OT home buyers insurance policy?

Old August 26th 03, 02:39 AM
taria

Default OT home buyers insurance policy?

You guys know everything so maybe you can help. We bought
this 20 yo house 6 months ago. Seems to have more problems
than it should but today was really tops. Found a leak under
the Ac room/behind master bath pullman. Very small slow leak.
It was a apparently a previous repair that went bad. After
waiting around (2 days) a plumber shows up that says whole
double sink pullman has to come up so he can access/fix it.
I blow. How about we cut a home in the floor of the pullman
that has the problem. He said that might work but he doesn't
do that so we would have open it up and when we do call and
he'd try to get out tomorrow. DH calls warranty folks to see
just what the deal is and now they say it is not covered at
all since it was a previous repair done improperly. So now
I am waiting for another plumber to call back and see if I can
get him out here tomorrow. Is this typical for these home buyer
policies? Is it typical that plumbers won't access the problem?
I understand that they don't rebuild cabinets but jeeze this is
getting ugly. I'm frustrated and mad. The house doesn't seem
mine and it is so needy too. DS has been living in the other
house but I am ready to move back. Thanks for letting me vent!
Taria

--
Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm
Old August 26th 03, 01:04 PM
Pat in Virginia

Taria:
Sorry to hear your house is not a dream house. Not sure what a
pullman is. A bathroom? A vanity sink? What is the Ac room? Is
that a closet with the Air Conditioner Unit? Is it the condenser
or what? Please clarify the terms. Maybe someone has a similar
experience and can suggest solution.

About the house warranty insurance. I would have thought that
would cover the whole house ... you bought the whole house! Good
luck. Can't offer any advice but send a gentle hug.

PAT in VA/USA

Old August 26th 03, 02:53 PM
taria

Thanks Pat. Calif speak: pullman is the vanity sink/cabinet
AC room/heater inside house AC equip. Condenser is outside.
Kind of like a closet that sits up off the floor. Air return
on the underneath part. I guess houses are made lots of different
ways. I've lived most of my life in cheap tract houses and they
have been pretty standard for a lot of years!
Still have the other house. Depending on this current problem
after it is fixed we may sell the place and be done with it.
I need to quit griping my problems are really small.
Taria

Old August 26th 03, 04:20 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Get out your insurance policy, read the details.
Home owner's policy: good luck! (We're in Texas, where the
insurance companies have been screwing us for years.)
When I called the insurance company about the leaking kitchen window,
the adjuster/inspector came out to have a look. "Pre-existing condition,"
he said; "We don't cover that; if it had been part of a tornadic storm,
like the big wind & hail that damaged the roof before you moved in,
we'd cover that. This is considered regular wear&tear
and you're on your own." Thanks.
But when the toilet (upstairs) developed a leak and water
seeped thru' the floor and into the ceiling, they covered that; of course,
they don't cover much water damage now, but the work was done.
Home owner's policies are for taking care of big catastrophes,
fire, tornado, wind burst, and one year when our former home got
shot by kids playing w/ a rifle 1/2 a block away. That's one reason
they have those "deductible" clauses; if your repair is within a couple of
hundred dollars of the deductible, you're better off paying for it yourself
and saving your "claim allowance" for something really big,
which god forbid should ever happen
(that's an old insurance cliché, "god forbid but what if!" g).

So, where's your problem fall, Taria?
Good luck. Get a good plumber, someone you trust, someone
who works *for* you. And remember this next time your insurance
policy is up for renewal.

Ragmop/Sandy-- And save the quilts!!!
*next class we'll explore the Home Warranty Policy issues* g

Old August 27th 03, 12:21 AM
Pati Cook

Raise a stink. Call the home warranty company and explain that the
reason you have the warranty is for the stuff you had no control over
before you bought the house. Talk to a supervisor and ask for his/her
supervisor's name and address. Keep raising a ruckus.
That's what I did when they told me (a few years ago) that the reason we
were having AC problems was that "routine maintenance" had not been done
years ago...... and it was something that had to be done by a service
person. I said baloney. and proceeded as above. The company covered
the service........ which wasn't the problem anyway.

Pati, in Phx

Just a side note........ they came out today and checked the outlets we
had finally gotten "uncovered". As I was moving a (heavy, old, oak)
desk, a lightweight box fell on the computer cord plugged into the
wall..... and we had power again. It was the bad outlet that caused all
the problem. had the guy check the others anyway.

Old August 29th 03, 01:00 AM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

Ha! My insurance company is rotten-er than yours! I have 5 large oak
trees- 70 to 80 ft. tall that are all 5 dead and very close to my house.
I got a bid of $300 to take them down and haul off the wood- I can
afford that. My homeowner's insurance company says DO NOT hire that
man! He does not have business liability insurance! I can't find
anyone else to take the trees out who has insurance- the reason? The
insurance premiums are too high for what they can earn taking out dead
trees! BUT- my insurance company will wait until the trees fall ON my
house, pay thousands to repair the damage to my house and hire these
SAME uninsured guys to take the downed trees *off* my house!!! Now, how
much sense does THAT make??? I'd think they'd jump for joy that I'd be
willing to pay the $300 and have the trees taken care of at this point
and save them tens of thousands in repairs at some future date, but
nooooOOOOOooooo.....

Leslie, The Frustrated and hoping the trees don't fall on her bedroom
in the middle of the night!!!

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life... they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old August 29th 03, 01:40 AM
Julia in MN

This thread seems to be talking about 2 different kinds of insurance. I
think Taria is talking about "home buyers" insurance -- something you
get when you buy a house to make sure everything is working as you were
told it did. I think this is a relatively recent thing, because we
didn't have it when we bought our last house 19 years ago, but my
daughter did get it when she bought her first house 3 years ago. It
seems to me that this should cover the problems Taria is describing, but
I am not real knowledgeable about this.

The other type of insurance is "home owners" insurance, which all home
owners should have to insure against catastrophic loss. This generally
wouldn't cover the kinds of losses Taria is describing.

Julia in Mn

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old August 29th 03, 01:56 AM
Pati Cook

Julia, we got the "home warrenty insurance" which covers things like
electric, plumbing and "built in" appliances when we bought our house 19
years ago (in Oct). We had a good real estate person that insisted that the
seller provide this for the first year or two. We have kept it up for the
rest of the time, and it has definitely paid for itself. (Hate to think
what the latest electrical problem would have cost us with out it. Even
though it turned out to just be a faulty outlet.)

Pati, in Phx

Old August 29th 03, 02:47 AM
taria

You are right Julia. Here the seller usually buys one year of the
home buyers insurance just to cover their fanny. It has been around
at least 14 years that I know of. My good news is that today I have
my problem fixed! I have water that runs, doesn't leak. I talked
to the insurance company again and they were willing to send out
a second plumber (the first wrote one thing on my invoice and another
on his report to them) Contractor brother said first plumber just
didn't want to do the job. (he really was too chubby to physically
do the work he does) So today the second guy shows up and he spent
hours on it and he fixed it! He spent a long time on phone to insurance
co. for an authorization first. So sometimes things work out.
SO far as the trees, any time you deal with repair guys who don't carry
any insurance on their workers you are putting yourself at risk. I was
able to get a tree service/ arborist (sp) to take out the trees here.
They were licensed and it was $650 for 6 trees. They were good though.
Why did you ask your insurance company Leslie? I hesitate to ever even
call my homeowners insurance guys.
Taria

Old August 29th 03, 03:36 AM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

Why did you ask your insurance company Leslie? I hesitate to ever
even call my homeowners insurance guys.
Taria

I used to work for the State Dept. of Conservation and asked the head of
Forestry for recommendations for tree removal people. He said to be
sure I hired a man with insurance. When I couldn't find an insured tree
dude, I checked with my homeowner's agent. I tend to be overly careful-
being a woman on my own I always ask for (men's) advice and then do my
own thinking. ;-) The agent readily admitted the insurance company
uses uninsured tree dudes cuz there simply aren't any insured ones!
Amazing!

Leslie

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life... they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

what's the deal with home insurance???/ Zander Pottery 6 June 2nd 13 09:09 PM
Insurance and Cheap docs rainbow Beads 2 February 6th 04 08:46 PM
insurance for consignment Joe General Crafting 0 January 3rd 04 04:42 AM