OT - any bug experts here?

Old April 5th 04, 11:02 PM
JS

Default OT - any bug experts here?

Where is Gil Grissom when I need him?

DS and I caught about 30 bugs outside yesterday and today. They are little
black things with yellow stripes, which I assumed were crickets. I want to
find more info about this particular kind to study them with DS, but I can't
seem to find a pic that looks like them. They might be grasshoppers,
apparently, but most of my bug knowlege is limited to "scares me" and
"doesn't scare me". I am so proud of my bug catching skills. Usually my
method is run and scream, but I was very calm with my tupperware and
notepad method. I only screamed twice (maybe three times) when they jumped
on me.

DH actually had a fit when he saw all of the alleged crickets on the side of
the house. They were just sitting there, enjoying the sun. He thinks they
are "up to something", and wants me to just spray them with raid or call an
exterminator. I'd rather not just kill them, even if they are bugs. I
don't like spraying poison around the house if I can avoid it. I'm catching
as many as I can and after DS and I are done with them, they are going to be
given to a friend with a lizard. Circle of life, baby.

DS is a first grader in need of enrichment, and currently we are doing the
bug thing. We had ladybug larvae and watched them change into ladybugs,
then set them free in the yard. We also got painted lady butterfly larvae
and did the same thing. He seems to be enjoying this, and as long as the
critters stay on the porch it is okay with me. We found several books and
an activity kit at the bookstore today, but nothing with pictures of our
bugs. We're going to try praying mantis next, although those are edging
into the "scares me" category.

If anyone has any suggestions or info I would love it.

Of course, we already have a bug jar quilt, but there are plenty of bug
fabric scraps for another.

Thanks,

Jennifer in Florida

Old April 5th 04, 11:07 PM
Pat in Virginia

Jennifer: Wow, this sounds fun, can I come visit? I may be way
off base on this but I THINK that the Preying Mantis is
'protected' insect, so you may not want to mess with it. Mean
time, I'm planning a bug jar quilt for a great nephew .... maybe?
PAT in VA/USA

JS wrote:...cut...

Old April 5th 04, 11:08 PM
Lizzy Taylor

JS wrote:
Where is Gil Grissom when I need him?

DS and I caught about 30 bugs outside yesterday and today. They are little
black things with yellow stripes,
If anyone has any suggestions or info I would love it.

Are they colorado beetles?

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pestnote/colorado.htm

We don't actually have them in the UK, but just occasionally they wing
their way across the English Channel from France and as the only ggod
things from France are wine & cheese they are a notifiable pest.

Lizzy

--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E

Old April 5th 04, 11:25 PM
Mary in Rock Island IL

No idea on what they are. Here are some ideas on how I would find
out:

take a few (in a jar) to a reference librarian
take that jar to a county extension office
take that jar to my local science museum
same jar to a local science teacher
same jar to an exterminator

Good luck!
Mary
Old April 6th 04, 12:10 AM
K. Reece

"JS" wrote in message
om...
We're going to try praying mantis next, although those are edging
into the "scares me" category.

If anyone has any suggestions or info I would love it.

Thanks,

Jennifer in Florida

I don't know what kind of bugs you caught but praying mantises are seriously
way cool bugs.

Kathy in Ks.

Old April 6th 04, 12:41 AM
Dannielle

When I had a bug I couldn't identify, I took it to my local garden store for
help with identification. They were very helpful! Or an exterminator could
do the job of identification as well!

Good luck!
Dannielle

om...

Old April 6th 04, 12:44 AM
JS

Nope. They are definitely either a cricket or a grasshopper. I think they
may be a juvenile form, which is why I am having trouble finding a picture
to match. We just caught three more. Boy, is the lizard going to be happy.

Jen in Florida
"Lizzy Taylor" wrote in message
.. .

Old April 6th 04, 01:18 AM
Polly Esther

"If a praying mantis spits in your eye, you will be blinded." A mean little
boy told me that when I was a wee tot. I guess you could test it out. Polly

"Dannielle" wrote in message
When I had a bug I couldn't identify, I took it to my local garden store

for
help with identification. They were very helpful! Or an exterminator

could
do the job of identification as well!

Good luck!
Dannielle

om...

Old April 6th 04, 02:26 AM
JS

Thanks for the links. I was searching for cricket identification, I guess I
was being too specific. What we have are either field crickets or house
crickets. They eat fabric, so they must go.

I do think I will be taking some photos of these and any other bugs DS plays
with. How cool would it be to make a bug jar quilt from photos of actual
bugs? Sounds like a great summer project to me. Poor kid. We'll work in
science, math, art, and mom is crazy, all into one project.

Jennifer in Florida

"John A." wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 22:02:25 GMT, "JS"
wrote:

Where is Gil Grissom when I need him?

DS and I caught about 30 bugs outside yesterday and today. They are

little
black things with yellow stripes, which I assumed were crickets. I want

find more info about this particular kind to study them with DS, but I

can't
seem to find a pic that looks like them. They might be grasshoppers,
apparently, but most of my bug knowlege is limited to "scares me" and
"doesn't scare me". I am so proud of my bug catching skills. Usually my
method is run and scream, but I was very calm with my tupperware and
notepad method. I only screamed twice (maybe three times) when they

jumped
on me.

There seems to be a number of resources on the web...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

JA

Old April 6th 04, 02:52 AM
KJ

Great idea! Photo transfer bugs in a bug jar quilt! I love it!

Kathyl

remove "nospam-" before mchsi

om...

wrote:

Where is Gil Grissom when I need him?

DS and I caught about 30 bugs outside yesterday and today. They are

little
black things with yellow stripes, which I assumed were crickets. I

want
find more info about this particular kind to study them with DS, but I

can't
seem to find a pic that looks like them. They might be grasshoppers,
apparently, but most of my bug knowlege is limited to "scares me" and
"doesn't scare me". I am so proud of my bug catching skills. Usually

my
method is run and scream, but I was very calm with my tupperware and
notepad method. I only screamed twice (maybe three times) when they

jumped
on me.

There seems to be a number of resources on the web...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...identification
&btnG=Google+Search

JA