Fabric Dyeing Question

Old April 27th 04, 02:44 AM
Mardi

Default Fabric Dyeing Question

Since I am really getting into interior decorating, I have fallen in
love with Jacquard print everything. I have it in my sheets, my duvet
cover and I am in the process of making a shower curtin out of a 350
TC Ivory Jacquard twin bedsheet.

So, because I have nothing but ivory thus far, I started thinking
about dyeing sheets to get the colors I want. Obvriously I would
start with a white sheet instead of a cream color.

Then I started thinking about dying table cloths. I found a beautiful
white 100% cotton tablecloth on E-bay for a very good price. It would
be perfect dyed to match my wallpaper.

So, does anyone have any advice or have you ever done it (dyeing
sheets and tablecloths).

Mardi
Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat
Old April 27th 04, 07:14 AM
NightMist

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:44:05 GMT, Mardi wrote:

Since I am really getting into interior decorating, I have fallen in
love with Jacquard print everything. I have it in my sheets, my duvet
cover and I am in the process of making a shower curtin out of a 350
TC Ivory Jacquard twin bedsheet.

So, because I have nothing but ivory thus far, I started thinking
about dyeing sheets to get the colors I want. Obvriously I would
start with a white sheet instead of a cream color.

Then I started thinking about dying table cloths. I found a beautiful
white 100% cotton tablecloth on E-bay for a very good price. It would
be perfect dyed to match my wallpaper.

So, does anyone have any advice or have you ever done it (dyeing
sheets and tablecloths).

I've not done a sheet or a tablecloth per se, but have done yardage of
that size.

The main thing is use a big enough vat and stir frequently and
thoroughly. Presuming you want an even solid color. By stirring
frequently and thoroughly, I mean more often than they say you have to
and flop it open and around a LOT. Big items tend to have folds that
hide. You may have to use more dye because you need to use more water
because you need the larger container to get as much of the fabric
open to the dye as you can. I've thought about useing a long wide
shallow container, but have yet to find one that suits. I've been
eyeing an under the bed tote and contemplateing. On the other hand, I
have managed a piece of fabric the size of about a double flat sheet
in one side of the kitchen sink, but you need strong arms ( I lift
weights and knead bread and pasta by hand) and much patience to manage
in something that small.

I would wash the heck out of a tablecloth before dyeing it too,
especially if it were white and off ebay. You don't know what kind of
household residues are in it or if it has been bleached if it is used,
and you don't know what residues from the optical brighteners are left
in there if it is new.

I've never had a great deal of luck useing washing machine methods,
but know people who swear by them. The machine is a right PITA to
clean afterwards too.

NightMist
--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell
Old April 27th 04, 08:53 AM
Helen Howes

Try this...
http://www.pburch.net/index.shtml

HH
Our lady of the Biscuits

http://www.raindropkites.co.uk
http://www.helenhowestextiles.co.uk
Old April 27th 04, 03:06 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Mardi" wrote in message

So, does anyone have any advice or have you ever done it (dyeing
sheets and tablecloths).

Actually, you don't have to start with white if you don't want to. But no
matter what color you start with, it will only take so much dye, and make
take it unevenly. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just be prepared for
it.

Dharma's vat dyeing instructions will serve you well for this.
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/164823-AA.shtml (To get more
variation, don't stir.)

Whenever I'm working with a non-PFD white fabric (I *love* to dye WOWs!), I
prewash in Synthrapol and *hot* water to get out as much sizing as possible.
The white have "optical whiteners" in them, which take up the physical space
the dye molecules want, so you already have one strike against you -- best
not to have sizing come into the equation too.

Other than that, proceed as for any hand dyeing. Oh, and have fun!!!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old April 27th 04, 03:52 PM
Musicmaker

uhoh - watch out! Mardi's getting out her dyes!

--
Cindy Bettinger;

http://photos.yahoo.com/cbet_99
http://www.one-eleven.net/~music/
http://simplymusic.net

Old April 27th 04, 06:36 PM
ESTELLE GALLAGHER

I do a lot of dyeing! If you want an even colour all over there are good
dyes to use in the washing machine. We have a product over here called
Dylon.100% cotton will give good results. polycotton is a much less intense
colour.Then of coarse there is Procion dyes which are cold water and
agitating is necessary to make it even.For large articles you would need a
large container!! I love to crease the dampened cloth and immerse in the dye
and not to stir!! Gives a lovely marbled effect.At the moment I am totally
obsessed and have dyed all the fabrics I am taking to Quilt Expo for Ricky
Tims workshop!!Good luck if you decide to go ahead. Wish I could be there,
its so exciting! Estelle