sewing a kimono for halloween (going as oren)

Old October 22nd 03, 12:28 PM
SewStorm

I look terrible in proper obis, so I just make a long sash, about 3in wide,
usually cut on the bias. It is a very Western look, really.

Trish, I participated in a bale buy of kimono, many years ago, and in my share
was one small obi. It's about 3-4" wide, made of something that is similar to,
but stiffer than, grosgrain ribbon, with extended ties. It would be perfect for
what you're talking about. I can't think what I did with that, must have given
it away.

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old October 22nd 03, 02:02 PM
Mike Behrent

Here's pictures of my wife in her Yukata, This was before I narroewed down
the obi. This was my very first sewing project. I never sewed a stitch
before this
http://www.newsgarden.org/chatters/c...07LinYuk32.jpg

This jumper and jacket were the second project
http://www.newsgarden.org/chatters/c...07LinJumpb.jpg

I think I did ok for a complete beginner.

"SewStorm" wrote in message
cheated. My wife isn't about to learn to tie a traditional obi G

Plus, they're about 3 yards plus long. Very few modern women want that

much
fabric, doubled, wrapped around their middle!

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old October 22nd 03, 04:46 PM

SewStorm wrote:
cheated. My wife isn't about to learn to tie a traditional obi G

Plus, they're about 3 yards plus long. Very few modern women want that much
fabric, doubled, wrapped around their middle!

I think I recall reading in some book or another that the obi was
supposed to help reinforce a barrel look -- so I think it's deliberate.

Melinda, chuckling over how much padding she would need to obliterate
the appearance of an extremely large bust size to look properly Japanese

Old October 22nd 03, 04:52 PM
Mike Behrent

You're right on that. The iseal appearance was cylindical. A look not
particularly well suited to most women G
Mike in Wisconsin

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...

Old October 22nd 03, 04:55 PM

sewing a kimono for halloween (going as oren)

(SewStorm)
Trish shared the hard truth with us:
I look terrible in proper obis, so I just make a long sash, about 3in
wide, usually cut on the bias. It is a very Western look, really.

Whereupon Karen confessed:
Trish, I participated in a bale buy of kimono, many years ago, and in
my share was one small obi. It's about 3-4" wide, made of something that
is similar to, but stiffer than, grosgrain ribbon, with extended ties.
It would be perfect for what you're talking about. I can't think what I
did with that, must have given it away.
Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

And then Cea jumped in with:
It makes me want to weep every time I think about missing those
kimono bale sales. I eventually sent DD#1 $2,000, and asked her to buy
in my stead from one of the kimono shows in California. I specified no
gaudy prints, had her pick out the blue, black and brown colors.
I sold several kimono and obi, and still have a stash of them
carefully preserved in cotton sheeting. As it turns out, most people
think they can buy wedding kimono for $50.00.
Hah. I do a lot of educating.
Cea

Old October 22nd 03, 07:00 PM
Mike Behrent

A wedding kimono for $50? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!. I've seen pictures of wedding
kimonos that cost up to $50,000. I have yet to see even a well used one
going for less than $1,000.

Old October 22nd 03, 07:47 PM
Emily

Mike, those are fantastic outfits for any sewist, especially for a novice.
Emily

Old October 22nd 03, 08:19 PM
SewStorm

A wedding kimono for $50? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!. I've seen pictures of wedding
kimonos that cost up to $50,000. I have yet to see even a well used one
going for less than $1,000.

Hmm, this makes me very happy that I kept my short black silk one. It's
absolutely gorgeous, but very simple. Black four-ply silk on one side, with no
ornamentation except for a stark white lotus on each chest, plus a larger one
in the center of the back. On the reverse side is a magnificent silk charmeuse
scene in lots of stormy looking greys and silver. I wear it sometimes as a
jacket, over dressy pants or skirt.

My friend has a few dozen, and she has some that are very beautiful. But the
best piece she has is an obi, couched with what looks like 18kt gold cording.
Breathtaking.

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old October 22nd 03, 10:03 PM
Mike Behrent

Can any woman get the Barbie look?

Mike Behrent wrote:
You're right on that. The iseal appearance was cylindical. A look not
particularly well suited to most women G

Yeah, but at least it's more achievable for more women than the Barbie

look.