Felting wool from goodwill clothing

Old September 28th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Felting wool from goodwill clothing

I want to make some wool interlock covers for my baby-to-be's cloth
diapers. I can get free "rags" (ie ripped or well worn clothing) from
goodwill, so I am curious if I can felt the skirts (I will look for
100% wool, not a poly mix) just by putting them in the washer on hot
and then rinsing them in cold.

I know there are others out there who also use goodwill clothing for
their crafts, etc. Do you find the dyes in the wool run? And do you
find one run thru the hot/cold water felts them enough or do I need to
run them through a few times to shrink them so they won't shrink more
once I've made the diaper covers?

Shaynelle

Old September 28th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Betty in Wi

That will do it.......cut them apart first so they shrink evenly.

Betty in WI

ups.com...

Old September 29th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

I've used wool for a couple of quilts and they came out very nice. I
also buy used woolen clothing at the thrift shops, pop them in a hot
water wash and dryer. They come out a little thicker feeling and very
soft and I've never had any of them run, even a deep burgandy red piece.

Denise
http://community.webtv.net/DeniseJG/
My QI

Old September 29th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Paulette in WV

I have found that it depends on the weave of the wool. If it is a tight
weave, one HOT wash and cold rinse, and a LONG tumble in a hot dryer will do
it. However, I have had a few loose weaves that I have had to put through a
few cycles.

Some colors will run. I was likes together, and use one of those Shout Dye
sheets.

Best of luck,
Paulette in WV
ups.com...