Compact sewing machine suggestion

Old February 1st 05, 09:44 AM

Default Compact sewing machine suggestion

I am trying to figure out what kind of compact-sized sewing machine to
send my daughter at college and thought I would take suggestions here.
I doubt she is going to be doing a lot of sewing over there, but she
does split seams, rip pockets, and tear out hems a lot, and she might
sew a skirt or two if she really got desperate. The following issues
are pertinent:

* I am a single parent (she is paying for her own college education
herself, BTW), and the most I have ever spent on a sewing machine for
myself was about $300, so please don't suggest a $1000 machine, because
I'll never be able to afford it.

* She was not interested in taking my Featherweight, which I would have
been willing to give up for her to take. (I don't think I can afford to
buy one just for her on my budget.)

* She also was not interested in taking her own sewing machine. I am
not sure if it's because it is too big, because she never really liked
it after we got it (although she liked it perfectly well before we got
it), because there's something wrong with it that she doesn't want to
tell me about, or because she is not happy that I didn't pass my lovely
70s or 80s era New Home (which I am *VERY* emotionally attached to) down
to her once I got my Singer 500A -- or maybe it's a combination of all
of the above.

* I live in California. She is in South Carolina. The postal charges
to there are pretty steep from what I have mailed her, so I don't want
to have to mail anything terribly heavy to her.

* It's got to be something noticeably smaller than a full-sized machine,
because she's living in a dorm room and doesn't have a lot of space.

* We have a Singer 99 here, but I suspect it's too heavy to ship (see
distance and shipping cost comments below).

* Ditto for a Singer 66 that my son never converted to a handcrank
model and I might be able to talk him out of, but I think that might be
a full-sized machine anyway.

* I also have a Singer 301, but not only am I moderately attached to it,
but I think it's bigger than the 99 in size by the time you include its
carrying case, so I'm not sure if she would want that or not, but then
again, if there is a soft-sided case somewhere that would fit it, I
could probably afford to buy one for her off of Ebay or somewhere
similar (sew-rite.com?).

* I am pretty sure a Singer 400 or 500 series machine is out due to size.

* I also have a Singer 185K in a nice hard plastic case that may or may
not weigh less than the 99, but I haven't ever compared their weights.
I rescued it from a thrift store and it runs perfectly except that it
needs a new belt, which a local sewing machine store can provide. I
have no emotional attachment to this machine, so apart from possible
weight issues it is a good candidate.

* I see Singer Genies -- those "flower power" machines from the 70s or
80s or so -- on Ebay off and on, and I could try to convince a seller to
pack it well and send it directly to her instead of to me, and the price
would be right.

* I could also save my money for a few months and get her a Janome Gem
($249 USD new or I also see them occasionally on Ebay) and have it sent
directly to her.

* I've been off the beaten path on older machines -- if anybody could
point me to a list of which Singers were more compact in size, that
might help me select one from Ebay or somewhere.

* I really would like to send her a machine that has ZZ on it without
needing an attachment, but that's not a 100% requirement, just a strong
hope.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.
Old February 1st 05, 12:00 PM
georg

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

* She also was not interested in taking her own sewing machine. I am
not sure if it's because it is too big, because she never really liked
it after we got it (although she liked it perfectly well before we got
it), because there's something wrong with it that she doesn't want to
tell me about, or because she is not happy that I didn't pass my lovely
70s or 80s era New Home (which I am *VERY* emotionally attached to) down
to her once I got my Singer 500A -- or maybe it's a combination of all
of the above.

Since she wasn't interested in taking her own machine, and she probably
isn't going to do a lot of sewing, I suggest having a long chat with her
about why she didn't take a sewing machine. She may simply not think
it's cool to have a sewing machine at college or actually plan to use
one at all. She may prefer to back-burner the sewing hobby entirely
while away at college. And there is nothing wrong with that- there's a
lot to do at college. She may also change her mind later.

My neice took her sewing machine to college because she loves making
costumes and college affords a lot of opportunities for that. She's also
a theater major. She got her first sewing machine of her own from her
grandmother while a freshman with all of that in mind.

I've loved sewing for most of my life, but I left the machine at home
when I went to college. I did not have time to do sewing. Room for me
wasn't the issue- if I wanted it, I would have made the room happen.

I think you have a good handle on what machines are available and are
good options. One of my friends swears by her Genie. But because your
money is tight, I'd talk to her about it before you send her a machine
that she has no interest in receiving.

-georg
Old February 1st 05, 12:51 PM
Kate Dicey

Sewing machine ideas gently trimmed...

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Let her do a term without a machine as she chose not to take one. If
she rants about needing one, THEN think about what to let her take.

I bought my 66 hand crank while at college: it was never out of use
while I was there! I sewed everything from a tarp off a lorry to silk
chiffon on it! She might want to think about the sort of use she'd put
it to before thinking about the model...

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 1st 05, 12:59 PM
mamahays

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
I am trying to figure out what kind of compact-sized sewing machine to
send my daughter at college and thought I would take suggestions here.
I doubt she is going to be doing a lot of sewing over there, but she
does split seams, rip pockets, and tear out hems a lot, and she might
sew a skirt or two if she really got desperate. The following issues
are pertinent:

Thinking back to my own college days of living in a 9'x12' dorm room....
There just might not be room. And since she didn't want to take her
machine.... Maybe a really good, well stocked, but small hand sewing kit
would be a better idea. That way if she needed to do some mending, she
could. But she wouldn't have to give up any room. Believe me, my roommates
and I (yes there was usually 2 of us in that tiny space!) learned to use
every inch of available space. As much as I would have loved to have a
sewing machine with me, there was no room for one.

I'd have a chat with her and get her to tell you, very honestly and frankly,
if she wants a machine there. You have to be OK with whatever she says. If
she says no there isn't room, then you have to not worry about it, or get
your feelings hurt. ((hug)) If she does want one there, then you need her
to tell you exactly how much room she is going to have to give it a home.

Sharon

--
---
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of time and just annoys the

Old February 1st 05, 02:08 PM
Barbara Raper

Melinda, there are 3 good sewing machine shops within 4 miles of BJU where
she might get a machine that doesn't cost very much. Heirloom Stitching
might be the closest. The city bus runs fairly regular, but the system has
been known to shut down for a few months, now and then. Also, there are
possible clothing construction classes at BJU and she might have the use of
the machines after supper. That is what I did at another university a long
time ago.
Barbara in FL & SC

"Melinda Meahan - I am trying to figure out what kind of compact-sized
sewing machine to
send my daughter at college

Old February 1st 05, 02:50 PM
Charlotte

georg wrote:

She may also change her mind later.

That was me.
Let her go without a machine. Tell her you will find her one if she
wants it then wait for her to ask for one.

-Charlotte
Old February 1st 05, 02:53 PM
Volfie, Owner, GizzMutt Stables

Needle and thread. Can be shipped for under $1.

Giselle (unless it's her major, if you daughter is spending her time sewing
in college, she's just not doing something right

Old February 1st 05, 03:04 PM
Roberta Zollner

IMO the couple of inches difference in the footprint of a compact vs a full
size machine would not make that much difference. Does she actually want a
machine with her?

Back in the dark ages when I lived in a dorm, I had my (full size) machine
with me. Used to do mending and alterations to earn book money. Good therapy
too. (Hadn't started quilting way back then.)
Roberta in D

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" schrieb
im Newsbeitrag ...

Old February 1st 05, 03:27 PM
JG1

*If* she really wants a smaller sewing machine at college, then sell the one
she left at home because she doesn't like it, send her the money and let her
pick out her own there.
--
Ginger (in Texas) who did not take a sewing machine to college because she
only had time to do quick repairs by hand, but did use the machine at home

who did not take a sewing machine to college because she only had time for
quick repairs done by hand anyway

Old February 1st 05, 05:52 PM
Karen Maslowski

Since Melinda's daughter is at a Christian college, she may just need
something to keep her busy when she's not studying. I vote for sending
her a machine. My daughter asked for one last year (her second year at
college), and she actually used it. Plus, she left it in her storage
locker over the summer, which surprised and thrilled me.

My oldest daughter, who is expecting my first grand in less than two
weeks (!), has asked for a machine, too. I taught her to use a machine a
long time ago, but she never really took to it, so this is big. ;-

Karen Maslowski in Ohio