New Laundry web pages

Old October 8th 04, 08:14 AM
Tom Farrell

Default New Laundry web pages

I said I'd post about this when it was ready...

I've written some web pages about doing laundry. It's about how to
make informed choices about detergents, washers, and water
temperature. The goal is to give you the information you need to make
your own choices, not for me to tell you how to do laundry... although
I'm not shy about making clear when I think there are clear,
measurable benefits to something. (In particular, front loading
washers.) I neither endorse nor decry any particular detergents or
softeners, or any particular brands of washer. (The section about
contents of specific brands of detergent is incomplete. I need to
either do more research or talk the manufacturers into sending me some
information.)

The laundry pages may be viewed at:
http://www.tomfarrell.org/laundry

I'd like to particularly take a moment to point out the page about
water temperature, because laundry water temperature was the topic of
a recent discussion here which is what brought up the subject. This
page may be viewed at:
http://www.tomfarrell.org/laundry/temperature.shtml
In short, it discusses that the temperature of your actual wash water
may not be what it should be, by comparing actual thermometer
measurements from my washer with recommended temperatures supplied by
the Soap and Detergent Association.

I hope everyone will find the new pages helpful!

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/
Old October 8th 04, 09:31 AM

Tom Farrell wrote:

I said I'd post about this when it was ready...

I've written some web pages about doing laundry. It's about how to
make informed choices about detergents, washers, and water
temperature. The goal is to give you the information you need to make
your own choices, not for me to tell you how to do laundry... although
I'm not shy about making clear when I think there are clear,
measurable benefits to something.

Oh, wow, this is great! Thanks!

You wouldn't consider adding a link to my favorite laundry information
that would be in no competition whatsoever with yours, would you? It
would finish it off nicely *best innocent look*

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/f...singsocks.html

--
Where no oxen are, the crib is clean,
But much benefit is derived from the labor of the ox.
Old October 8th 04, 10:08 AM
Pogonip

Tom Farrell wrote:

I hope everyone will find the new pages helpful!

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/

A recent post of yours about Snuggle fabric softener lead
me to buy and use a liquid fabric softener for the first
time since my pediatrician told me Downy was the leading
cause of diaper rash -- 33 years ago! I have been using
dryer sheets. I tried the Snuggle Ultra, and while I
would prefer non-scented, I must say that so far I am
liking the results very much. Everything is so much
softer and wrinkle free, and I have not broken out yet.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old October 8th 04, 03:12 PM
Kirsten H. Sollie

"Tom Farrell" wrote in message
om...
I said I'd post about this when it was ready...

I've written some web pages about doing laundry. It's about how to
make informed choices about detergents, washers, and water
temperature. The goal is to give you the information you need to make
your own choices, not for me to tell you how to do laundry... although
I'm not shy about making clear when I think there are clear,
measurable benefits to something. (In particular, front loading
washers.) I neither endorse nor decry any particular detergents or
softeners, or any particular brands of washer. (The section about
contents of specific brands of detergent is incomplete. I need to
either do more research or talk the manufacturers into sending me some
information.)

The laundry pages may be viewed at:
http://www.tomfarrell.org/laundry

Snip

Thanks Tom! I have also been warned away from fabric softeners. We don't
use them much over here anyway. But did you know that they are extremely
toxic to children? 1/2 cup can supposedly be fatal.

As for water temperatures, in Europe, the washers heat their own water so
you just set it on 95 C (or something cooler). It takes a couple hours but
the clothes sure do get clean.

I liked the section of stains. I am still looking for a remedy for
dandelion stains, those black spots that come from the milk in the stems.
Never have seen a remedy for that. Maybe you have a source?

Thanks for sharing

Kirsten Harvey Sollie
Heimdal, Norway

Old October 8th 04, 04:23 PM
small change

Tom Farrell wrote:

http://www.tomfarrell.org/laundry

I hope everyone will find the new pages helpful!

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/

Yes Indeed!!

They look great, but I think I need to change my browser settings so that
the link colors show up more ;-)
I'd be interested in information on soaps vs detergents, and specialized
products such as woolite vs baby shampoo and so on.

I went to look at your portfolio... it doens't work properly in Mozilla. I
had to load it in IE that I keep for situations like this... just thought
you might like to know.

Penny

Old October 8th 04, 04:46 PM
nana2b

Thanks for the good info Tom. I purchased front loading WM about 3 months
ago and all I can say is WOW! Gentler on clothing, much dryer after the
spin cycle and finishes much faster that the old machine. The dryer (gas)
is much more efficient that the old 13yr old. one. Towels are done in less
than 30 minutes, compared to almost 1 hour. So in addition to saving on
water, detergent, and time I will save on my power bill too. My last set
lasted 13years.

Old October 8th 04, 08:14 PM
Tom Farrell

Pogonip wrote in message ...

A recent post of yours about Snuggle fabric softener lead
me to buy and use a liquid fabric softener for the first
time since my pediatrician told me Downy was the leading
cause of diaper rash -- 33 years ago! I have been using
dryer sheets.

Oh, were you ever advised badly... a liquid softener, if used in the
correct balance with the detergent, will wash away leaving nothing but
(perhaps) scent. Dryer sheets are *designed* to leave residue on your
clothes.

I tried the Snuggle Ultra, and while I
would prefer non-scented, I must say that so far I am
liking the results very much. Everything is so much
softer and wrinkle free, and I have not broken out yet.

I'd prefer unscented Snuggle too. Oh well.

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/
Old October 8th 04, 08:25 PM
Tom Farrell

"Kirsten H. Sollie" wrote:

Thanks Tom! I have also been warned away from fabric softeners. We don't
use them much over here anyway. But did you know that they are extremely
toxic to children? 1/2 cup can supposedly be fatal.

That's true of a lot of household things. I'll make a few inquiries
anyway.

As for water temperatures, in Europe, the washers heat their own water so
you just set it on 95 C (or something cooler). It takes a couple hours but
the clothes sure do get clean.

I know, my friend has a european washer-dryer set. It's wonderful.
Everything comes out so clean, so soft, so nice. The only problem he
has is that he wanted to pre-shrink some fabrics for a quilt, and he
discovered he *can't* - the dryer flatly refuses to shrink anything.

I liked the section of stains.

*chuckle* I wanted to emphasize that most problems should really be
solved by correct washing, not by use of a million anti-stain
products.

I am still looking for a remedy for
dandelion stains, those black spots that come from the milk in the stems.
Never have seen a remedy for that. Maybe you have a source?

I'm not sure, I've never seen that kind of stain, which is odd because
as a kid I played with dandelions all the time. Dandelion milk is
fairly acidic... which implies they might not be stains, they might be
*burns*. I take it you've already tried hot water and a good detergent
with enzymes? How about (and I'm reluctant to say it, but it is once
in a while a necessary evil) bleach?

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/
Old October 8th 04, 11:28 PM
dnmgiordano

I am still looking for a remedy for
dandelion stains, those black spots that come from the milk in the stems.
Never have seen a remedy for that. Maybe you have a source?

I'm not sure, I've never seen that kind of stain, which is odd because
as a kid I played with dandelions all the time. Dandelion milk is
fairly acidic... which implies they might not be stains, they might be
*burns*. I take it you've already tried hot water and a good detergent
with enzymes? How about (and I'm reluctant to say it, but it is once
in a while a necessary evil) bleach?

I know its not for laundry, but I use Mr. Clean magic erasers on laundry
spots sometimes and the little thing is amazing! (Black dirt off white
satin - but in all fairness the satin was very cheap) not to mention
removing crayon off walls. (not affiliated with mr.clean btw)

Michelle Giordano

Old October 9th 04, 04:36 AM
Cynthia Mason

At one time I had a recipe for laundrey detergent. It was made of
washing soda and borax. It was cheap and did a great job. We had 4
sons and needed to be economical and clean. Softeners make things feel
lovely but towels are not very absorbent when I have used it. I found a
softener called Lavender Sachet at Drug Emporium that came in a deep
lavender bottle and smelled faintly like lavender...delicious. haven't
seen it lately though.

Stitching muliple pages of Pinn-Eight Immortals Liz Catron Needlework 3 May 11th 04 06:31 PM
ISO of pages from Better Homes & Gardens Cross Stich Christmas 1997 Rachel Janzen Needlework 3 October 27th 03 01:33 AM
Some new web pages Kate Dicey Sewing 0 October 26th 03 05:05 PM
Some new web pages Kate Dicey Quilting 0 October 26th 03 05:05 PM
Premade Pages Cindy Rubberstamps 3 October 8th 03 04:41 AM