Happy Dance (hopefully not premature!) and seriously dumb question

Old September 1st 04, 10:38 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Default Happy Dance (hopefully not premature!) and seriously dumb question

Someone came up to me at church the other day and said,
"Congratulations!" and I said, "For what?" and she said, "Your sampler
had the blue ribbon at the MD State Fair. At least I *think* it did!"

Well, I've been waiting til I knew for sure to say anything (I have
plans to go next Friday) but my friend/neighbor just told me that she
was *definite* that the Celtic Band Sampler (Homespun Samplar) had a
blue ribbon. So I feel like I can Happy Dance now.

And the seriously dumb question: anybody know *what prize* the blue is?
The state fair catalog lists prizes as 1st place/2nd place/etc., and
they don't say what colors correspond to which places! Aaaargh!

Sue
Old September 1st 04, 10:48 PM
Becky Andresen

I have yet to hear of a blue ribbon that hasn't been First Prize.

Congratulations! Yay!
Becky A.

"Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen" skrev i melding
news

Old September 1st 04, 10:52 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

WOW! So many here lately have won such significant honors!!

Congratulations!!

I think that the "blue" ribbon is normally thought of as first place,
red is second. I can't think what a third place color is - and I've seen
enough of those at school competitions that I should know. Sure as I say
this, some county in this big country will think "red" is better and
award it that way.

Dianne

Old September 1st 04, 11:04 PM
Julie in Hondo

Blue is for excellent, red is for good and white is for like (also ran). At
least at the county fair here. Then they pick a "Best of Show" and
"Honorable Mentions" (2) from the blue ribbon winners. This is not at the
state level, never been to one of those.=)
Julie in Hondo

Old September 2nd 04, 12:41 AM
Joan Erickson

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen wrote:

And the seriously dumb question: anybody know *what prize* the blue is?
The state fair catalog lists prizes as 1st place/2nd place/etc., and
they don't say what colors correspond to which places! Aaaargh!

Only dumb question is one that's not asked!!!
IIRC,
Blue = 1st
Red = 2nd
White = 3rd
Pink = 4th
Yellow = 5th
Green = 6th

I may have the pink and yellow switched around, but I'm sure about the rest.
If you're really lucky, you'll get purple---Grand Champion!

Oh! and congratulations!!! Feels great, doesn't it?

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old September 2nd 04, 03:53 AM
escapee

Congrats, it could not have happened to a more generous person! Good for you.

Bravo,
Victoria

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 17:38:38 -0400, Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
opined:

Old September 2nd 04, 02:48 PM
Joan Erickson

Joan Erickson wrote:

IIRC,
Blue = 1st
Red = 2nd
White = 3rd
Pink = 4th
Yellow = 5th
Green = 6th
If you're really lucky, you'll get purple---Grand Champion!

Sorry to respond to my own post but I *didn't* get these right. I
looked at DD's ribbons last night and here's the correct order:
Blue = 1st
Red = 2nd
Yellow = 3rd
White = 4th
Pink = 5th
Green = 6th
HTH!

Old September 2nd 04, 06:40 PM
Barbara Hass

Joan Erickson wrote:

If you're really lucky, you'll get purple---Grand Champion!

Sorry to respond to my own post but I *didn't* get these right. I
looked at DD's ribbons last night and here's the correct order:
Blue = 1st
Red = 2nd
Yellow = 3rd
White = 4th
Pink = 5th
Green = 6th
HTH!

Just goes to show regional differences. I think in the USA, blue and
red are almost always 1st and 2nd, respectively. Seems to me other
countries might be different (I remember Canada's "Anne of Green Gables"
series with Megan Follows showed Anne and Dianna being awarded a red for
1st in a 3-legged race, although I don't know for sure if this was
historically accurate).

In the 4-H county I was in as a child, however, we differ from the rest
of Joan's list:

3rd is white
4th is yellow (although 3rd is as low as they go at the county fair)

Green is an Honor Roll (higher than first - awarded to multiple people)
Purple rosette is Grand Champion
Pink Rosette is Reserve Grand Champion

I now live in White County, Indiana, and I notice that honor roll
doesn't exist here and the reserve and grand champion ribbons are handed
out like candy in each event (wish I'd lived here when I competed -
rosettes are much more impressive than the tiny green honor roll ribbons!)

Barbara HJ

Old September 2nd 04, 09:34 PM
KDLark

Just goes to show regional differences. I think in the USA, blue and
red are almost always 1st and 2nd, respectively. Seems to me other
countries might be different (I remember Canada's "Anne of Green Gables"
series with Megan Follows showed Anne and Dianna being awarded a red for

1st in a 3-legged race, although I don't know for sure if this was
historically accurate).

And IRC, red is first place in Great Britain -- I believe I read this in one of
the "horsey" books I used to read. I guess we'll have to hope that people from
Canada and GB will read this and let me know if I'm not dreaming.

Katrina L.