any one working on a project

Old March 14th 09, 09:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply[_2_]

Default any one working on a project

Olwyn.Mary wrote:

Then I'm taking a break and sewing some to beef up my work wardrobe
before I go back to knitting, at which time I am going to do a cotton
sweater that I don't have the yarn for yet.

Samantha!! I thought you worked from home. Have you changed jobs
without telling us???????

(Cross-posting to alt.sewing and RCTS because I don't think I ever got
around to telling everybody there, either, and I might as well say it to
everybody all at once)

I still work part-time from home, but I periodically lose accounts and
the pay has finally dropped to the point where I can no longer afford to
work at what the new accounts want to pay me, so last year when I lost
over half my work (three separate people I was subbing for) all at once
and didn't feel like I could take another 30% pay cut after having taken
a 40% pay cut in 2004, I started looking for in-house jobs. After six
months of sending resumes, telephone interviews, and in-person
interviews, I finally found a full-time, in-house job 4 miles from my
house with moderately flexible scheduling (I have to put in 40 hours per
week any time between 8:45 am and 6 pm M through F -- no weekends, paid
holidays, and a paid vacation, which three things feel like heaven). I
absolutely DETEST getting up and going to work in the morning (that is,
especially after I have already done my part-time, at-home work) and
being gone for that long, and my little dog (who I might not have gotten
if I had known that I was going to end up going out to work two months
after I got her) misses me terribly while I'm gone, but if the job fairy
had come down and given me the best job I could have realistically
gotten, she couldn't have found anything better. But the schedule is
grueling and after six months on the job (I get a half-hour lunch break
and several days a week I spend it knitting because there isn't enough
time to go anywhere or do anything) I still haven't figured out how to
pack a decent lunch and I still can't keep my focus for 8 hours
straight, but I am getting better.

It's still transcribing medical records, but instead of listening to
audio recordings all day, I transcribe from the doctors notes, cribbing
from the patient's previous visit note. This is TONS better than
transcribing from audio all day long, a lot more mentally stimulating,
and a lot less stressful on the old borderline RSI problems.
Old March 14th 09, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Butterflywings

Still working on my son's Name afghan. Each 'name section' is 32 rows long.
Figured out the name chart on my own. His name is done in variegated blues
with a dark blue background, all in single crochet. He's pleased with it.
Hopefully, I'll have it done by Christmas 2009.

Also, working on putting together a knitted sampler of squares, rectangles,
etc, of the sample pieces I've done over the years. It's now big enuf for to
be an afghan. Done in shades of blue and green

Butterfly (mainly lurker at this point in time)

"Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...

Old March 15th 09, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Spike Driver

Butterfly,

Please leave us a pick if you can, I would really enjoy seeing it.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis

Old March 15th 09, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
SteveB[_8_]

Last evening, I took two hours to repair a shadecloth that was 30' x 40'.
Some of the grommets had torn out. I was able, with my trusty Singer
111W155 machine to sew it all back together. The sun had deteriorated the
thread mainly, and the cloth as well as the edging was in remarkably good
conditions. I got to use my new grommett kit.

What amazed me was that I went to my shop and found some fabric that I
bought from Home Depot to make some skylight sun shades, and it was EXACTLY
the fabric of the costlier sun shade. I know where I'll go for the sun
shade material on my next project.

Was nice to fix a big piece of material, and have it come out so good.

Steve

Old March 15th 09, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip[_2_]

SteveB wrote:
Last evening, I took two hours to repair a shadecloth that was 30' x 40'.
Some of the grommets had torn out. I was able, with my trusty Singer
111W155 machine to sew it all back together. The sun had deteriorated the
thread mainly, and the cloth as well as the edging was in remarkably good
conditions. I got to use my new grommett kit.

What amazed me was that I went to my shop and found some fabric that I
bought from Home Depot to make some skylight sun shades, and it was EXACTLY
the fabric of the costlier sun shade. I know where I'll go for the sun
shade material on my next project.

Was nice to fix a big piece of material, and have it come out so good.

Steve

Congratulations on a job well done. It feels good, doesn't it?
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old March 15th 09, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
SteveB[_8_]

"Pogonip" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
Last evening, I took two hours to repair a shadecloth that was 30' x 40'.
Some of the grommets had torn out. I was able, with my trusty Singer
111W155 machine to sew it all back together. The sun had deteriorated
the thread mainly, and the cloth as well as the edging was in remarkably
good conditions. I got to use my new grommett kit.

What amazed me was that I went to my shop and found some fabric that I
bought from Home Depot to make some skylight sun shades, and it was
EXACTLY the fabric of the costlier sun shade. I know where I'll go for
the sun shade material on my next project.

Was nice to fix a big piece of material, and have it come out so good.

Steve

Congratulations on a job well done. It feels good, doesn't it?
--
Joanne

Really. That was a $200 piece of custom made shade cloth.

I'm really going to be beaming when I get those awnings covered. And, we've
decided to do sail shaped pieces over a back yard area like they have on
modern playgrounds. Not expensive, and soooooooooo easy to make. Plus easy
to take down and put up. And a fraction of the cost.

Steve

Old March 15th 09, 05:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Spike Driver

Steve,

Great on the 111w155, I used to be a SINGER dealer.

Good luck with the new grommet kit.

Dennis

Old March 15th 09, 07:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip[_2_]

SteveB wrote:

I'm really going to be beaming when I get those awnings covered. And, we've
decided to do sail shaped pieces over a back yard area like they have on
modern playgrounds. Not expensive, and soooooooooo easy to make. Plus easy
to take down and put up. And a fraction of the cost.

Steve

When you've got it done, you'll have to put some pictures on Flickr or
Photobucket or somewhere so we can all ooh, and ah and drool over your
creations. Some may even get inspired.
Old March 15th 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
SteveB[_8_]

"Pogonip" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:

I'm really going to be beaming when I get those awnings covered. And,
we've decided to do sail shaped pieces over a back yard area like they
have on modern playgrounds. Not expensive, and soooooooooo easy to make.
Plus easy to take down and put up. And a fraction of the cost.

Steve

When you've got it done, you'll have to put some pictures on Flickr or
Photobucket or somewhere so we can all ooh, and ah and drool over your
creations. Some may even get inspired.
--
Joanne

I was a steel erection contractor in Las Vegas for nine years. We did
hundreds of awnings, some on businesses and hotels that lasted fifteen
years. Some are still hanging today. We did lots of residential. And then
they came down with remodeling and not from use. Most of them were removed,
recovered, then remounted. Raven Mills Sunbrella all.

I did a personal awning 32' x 13'6" just recently. But I did it out of
Fabral metal because of the size and wind we get here. These window awnings
will be four feet wide to eight feet wide with a stickout long enough to
shade the inside from the sun. The sail wedges will be about 20' on the
sides, the hypotenuse longer.

Will surely put them on flickr.

Steve