Pine Trees and squares

Old October 2nd 15, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Pine Trees and squares

I found this picture of a quilt in a magazine or quilt flyer. It is very simple except for the pine trees. There are 16 squares in one block and then the pine tree block. I have never made a pine tree before, so this looks like a challenge for me. Since I have only a picture and no instructions, so will try to graft out the pine tree block after deciding how big to make my squares. If any one on this newsgroup knows how to make pine trees I could sure use your input. I keep asking myself why I try doing things like this.
Sandy$
Old October 5th 15, 08:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian[_3_]

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 08:28:10 -0700, morningdove2011 wrote:

I found this picture of a quilt in a magazine or quilt flyer. It is very
simple except for the pine trees. There are 16 squares in one block and
then the pine tree block. I have never made a pine tree before, so this
looks like a challenge for me. Since I have only a picture and no
instructions, so will try to graft out the pine tree block after
deciding how big to make my squares. If any one on this newsgroup knows
how to make pine trees I could sure use your input. I keep asking
myself why I try doing things like this.
Sandy$

Is it a stylyzed pine tree like this one: http://quilting.about.com/od/
blockofthemonth/ss/christmas_tree.htm, or is it realistic looking like a
photograph.

Brian Christiansen
Old October 5th 15, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

wrote in message

I found this picture of a quilt in a magazine or quilt flyer. It is
very simple except for the pine trees. There are 16 squares in one block
and then the pine tree block. I have never made a pine tree before, so this
looks like a challenge for me. Since I have only a picture and no
instructions, so will try to graft out the pine tree block after deciding
how big to make my squares. If any one on this newsgroup knows how to make
pine trees I could sure use your input. I keep asking myself why I try
doing things like this.
Sandy$

Good luck with your trees! Maybe doing trees, and other difficult patterns,
is a personal challenge to you?
I enjoy other types of personal challenges!
Barbara in FL

Old October 5th 15, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 9:28:12 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I found this picture of a quilt in a magazine or quilt flyer. It is very simple except for the pine trees. There are 16 squares in one block and then the pine tree block. I have never made a pine tree before, so this looks like a challenge for me. Since I have only a picture and no instructions, so will try to graft out the pine tree block after deciding how big to make my squares. If any one on this newsgroup knows how to make pine trees I could sure use your input. I keep asking myself why I try doing things like this.
Sandy$

Hello Brian,
The tree is made like flying geese pattern but with the wings to the edge of the block on each side. Three sections and the tree trunk section. 5 1/2 rectangle(top), 6 1/2 rectangle 2nd tier, and 3rd tier 7 1/2" rectangle. The
4th tier is the tree trunk and back ground to the edge of block. Hope you get the general idea. All 4 sections are 3 inches long.
Sandy$
Old October 5th 15, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 9:28:12 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I found this picture of a quilt in a magazine or quilt flyer. It is very simple except for the pine trees. There are 16 squares in one block and then the pine tree block. I have never made a pine tree before, so this looks like a challenge for me. Since I have only a picture and no instructions, so will try to graft out the pine tree block after deciding how big to make my squares. If any one on this newsgroup knows how to make pine trees I could sure use your input. I keep asking myself why I try doing things like this.
Sandy$

Hello Bobbie Sews More,
Oh, quilt blocks with no pattern is not the only challenge I have. Life is a roller coaster ride and challenging too. Thanks for you comment.
Sandy$

Old October 7th 15, 01:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian[_3_]

On Mon, 05 Oct 2015 09:22:12 -0700, morningdove2011 wrote:

Hello Brian,
The tree is made like flying geese pattern but with the wings to the
edge of the block on each side. Three sections and the tree trunk
section. 5 1/2 rectangle(top), 6 1/2 rectangle 2nd tier, and 3rd
tier 7 1/2" rectangle. The
4th tier is the tree trunk and back ground to the edge of block. Hope
you get the general idea. All 4 sections are 3 inches long.
Sandy$

Sort of, in that I know what a "flying geese" block looks like.

It sounds like what you are trying to make is a stylized pine tree, not a
"photo-realistic" one.

All I can say is that a google search with the search terms "pine tree
quilt block" or "flying geese pine tree quilt block" will yield
instructions on how to make a pine tree block that is based on a flying
goose pattern.

That is how I found the instructions for the block on about.com that I
referred to, and I think I found a few others as well.

Without a picture, I cannot say much more, and I really don't think
anyone else can either.

Brian Christiansen
Old October 7th 15, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Hello Brian,
A flying geese is a rectangle with usually a square at the end of each rectangle, line drawn cross wise from inner corner to bottom outer edge and sewn on line. You cut off the outer corner. press the corner left "up". The only difference for my geese was I had a long rectangle on each side instead of a square, that became the background that extended to the block edge.
Sandy$
Old October 7th 15, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian[_3_]

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 09:15:55 -0700, morningdove2011 wrote:

Hello Brian,
A flying geese is a rectangle with usually a square at the end of
each rectangle, line drawn cross wise from inner corner to bottom
outer edge and sewn on line. You cut off the outer corner. press
the corner left "up". The only difference for my geese was I had a
long rectangle on each side instead of a square, that became the
background that extended to the block edge.
Sandy$

I know what a "flying geese" looks like.

My point is that there are probably a lot of quilters that make pine tree
blocks, and many probably use a modified flying geese pattern. as it
looks like it could be readily adapted for that.

They could give instructions to make a block in the same way that they
do, or give instructions on how to find the pattern they use, but without
a picture, there is no way they can know if it produces what you are
trying to make.

Brian Christiansen
Old October 8th 15, 11:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann[_2_]

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 10:28:12 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I found this picture of a quilt in a magazine or quilt flyer. It is very simple except for the pine trees. There are 16 squares in one block and then the pine tree block. I have never made a pine tree before, so this looks like a challenge for me. Since I have only a picture and no instructions, so will try to graft out the pine tree block after deciding how big to make my squares. If any one on this newsgroup knows how to make pine trees I could sure use your input. I keep asking myself why I try doing things like this.
Sandy$

Your description sounds to me like a pine tree design by Debbie Mumm or Lynette Jensen, especially if you found it in a flyer. (Both Mumm & Jensen did a lot of mailorder books/patterns.) I found this example: http://www.patsknittingandquilting.c...stmastrees.jpg

I have both Mumm and Jensen books but no time to look them up right now -- email me if you want me to poke around.

Nann

Old October 10th 15, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Hello Naan and Brian,
I found the flyer, so it is in Keepsake Quilting (Holiday 2015) catalogue on page 9. One block is the 16 squares and the other is the pine tree. I made all my pine trees with yellow background. I made the rows that have only two trees in a lighter shade of green. It will have a red print inner border and dark green 5 1/2 inch outer that matches one of the 16 squares.
I am sewing the rows together today. Thanks you all for your thoughts..
Sandy$
Note: You might view it by going to their web sight www.keepsakequilting.com