Making quilt patterns

Old October 22nd 03, 09:37 PM
AlenasMom

Default Making quilt patterns

Is it crazy to want to make my own quilting patterns? I'm thinking of
designing a "play quilt" for Alena when she's a bit older. Things with big
buttons, zippers, pockets, squeakers etc.
Has anyone ever done this before?
Aren't I full of questions today?

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

Old October 22nd 03, 10:16 PM
Patti

Hullo Lina
Of course it's not crazy. Or, if it is, I'm madder than I thought I
was!
You will find that a lot of us design our own work; and that, for a lot
of people (myself included) it's probably our favourite part. A well
tried 'play quilt' is the I-spy quilt, using fabric with identifiable
pictures on it so that the child can be asked to "find the ...". These
are often made with hexagons, but can equally well be made from squares.
You could incorporate some of these into a 'learning how to do' quilt
for Alena. Sounds great fun for everyone concerned. You'd have a ball
making it, and your little one would love playing with it I'm sure.
Have fun. Go for it.
..
In article ogers.com,
AlenasMom writes
Is it crazy to want to make my own quilting patterns? I'm thinking of
designing a "play quilt" for Alena when she's a bit older. Things with big
buttons, zippers, pockets, squeakers etc.
Has anyone ever done this before?
Aren't I full of questions today?

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 22nd 03, 10:29 PM
georg

AlenasMom wrote:

Is it crazy to want to make my own quilting patterns? I'm thinking of
designing a "play quilt" for Alena when she's a bit older. Things with big
buttons, zippers, pockets, squeakers etc.
Has anyone ever done this before?
Aren't I full of questions today?

Go for it. There's no rule that says you have to make what has been made
before. Screw that. Make what YOU want to make. Be happy.

-georg

Old October 23rd 03, 12:41 AM
Julia Altshuler

I've never done a quilt with buttons, zippers or pockets, but I make my
own quilting patterns all the time. In fact, I rarely use a commercial
pattern, and when I do, I study the block design, then draft it myself.
I find it easier to understand when I do it that way than if I follow
the directions in the book. So I can't help with the buttons and
zippers part, but if you have questions about fitting the blocks
together, as away.

--Lia

Old October 23rd 03, 12:54 AM
AlenasMom

I'm just thinking of making 6" bright blocks and then putting another 6"
block with a zipper connecting two pieces over top (So when it's unzipped
the other fabric shows through... maybe some appliqué there...) Same thing
for the buttons. Not sure how to add the squeakers or bells or anything
like that... but it's just a draft for now.

Old October 23rd 03, 01:26 AM
Shona in NZ

Great idea! You could appliqué little critters or use some critter fabric
under the zipper, or what about attaching a critter to a little spring so it
pops out when the zipper is opened

Shona thinking this is a great idea in NZ

ble.rogers.com...

Old October 23rd 03, 02:57 PM
Roberta in D

There are lots of designs for "quiet books" (activity books made of
cloth), which you could easily adapt to blocks.
Roberta in D

"AlenasMom" wrote in
ble.rogers.com: