OT Happy Thanksgiving and What are your Plans?

Old November 24th 04, 08:13 AM
LilyFlower

Default OT Happy Thanksgiving and What are your Plans?

Hi,
Best wishes for a wonderful holiday, however you chose to celebrate!!
I've always thought there is something special about Thanksgiving,
time to spend with friends and family without all the pressure of
gifts (even though that's fun too)!!
I share the cooking with a friend and my son (he's the best cook of us
all!) and the easy part of it because it's at my friend's house.
Enjoy. And share your plans, or whatever you did, please.
Lilyflower
Old November 24th 04, 09:35 AM
Kalera Stratton

Thanksgiving is my second favorite holiday! My first favorite is Ostara,
of course... all the food and family togetherness, PLUS egg coloring and
chocolate!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old November 24th 04, 12:39 PM
Beadbimbo

I couldn't agree with you more! I love the getting together, without
worrying about presents! We don't have a lot of family, and they're not
around, so we're spending the day with some friends, who also don't have
family in the area. I'm making the sweet potato casserole, a salad, and the
bread. My friend's hubby loves to cook, so I know we'll be eating well!

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com
om...

Old November 24th 04, 01:50 PM
Peggy

Happy Thanksgiving, Lilyflower and everyone.

My husband and I are staying here and celebrating with my MIL and a friend
of mine. We are all sharing the cooking. Well, except for my husband that
is. He is "sharing the eating," as he likes to say.

Old November 24th 04, 02:19 PM
Karen_AZ

We're packing up our dinner, taking some blankets, and going to our new
house. It's only framed and partially sided, but it has a roof and it's
HOME. We're having dinner picnic-style after we watch the parade. Macy's is
obligatory this year, because DD's high school marching band is in it.
cheering She has several friends in band, so she's almost as excited as
they are. So if you see Highland High School from Gilbert AZ, that's them!

I'm making turkey, my Mom's Penn Dutch potato filling (think traditional
stuffing mixed with mashed potatoes, makes it moister and a little sweet),
Mike's chorizo and blue cornbread stuffing, a broccoli-cauliflower-cheddar
bake, giblet gravy, a cranberry compote I nabbed from FoodTv last year that
we really like, and pumpkin cheesecake. Everything's done but the turkey,
gravy and cheesecake (cake gets baked today). I promised DS he could help
with the cake so I have to wait for him to return from a 3-day science camp
with his school, up in Prescott. Poor kiddo, it's been COLD up there, even
snowing over 6000 ft. He's gonna be cold but happy!

KarenK

Old November 24th 04, 03:36 PM
Diana Curtis

Every year Mike gets a *gozilla* bird from the company he works for. Every
year we have cooked it and been dismayed at how greasy and nasty it is. This
year we decided to smoke it. Mike has stayed up late the last two nights to
smoke ours and a friends turkeys. Other than that I dont know what we will
eat. My older bro will join us and after we eat we will watch a movie, Shrek
2 probably. It will be a nice quiet day.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old November 24th 04, 03:56 PM
Tinkster

John and I have very tiny families, and what remains of mine is all
spread out. We'll be spending the day with his mom, across the river.
For the very first time ever, we are having Thanksgiving dinner at a
restaurant.

It will feel kind of odd, but it will also be nice to not have to deal
with all the cooking and fixing and cleaning up. It seems to be the
same amount of work/trouble for 30 people as it is for 3.

For me, this is the start of my "Battle the Blues" season. I don't
deal well with the whole Christmas thing.

Tink
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
Old November 24th 04, 04:28 PM
Diana Curtis

A lot of people dont handle this holiday season well. I love Christmas, but
recognize it brings a lot of baggage along with it. Over the years I have
made mine more the way I really like it and that helps.
Lets see, I have stopped (for the most part) giving gifts that I feel
obligated to give, I give from love. I decorate simply and the holiday meal
is simple and easy. Sure dont need another heavy meal at this time of year.
I refuse to fret over who gets the grown up kids for which part of the
holiday. I dont spend more than we can afford to spend. I give the gifts
when it feels right instead of on Chrismas Eve or morning. I do my best to
avoid shopping in stores after Thanksgiving. Overdosing on musac Christmas
carols will make me NUTS.
Figuring out why the season bugs us helps us define what we need to change
to make it palatable.
At least that is what helped me.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old November 24th 04, 05:43 PM
Su/Cutworks

Diana wrote:

A lot of people dont handle this holiday season well. I love Christmas,

but
recognize it brings a lot of baggage along with it. Over the years I have
made mine more the way I really like it and that helps.
Lets see, I have stopped (for the most part) giving gifts that I feel
obligated to give, I give from love.

I just KNEW we were sisters, separated at birth!

I gave Mike the biggest present one year for Christmas, the freedom from
buying me presents for any reason at all. I told him that if he bought me
something it was not to be for birthdays or anniversarys or Christmas, but
just because he wants to.

I also gave myself the present of not feeling hurt if he didn't buy me
something.

It's made the holidays and birthdays so much better. And he does things for
me because he wants to. And I can confidently predict that this Christmas
I'll get what I want most. A cup of tea in bed. Oooh yeah, I forgot.
Beads. It was a great plan to have him learn to make beads, wasn't it?

:-D

-Su

Old November 24th 04, 06:21 PM
Karen_AZ

It will feel kind of odd, but it will also be nice to not have to deal
with all the cooking and fixing and cleaning up. It seems to be the
same amount of work/trouble for 30 people as it is for 3.

My Mom declared "no-cook Thanksgiving" when I was about 10. Each year we'd
go to a different restaurant and have their feast. It was a lot of fun, and
many places do reasonably-priced meals compared to their regular menus. She
always figured cooking for both T-day and Christmas was just too much. Smart
woman!

I'm doing T-day, then helping my Mom at Christmas as well. How'd THAT
happen? LOL

KarenK (glutton....for punishment)