Repairing needles

Old November 7th 03, 05:59 PM
Angelicsong

Default Repairing needles

I've got a question about repairing needles. My *sweet* - I say that
sarcastically - dog 'Katie', saw me on the 'puter and decided it was a great
time to get into mummy's needles. So the grrrrr *dear* little soul CHEWED on
the end of a pair of my circulars!!!!! AAWWWWW -- see mummy scream!!!!!!!!
So I tried to fix them by filing the tips of the needles with my nail file
but they still aren't back to 'normal' yet. They've lost their slippery
feel. But I did file out the little teeth marks!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Loads of hugs and thanks ahead of time.
Melody

Old November 7th 03, 07:29 PM
Angelicsong

Thanks Lee,

They were my plastic ones and just the first 1" of the tips were chewed.

I'm thinking about chewing one of her plastic bones - that 'otta teach
her!!!! lol Just kidding!

Hugs,
Melody

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Angelicsong" wrote in
able.rogers.
com:

I've got a question about repairing needles. My *sweet* - I
say that sarcastically - dog 'Katie', saw me on the 'puter
and decided it was a great time to get into mummy's
needles. So the grrrrr *dear* little soul CHEWED on the end
of a pair of my circulars!!!!! AAWWWWW -- see mummy
scream!!!!!!!! So I tried to fix them by filing the tips of
the needles with my nail file but they still aren't back to
'normal' yet. They've lost their slippery feel. But I did
file out the little teeth marks!

Anyone got any suggestions?

how badly chewed were they? just the points or further up the
shaft? um, plastic or wood? (i'd just pitch chewed metal
needles g)
the problem with having to file to smooth them out again is
changing the size & hence, your guage. if they weren't too
badly damaged, i'd get several progressively finer grits of
sandpaper & sand them smooth. my preference would be wet/dry
paper.
i'm glad the cats just chew the knob ends of straight
needles, even if they did choose one of my walnut sets... they
aren't *as* pretty, but the functionality hasn't changed.
lee

Old November 7th 03, 08:20 PM
Agres

I take it that they were wood or bambo. A nail file is rather course and
equal to sandpaper of maybe 180 grit. For my needles, I sand with 320 grit
sandpaper (much finer) then polish with very fine steel wool then with
canvas or brown paper. Fine sandpaper and steel wool is available at a
hardware store.

Then I like to varnish with tung oil or at least a good coat of wax.

If they were metal, refinishing is more work than it is worth.

Aaron

able.rogers.com...

Old November 7th 03, 10:12 PM
Cori

Dear Melody,

If you've repaired them so they are smooth try clear nail polish for the
slide. A nice even coat should do and it's easily replaced when it wears
off.

Hugs,
Cori

--
If my address reads spammers r stupid then give me a shout on line.
If my address reads yahoo delete no spam to email me back.
"Angelicsong" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
I've got a question about repairing needles. My *sweet* - I say that
sarcastically - dog 'Katie', saw me on the 'puter and decided it was a

great
time to get into mummy's needles. So the grrrrr *dear* little soul CHEWED

on
the end of a pair of my circulars!!!!! AAWWWWW -- see mummy scream!!!!!!!!
So I tried to fix them by filing the tips of the needles with my nail file
but they still aren't back to 'normal' yet. They've lost their slippery
feel. But I did file out the little teeth marks!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Loads of hugs and thanks ahead of time.
Melody

---

Old November 8th 03, 01:24 AM
Angelicsong

Thanks Aaron, I'll be off to the hardware store tomorrow!

Melody

"Agres" wrote in message
m...
[...]

any problems with needles and allergies? D.M.Evans Needlework 7 September 7th 04 02:48 AM
John James Needles Suzanne Needlework 3 July 20th 04 11:56 PM
Needles DKiely33 Sewing 4 April 1st 04 02:39 PM
Denise Interchangeable Needles jess Yarn 4 August 21st 03 04:49 AM
Nickel plated brass needles AGRES Yarn 0 July 24th 03 09:59 PM