Sewing for a toddler. Need easy patterns

Old November 7th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Myrna

Default Sewing for a toddler. Need easy patterns

HI, All,
I haven't sewn for a long time and I know things have changed. I'd like
to make something for my granddaughter but I need something easy that
uses fabric that is easy to work with. Also do patterns come
true-to-size? If I buy T2, will it be the size of T2s in the stores?

I have no idea where to start.

Thanks much!
Myrna

Old November 7th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Myrna wrote:
HI, All,
I haven't sewn for a long time and I know things have
changed. I'd like to make something for my granddaughter
but I need something easy that uses fabric that is easy
to work with.

Try to find patterns which claim they are "quick" or "easy",
although that's not always a guarantee. I like the looks of:
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...I=20013&page=1
but it's been a long time since I sewed for a toddler. I also
like Simplicity
http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?...=13&startrow=1
although some here don't.

And pay attention to the "suggested fabric" guidelines on the
back of the pattern.

Also do patterns come true-to-size? If I
buy T2, will it be the size of T2s in the stores?

Noooooooo!!! Go to:
http://www.voguepatterns.com/indexfv.html
click on "Tech Center" | click on "Standard Body Measurement
Chart" | click on "Toddlers" and you'll find *pattern industry*
standard measurements. Patterns don't (usually) come in "1T",
"2T", etc. If your granddaughter is not in your area, ask her
mother/father to take those measurements, and *buy the pattern
which most closely matches* the child's *actual* measurements.
The first link on the Vogue Tech Center site has "How to measure"
directions.

I have no idea where to start.

A good book for beginning (or returning) sewists is: The
Reader's Digest New Complete Guide to Sewing"
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Sewin.../dp/0762104201
which will get you up to speed on newer fabrics, and techniques.

And come back here to ask! We love getting more people involved
in our favorite sport!

NAYY,

Beverly

Old November 8th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Olwyn Mary

Myrna wrote:
HI, All,
I haven't sewn for a long time and I know things have changed. I'd like
to make something for my granddaughter but I need something easy that
uses fabric that is easy to work with. Also do patterns come
true-to-size? If I buy T2, will it be the size of T2s in the stores?

I have no idea where to start.

Thanks much!
Myrna

The "Big Three" patterns are sized for baby elephants. Try Kwik-Sew.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old November 8th 06, 09:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate Dicey

Olwyn Mary wrote:

Myrna wrote:

HI, All,
I haven't sewn for a long time and I know things have changed. I'd like
to make something for my granddaughter but I need something easy that
uses fabric that is easy to work with. Also do patterns come
true-to-size? If I buy T2, will it be the size of T2s in the stores?

I have no idea where to start.

Thanks much!
Myrna

The "Big Three" patterns are sized for baby elephants. Try Kwik-Sew.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

No patterns are the size of ready-to-wear! Kwick Sew are good, and
sized for growth. For James I found they were nothing like long enough,
once he got to toddler sizes, but he *is* tall: 98th percentile all the
way! (Now, at 12, he's as tall as me - 5'3"!)

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old November 8th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Juno

Kate Dicey wrote:
Olwyn Mary wrote:

Myrna wrote:

HI, All,
I haven't sewn for a long time and I know things have changed. I'd like
to make something for my granddaughter but I need something easy that
uses fabric that is easy to work with. Also do patterns come
true-to-size? If I buy T2, will it be the size of T2s in the stores?

I third Kwik Sew. I like the book sewing for toddlers. It comes with a

master patter that has multiple sizes and styles. Just don't forget to
buy tracing paper so you can draw out the patterns. You don't want to
cut your master pattern. The book is well worth the money because it
covers a lot of sizes.
Juno
Old November 9th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
romanyroamer

Hi Kate,
I Know what it is to have "giants" for children!! My 18yr old D is just over
6ft (still growing) 15 yr old son is 6ft4 (still growing rapidly) and 12
yr. old D has just hit 6ft (still growing) This is very *scary* and hard to
keep them clothed. The other 4 are also tall for their ages except the 14 yr
old daughter who has always been small. She was recently diagnosed with type
1 juvenile diabetes. Since she has been on insulin she has begun to grow but
don't think she will catch the others! She will be tall but not a Giant (as
the 3yr. old calls them!).....Amelia

Old November 9th 06, 09:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate Dicey

romanyroamer wrote:

Hi Kate,
I Know what it is to have "giants" for children!! My 18yr old D is just over
6ft (still growing) 15 yr old son is 6ft4 (still growing rapidly) and 12
yr. old D has just hit 6ft (still growing) This is very *scary* and hard to
keep them clothed. The other 4 are also tall for their ages except the 14 yr
old daughter who has always been small. She was recently diagnosed with type
1 juvenile diabetes. Since she has been on insulin she has begun to grow but
don't think she will catch the others! She will be tall but not a Giant (as
the 3yr. old calls them!).....Amelia

I did a bridesmaid gown for a lass who was 6'2" this last summer. She
looked fantastic, and luckily was one to stand proud and straight in her
flat shoes! I could certainly use a couple more inches in the leg
department... My younger sister is 5'11 or so, and her two lads are
both tall. One is lean but muscular and very sporty (rugby, golf,
cricket, judo... ) and the other a tall skinny grown-in-the-dark weed,
as she puts it (he's actually quite active, though not the sport freak
his older brother is). My sister has always had trouble getting clothes
long enough for them that didn't wrap round three times on the width!
James is the other way... As wide as he's tall! Not fat (carries a
leetle extra round the middle, but I'm encouraging that to go!), but far
from fat. He's just built like a brick netty! I blame his
grandfathers! Alan's dad was 6'3" at his full height (he's shrunk a bit
at 87), and mine, while only 5'10", was very broad across the shoulders:
44" chest, 36" waist at his best rugby playing weight!

James has very rarely worn things out before he outgrew them, even if
bought or made big, with 'room to grow'! Being able to sew when
your kids are odd sizes and shapes is a real advantage, except when they
want to be dressed in the same stuff as all the rest so they don't stand
out too much!
Old November 13th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Myrna

Thanks for your responses! It's all a bit intimidating!

Old November 14th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Juno

Myrna wrote:
Thanks for your responses! It's all a bit intimidating!

No,No,No. It's fun. Give it a try. We'll help you every step of the way.
I love to make children's clothes. You don't have the fiddly fit of
adults clothing usually and they kids think your a genius. One of my
granddaughters, age 7, thinks I can make anything in the world. It's
great for my ego.It also makes me work harder so I don't disappoint her.
Juno
Old November 14th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate Dicey

Juno wrote:

Myrna wrote:

Thanks for your responses! It's all a bit intimidating!

No,No,No. It's fun. Give it a try. We'll help you every step of the way.
I love to make children's clothes. You don't have the fiddly fit of
adults clothing usually and they kids think your a genius. One of my
granddaughters, age 7, thinks I can make anything in the world. It's
great for my ego.It also makes me work harder so I don't disappoint her.
Juno

I don't have grands yet, but son James still thinks I can make almost
anything in no time flat!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

WOOHOO! Easy sewing machine repair Kate G. Quilting 3 October 17th 06 01:35 PM
Applique by sewing thru freezer paper- so easy! Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 14 December 21st 05 02:04 PM
FAQ for RCTQ Dec 2005 frood Quilting 6 December 8th 05 01:30 AM
Vintage sewing patterns for sale on ebay O. Franklin Marketplace 0 July 20th 04 06:23 AM
Klein (Anne & Calvin) patterns FA buck16 Marketplace 0 February 28th 04 09:26 PM