Tomato Gravy

Old October 7th 05, 08:35 AM
NightMist

Darn right it is!

But, like chocolate, vanilla, and inexpensive cotton, here in North
America we also have most of the corn.....

*Happily adds corn syrup to the list with M&M's, cotton, and Wonka for
global barter*

OK, so who will swap me some castor sugar for corn syrup?

NightMist
Is that a reasonable trade?

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 08:04:59 -0500, "SNIGDIBBLY"
wrote:

OMG! That's ridiculous!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
u...
Yup but to this day haven't actually "seen" any - except once and the
price
put it out of range $10 for a small bottle.

quicker)

"SNIGDIBBLY" wrote in message
White and dark corn syrup comes in many brands - not just Karo.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
u...
For the Aussies who can't find Karo/Corn Syrup you can use equal
measure
of
Golden Syrup or honey which turns it sweeter but according to the
Online
Cooks Thesaurus (a fantastic website - NAYY) these are perfectly
acceptable
substitutes.

Thinking of trying this today.....

quicker)

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

Because I am clueless when it comes to microwaves (as in I wouldn't
have
one except I married a man with one) if the size of the oven may

affect
the cooking, what should it look like after
the first four minutes ?
the second four minutes?
after you add the butter, vanilla and cook another minute?

Or do you have a temp it should be at before adding the baking soda?
Or
any other sage words of advice for the microwaverly inept?

Come on back over here, Marcella, and we'll make it together. After
the first four minutes, it will be barely "stirrable". After the
second
four minutes, everything will be melted together. Actually, my MW
cooks
quickly enough that I can't leave it for the second four minutes; I
watch it and catch it just before it starts to brown -- which will
mean
it's burned by the time you can get it out. (Don't ask how I know....)
It will be sort of glossy after the butter, etc.

When you add the baking soda, the whole thing will foam like crazy,
but
that's what you want it to do. Stir quickly and dump. G
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old October 7th 05, 10:03 AM
Sharon Harper

LOL - just toss regular granulated sugar into the blender, whizz for about
30 seconds and you have castor sugar!

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under) (I'll take the Wonka
chocky please!)

"NightMist" wrote in message

Darn right it is!

But, like chocolate, vanilla, and inexpensive cotton, here in North
America we also have most of the corn.....

*Happily adds corn syrup to the list with M&M's, cotton, and Wonka for
global barter*

OK, so who will swap me some castor sugar for corn syrup?

NightMist
Is that a reasonable trade?

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 08:04:59 -0500, "SNIGDIBBLY"
wrote:

OMG! That's ridiculous!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
[...]

http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html (takes a while to

load)
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shazrules/my_photos (same as website

but

,

Old October 7th 05, 01:39 PM

In article ,
Cheryl wrote:
Sharon
I used to be able to get corn syrup in Melb in the cake decorating shop in
the Port Phillip Arcade just opposite the station. Don't know if they still
have it, but they even send me stuff way out here when I ring. However, I
agree it is likely to be a horrible price!!

The purpose of corn syrup in candy is to keep the sugar from
crystalizing. Honey works as well if not better, and by the same
mechanism. (If anybody cares, I can explain the mechanism.)
It has more flavour, which I think is an advantage. It's also
much sweeter, for the same calories.

Corn syrup is practically a staple food in the US, but is not very
common elsewhere, except as an ingredient in industrial food
manufacture. Even here in Canada, it's not so easy to find in
supermarkets, and isn't particularly cheap, although a bit cheaper
than honey.

Old October 7th 05, 03:39 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Honey just has a really strong taste that I don't associate with Peanut
Brittle. Corn Syrup has no taste of it's own and doesn't conflict/overpower
the caramelized Peanuts. I guess it would be all right but it wouldn't be
traditional Peanut Brittle.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
wrote in message
.. .

Old October 8th 05, 08:16 AM
NightMist

Actually I have had castor sugar in the house before and it does
seriously differ from superfine sugar.

If you put a teaspoon of castor sugar on a plate, and a teaspoon of
superfine sugar on another plate, then pour a tablespoon of water over
each, the castor sugar wil disappear and the superfine sugar won't.

Maybe we have another one of those differences in global cooking terms
things going on here.

I have candy recipes that call for castor sugar, and in the same book,
other recipes calling for superfine sugar, and still other recipes
calling for confectioners sugar.

In the US confectioners sugar differs from superfine sugar in that
confectioners sugar is cut with corn starch.

NightMist

"NightMist" wrote in message

Darn right it is!

But, like chocolate, vanilla, and inexpensive cotton, here in North
America we also have most of the corn.....

*Happily adds corn syrup to the list with M&M's, cotton, and Wonka for
global barter*

OK, so who will swap me some castor sugar for corn syrup?

NightMist
Is that a reasonable trade?

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 08:04:59 -0500, "SNIGDIBBLY"
wrote:

OMG! That's ridiculous!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old October 8th 05, 04:34 PM

In article ,
NightMist wrote:
On 7 Oct 2005 12:39:53 GMT, wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl wrote:
Sharon
I used to be able to get corn syrup in Melb in the cake decorating shop in
the Port Phillip Arcade just opposite the station. Don't know if they still
have it, but they even send me stuff way out here when I ring. However, I
agree it is likely to be a horrible price!!

The purpose of corn syrup in candy is to keep the sugar from
crystalizing. Honey works as well if not better, and by the same
mechanism. (If anybody cares, I can explain the mechanism.)
It has more flavour, which I think is an advantage. It's also
much sweeter, for the same calories.

Anther way to keep sugar from crystalizing in a recipe is to add a
teaspoon of liquid glucose.

Corn syrup is, essentially, just glucose (also known as dextrose) and
water, so "liquid glucose" should do it quite well!

I would imagine that it would take a deal of fussing to get a recipe
right using glucose as a substitute though, the simple volume being so
different and all.

I've never seen "liquid glucose" for sale around here, but I do see
fructose ("fruit sugar") as a powder. It should work, too. Honey is
half and half glucose and fructose -- the bees produce it by splitting
sucrose (white sugar, cane sugar, what people normally mean when they
say sugar), a disaccharide, into its two constituent monosaccharides.
Corn syrup is made by splitting the polysaccharide (corn) starch into
its constituent glucose molecules.

"Golden syrup" may also work, although I've never used it. AFAIK, it's
similar to corn syrup, but with a bit more flavour. I suppose it's like
"dark corn syrup", but I'm not sure.

The basic principle is that having other sugar molecules around gums up
crystalization process of the sucrose. In crystalization, the molecules
pack together in a neat and orderly manner, and having some around that
don't quite fit messes this up. Imagine arranging a lot of identical
cubes in a neat, solid mass. Now imagine trying it if some of the blocks
are not the same size, or not cubical.

Most recipes have quite a lot of flex to them. I find that I can often
cut the sugar, fat and eggs in a recipe by half or three-quarters, and
still get something I like, or like better. Of course, if you're cutting
the main constituent, you have to be a little more cautious! But really,
the idea of recipes with exact ingredients is a fairly new one, as is the
idea of measuring ingredients other than by eye, or by what the stuff looks
like once the ingredient is added. If you use good ingredients, what comes
out will usually be good, or at least edible, so get back to our roots, and
experiment!