Hardanger fabric question

Old June 6th 04, 02:42 AM
just me

Default Hardanger fabric question

Hi, it's been a while since i chatted with you all. I am back because I've
been avidly learning a new needleart: Hardanger. I am having a ball with
it but am finding it difficult to locate appropriate fabric, especially at
what I consider reasonable prices [$23/yard seems awful steep to me!] The
only shop I have locally that carries even weave 22ct fabric is a lovely
needlework type shop [non-chain store]. The owner is willing to order stuff
for me, but I see the prices starting at over $20/yard and rapidly going
steeper. Since I am interested in making larger items like sets of
placemats and table runners, this could rapidly become a very expensive
hobby, albeit quite enjoyable. Does anyone have some good suggestions on
fabrics and/or on line sources where costs are less than what I've found
locally?

TIA

- Aula
--
If you don't like your own character there may be a new one ready-made and
waiting for you. The snake sheds its skin with impunity, relying on the same

Old June 6th 04, 03:52 AM
Karen C - California

In article , "just me"
writes:

Since I am interested in making larger items like sets of
placemats and table runners, this could rapidly become a very expensive
hobby, albeit quite enjoyable.

You could get at least 4 placemats or 2 table runners from a yard. More, if
it's a 60" wide yard (don't have my NN catalogue handy to check the widths of
Hardanger fabrics). So, @$20/yd, that's only $10 per runner.

If you find you're "hooked", you may be able to get a discount from some
purveyor of fabrics by offering to buy the entire bolt at once. I think
they're 10 yards. You might even be able to persuade one of the manufacturers
to sell you a bolt at wholesale.

Kims-stitchingshop.com (formerly Fabrics2U) has monthly clearances, and I'm
sure I've seen hardanger listed on occasion -- get on her mailing list and then
buy her out when she has it on sale.

--
Finished 5/21/04 - Fireman's Wife
WIP: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler,

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old June 6th 04, 03:12 PM
Alison

Hi Aula - I love Hardanger too but have never actually used the 22
count Hardanger fabric. I've used: Lugana (28 count); linen (18 and
25 count); Jubilee (28 count). However I don't think any of those
will help you with the price. In fact $23/yard seems very inexpensive
to me considering that the linen is about $60/yard. Nordic Needle
carries 4 different brands of 22 count Hardanger fabric, Eva
Rosenstand is $29.74 per yard, Ubelhor $27.72 per yard, Wichelt $38.02
per yard, Zweigart $25.02 per yard. I'm sorry I couldn't help you but
I have to add that for Hardanger you really do need even weave - there
are many fabrics in the chain stores labeled "linen" that wouldn't
work.

I looked at the pre-finished items at Nordic Needle and also European
Cross Stitch but they're all smaller than tablecloth size.

Good luck and congratulations on your Hardanger expertise!

Alison

Old June 7th 04, 01:05 AM
Kim McAnnally

Yes, I've got some now for $5.99 per fat quarter. You can email me if you
want a list of colors, or check it out on the Clearance page on my site.
Kim

--
Please check out my current ebay deals!
www.kims-stitchingshop.com/auctions.htm

See What's New!
www.kims-stitchingshop.com/New.htm

"Karen C - California" wrote in message
In article , "just me"
writes:

[...]

Question about fabric and wood Joan Erickson Needlework 19 December 21st 03 01:46 AM
hardanger fabric question Mmeindia Needlework 6 November 17th 03 01:44 PM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
Tapestry frame or embroidery hoop Jill Spottiswoode Needlework 7 September 22nd 03 10:27 AM
New answer to fabric question Elena Quilting 15 July 29th 03 04:06 PM