Custom Raku Glazes

Old September 30th 04, 07:43 PM
Tina P

Default Custom Raku Glazes

Hi there folks,

I'm new to the group and fairly new to pottery as well - started not that
long ago and got hooked INSTANTLY.

My question is this:

I've done some raku with commercially available glazes at the studio where
I'm learning and started looking online at different colors/tones that might
be available. I found A LOT of recipes for 'mix it yourself' glazes. How
difficult is it to find the materials and make these glazes yourself?

Thanks,
Tina

Old September 30th 04, 08:05 PM
Richard Kaszeta

"Tina P" writes:
I've done some raku with commercially available glazes at the studio where
I'm learning and started looking online at different colors/tones that might
be available. I found A LOT of recipes for 'mix it yourself' glazes. How
difficult is it to find the materials and make these glazes yourself?

Pretty easy, most of the supply catalogs carry all the compounds you
need for most glazes.

However, note that even with a recipe, glazes can be temperamental, so
make sure you don't get attached to anything you're glazing with a new
glaze (I've got a pretty big smash pile of pieces with horrible raku
glaze experiments on them...)

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Old September 30th 04, 08:21 PM
Tina P

Thanks! Do you have any online supply companies that you like to deal with
in particular?

Tina

PS - LOVE the terror alert indicator on your website....

Old September 30th 04, 08:53 PM
Richard Kaszeta

"Tina P" writes:
Thanks! Do you have any online supply companies that you like to deal with
in particular?

Seattle Pottery, mostly, sometimes Campbell's Ceramic Supply. Most of
what you are buying is pretty much commodity items, so I use wherever
I can get a good deal.

What sort of raku glazes are you looking for?

PS - LOVE the terror alert indicator on your website....

It wasn't my idea, if you click on it you can see where I got it from.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Old September 30th 04, 09:50 PM
Tina P

"Richard Kaszeta" wrote...

What sort of raku glazes are you looking for?

Didn't really have anything specific in mind - just looking around to see
what the possibilities are at this point. I'm having a great time trying
things out and learning!

PS - LOVE the terror alert indicator on your website....

It wasn't my idea, if you click on it you can see where I got it from.

I saw that - bookmarked it for later use!

Raku glazes Richard Kaszeta Pottery 0 July 16th 04 12:37 PM
FAQ Raku part 1 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 October 21st 03 02:12 PM
FAQ Raku part 1 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 September 16th 03 11:10 PM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM