All Lurkers

Old October 3rd 04, 10:58 PM

Default All Lurkers

You can run, but you can't hide...
Come out and play, tell us what you are making for the fast
approaching holidays. C'mon, we don't bite hard enough to leave an
impression!
Cea

Old October 4th 04, 03:27 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

C'mon, Cea! I haven't gotten through Halloween yet! I have to trace
Superman 3 more times for friends so I can get it off in the mail to a
promised person....(I thought that Superman had gone out of style......but
the little kids sure love him!)
Another set of van seat covers to make, and a bridesmaid dress for a plus
sized woman (who, of course, does not realise just how plus her size is -
thus the increase of the pattern by over two sizes!).
DD # 1 wants to be Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean and DD # 2
wants to be a cross between a gypsy and a harem girl. Of course, she wants
to have her costume embellished with gold designwork....
In my spare time (I love watching CSI) I am crocheting an afghan. It will
be for a friend for Christmas. Just granny squares so I can crochet while I
watch TV.
Cynthia

Old October 4th 04, 04:44 AM
sewing4you

HI Cea
Nothing yet for the holidays. I'm up to my eyeballs in bridal stuff and
choir uniforms!!!!! Then to get ready for the craft shows!!!! Kathy

Old October 4th 04, 07:01 AM
Teacher gal

lol....okay, with a greeting like that one, I guess I have to bite!

I'm a newbie here, but have been sewing since I was eight years old or so
(I'm...let's see.....32 now). I started with apparel sewing and have pretty
much stuck with it, but I picked up machine quilting this past year, and am
enjoying it a lot. Since I usually teach theater and direct school plays, I
sew a HUGE number of costumes each year. I'm currently unemployed (thanks,
Bush), so I've got a year off from the major costuming. I'm actually glad
for that, since last year I had, by far, the most aggravating sewing
experience of my life. While sewing the grand ball gown, sixteen shirts and
tabbards for the guys, and costumes for the king and queen, the godmother in
Cinderella (our fall musical) demanded a particular costume and told me her
aunt would sew it. (Of course, I'm building and painting all the sets and
running rehearsals at the same time---and I love it. I seem to thrive on
that stuff. Anyway...) Five days before opening night, the aunt bails, and
I'm left wrestling with shoulder rolls and a stiffened collar for this
thing. As if I didn't have enough to do during tech week, I was staying up
unbelievably late trying to finish this costume ("I'm a size 18") for a girl
who did nothing but complain about it once I finished it ("It's too small!"
"But I cut it at a size 24!"). I still swear I'll never sew another
shoulder roll for the rest of my life.

I'm finishing up a corset right now to add to my period stock (yes, fully
boned--22 of the puppies), working on a quilt for my parents for Christmas,
and attempting to finish one for myself. Oh, and I'm supposed to alter a
costume for my six-month-old nephew. It's a store-bought cheapie with
overcast seams and thin knit material that looks like it could fit a
five-year-old, so it should be really fun keeping it from ravelling apart.
Why she didn't just ask me to make her one from scratch, I don't know (it
would have been cuter than this thing, that's for sure).

That's it for me. Good thing I'm unemployed (yeah, right), or I don't think
I'd get this quit done. We're moving in a month, so it's already sort of up
in the air as to whether it'll be a Christmas present or something closer to
Valentine's Day.

Next!

Anastasia

Old October 4th 04, 08:48 AM
melinda

Kate Dicey wrote:
Trish Brown wrote:
wrote:

You can run, but you can't hide...
Come out and play, tell us what you are making for the fast
approaching holidays. C'mon, we don't bite hard enough to leave an
impression!
Cea

Cea-ea-ea! For the moment, I am making nourishing chicken broth and a
concoction of warm salty water with which to bathe the shrieking eyes of
my family! We've all had this year's *charming* version of the flu and
the ferocious conjunctivitis that comes with it (never in my *life* have
I had it like this! It *hurts*!!!) Not only that, but we've got the
body-aches, the sore, dry throat, the glugged up dozes and the narrowed
airways (always turns to asthma for me - O happy day!)

My DD has been utterly miserable (and today marks the second sick week
of her school holidays, during which she's done nothing and been nowhere).

My DS has Dire Rear and can't get a night's sleep, since he has to keep
dashing outside to the dunny!

My DH is a potential client for Greenpeace, since he just lies there and
makes periodic sounds of agony when he rolls over...

Me? I dunno... I cannae feel ma legs!

Now, what were you saying about sewing, dear? ;-

Oh, nasty! Sending suitably disinfected sterile ((((((HUGS)))))) to
help you mend!

OMTP, with a fervent(sp) wish that it DOES NOT head this way - I and
DH have had a dose of the flu this year, DS has had a cold but lucky
boy missed out on getting the flu (although it seems he does have a
slight problem with hayfever).

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old October 4th 04, 08:54 AM
melinda

sewing4you wrote:
HI Cea
Nothing yet for the holidays. I'm up to my eyeballs in bridal stuff and
choir uniforms!!!!! Then to get ready for the craft shows!!!! Kathy

Holidays! I'm just trying to get some of my own general sewing done!
Made an effort and some sewing all finished for DS so he has some clothes
to fit him, ended up making 3 pairs of play shorts, 3 pairs of play
pants (same material as shorts) 2 pair of jean style, slightly dress,
trousers and a vest. I was working on these with about 2 hours an afternoon
and some evenings, the only time I have to sew these days...

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old October 4th 04, 09:31 AM
Kate Dicey

Teacher gal wrote:

[...]

I'm sure it will be welcomed whenever it arrives! Quilts are like that...

I too discovered quilting after many years of garment making, and know
well the hassles of the School Play Costumes That Ate England! 4 years
after a space age version of Midsummer Night's Dream I am still finding
heat bonded sequins stuck to my carpet... And as for what those
benighted sequinned fabrics do to the serger and the sewing machine...
just don't ask if I'm sane!

I put my hoof down with a very firm paw at school and refuse to make
costumes for characters unless *I* have taken the measurements! I say,
'You *may* be a size XYZ in a Whatever Brand off the peg garment, but as
I'm making this costume based on a paper pattern, I need ACCURATE
measurements, so I will take them. Please remove your heavy jumper and
lumpy shirt, and these ridiculous trousers so I can do that, or we'll
find someone else to fill your part!' After threatening the boys with
stuck-on leaves and body paint, it's remarkable how well they took to
dancers tights and slipper socks... I hole up in a spare classroom with
the blinds down, and usually the lasses are very interested in what they
will get. I've had lots of 'Can we keep the dresses? I want to wear
mine to Such&such!' I tell them they will have to buy them from the
school at a realistic price, that covers the cost of fabric and my time,
and then only if the head of the drama stuff is willing to let them go.
He did sell on a couple of things that were tailor made for particular
boys (a 1970's suit and a couple of pairs of loons!), but has so far
refused to part with any of the lasses stuff!

I sew for real money too, and sometimes the general public is as mad as
school play directors! I thought I was going to have a light year this
year as there were no costumes to do for the spring, but no... I had 4
sets of bridal stuff to do instead, for one of which there were 16
bridesmaids, the bride, and the most torrential downpour in decades!
The ducks were eying my hat brim...

Welcome to the light! Please join the fun and keep this group going -
it gets a bit quiet here when we are all busy!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old October 4th 04, 09:54 AM
Chris Underwood

wrote Come out and play, tell us what you are
making for the fast
approaching holidays. C'mon, we don't bite hard enough to leave an
impression!
Cea

Cea - You don't have to bite to leave an impression!

No sewing for me right now - my 1908 rental house is vacant. Had to
re-wallpaper the kitchen since the last tenant's kids wrote on the old
wallpaper with a ballpoint pen. We've also have had a couple of water leaks
so took the opportunity to investigate them and ended up taking 3 layers of
wallpaper and at least 1 coat of paint off the dining room and master
bedroom ceilings! My shoulders are so tired I can hardly raise my arms.
Just got up for another Ibuprofen - back to bed for me!!!
--
-:¦:-
·.·´¨ ¨))

Washington State, USA