook emails on my laptop and clicked on my
newsgroup feed. When I saw this post, I was intrigued. When I used to do
the Directory, oh, about 100 years ago, I used to check the archives for
names I wasn't familiar with then. I saw that they recorded message #1 on
November 15, 1992. It was a reply by JJ so this was probably when the
archives started and not necessarily when the group started. Just thought
I'd share.

--
Alice in NJ
"Life is a grindstone. Whether it grinds us down or polishes us up depends

#1 on November 15, 1992. It was a reply by JJ so this was probably when
the archives started and not necessarily when the group started. Just
thought I'd share.

But do you know the name of the newsgroup? alt.what? Because
rec.crafts.quilting (later changed to rctq) did not start until Aug 93.
Just curious :-)

Hanne in DK
Old March 2nd 13, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 07:55:25 +0100, Hanne in DK wrote:

Den 02-03-2013 01:19, AliceW skrev:
Hi, all. Been some time since I was on the newsgroup, but do keep up
on FB. I was cleaning out my outlook emails on my laptop and clicked on
my newsgroup feed. When I saw this post, I was intrigued. When I used
to do the Directory, oh, about 100 years ago, I used to check the
archives for names I wasn't familiar with then. I saw that they
recorded message #1 on November 15, 1992. It was a reply by JJ so this
was probably when the archives started and not necessarily when the
group started. Just thought I'd share.

But do you know the name of the newsgroup? alt.what? Because
rec.crafts.quilting (later changed to rctq) did not start until Aug 93.
Just curious :-)

Hanne in DK

Actually it was August 94.

The division of the rec.crafts.textiles hierarchy was approved in August
of 1994 and the new groups were formed at the same time. RCTQ was among
those groups. At the time members of rec.crafts.textiles wanted some
sanity. RCT was too big and had too many people talking about too many
different things. So it was divided into 6 different groups, with a few
others being approved into the new sub-hierarchy later. The groups we
rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
rec.crafts.textiles.misc
rec.crafts.marketplace

rec.crafts.marketplace was quickly overrun by the rest of the craft
groups, and an approval request was soon made for
rec.crafts.textiles.marketplace.

Prior to 1994, you had RCT, and whatever was in the other hierarchies
where such a group might be permitted. Undoubtedly there was at least
one alt group. probably more. Since starting alt groups does not require
any sort of authorization they come and go with great frequency.

I imagine that if you do a search for: rec.crafts.textiles reorganization
you would find the details about at least the initial division.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old March 2nd 13, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Den 02-03-2013 16:54, NightMist skrev:
[...]

Before the 94 reorganisation, there was already RCQ, not just RCT. (I
posted the link to the proposal, voting and approval for RCQ (93),
together with a link to the reorg (94) much earlier in this thread). So
of course _this_ group is from 94, but it was a name/location change
from RCQ rather than a new group.

Hanne in DK

Old March 2nd 13, 06:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I believe between you NM, Ragmop and jeanne there is nothing that
cannot be unearthed. : ) Thanks.
Taria