Thoughts on arrival of new machines

Old September 8th 03, 06:25 PM
Coleen

Trish --
HELLO!!!!! And sending you early birthday wishes!!! Hope you have a
wonderful day.

I truly love my dear old Singer and would never get rid of it (oldest
daughter has threatened me if I ever get rid of it), but I need something
geared more towards quilting. The feed dogs on my Singer do not drop
therefore I cannot do machine quilting with it and I want something that I
can use on the Handi Quilter that DD and I bought about a year ago.

Great to see you!! Tell Kim, Mattie and Elle that I said hi.

Auntie E. Coleen

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
G'day E.Coleen! Fancy seeing you here!

I used to hanker after a new machine, but I've decided that my old clunker

(28
year old Singer) is just fine! She does everything I need to get done and

has
made (and is still making) most of our clothes. The only thing I really

lust
after would be a decent three-step zig-zag for swimwear and making DD's

dance
costumes. I don't need embroidery because I like to do that by hand.

AFAICT, there's really not much new under the sun. Or am I dreaming? ;-

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Old September 8th 03, 06:28 PM
Coleen

Kate --

Thanks for your wonderful suggestions. I can see a trip to several shops in
my very near future.

Love in Stitches,

Coleen

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

I love my Husqvarnas - I have a Lily 550/555 and a Huskylock 910 serger.

For me, as a semi professional dress and costume maker, in no particular
order, the must haves a

Totally perfect buttonholes in a variety of styles (there are 10 on this
machine)
a really adjustable blind hem (though NOT for use on bias cut dresses!)
perfect straight stitches every time
multiple needle positions (I have 26 altogether!)
the ability to cope with both thick fabrics (e.g. several layers of
denim or curtain fabric)
the ability to cope with fine, slippery fabrics (i.e.. silk chiffon and
poly satin)
absolute reliability - I do NOT want a problem in the middle of a
project!

To get the features I wanted, and the reliability, I had to buy a good
make of machine, and TOTL. This means I have 240 stitches, including 3
alphabet and number sets (I didn't 'need' them, but they do come in
useful! I put the lass's names on their dresses when I did the pink
bridesmaids, so they didn't get the wrong ones!). There are LOTS of
stitches and patterns I really thought I'd have no use for, but one of
the first jobs I did after getting the new machine was a christening
gown with - you guessed it! - rows of little flowers! When I'm
teaching, the kids LOVE all the decorative stitches!

My Husqvarna came with a 5 year warranty and a free finance deal. It
was also the lowest price available at the time. About 9 months after I
got it, the machine was stolen. I liked it so much I went out and
bought another from the same shop as soon as the insurance came
through! I've had the current one for 5 years this autumn, and it's
been serviced once. It also had a new carrying handle - under the
warranty.

The Huskylock 910 serger has been just as good and reliable. It
recently needed a small part, which cost the princely sum of £12 to get
and have fitted! The machine WORKED well enough without it, but wasn't
as easy to thread! The dealer always sends the machine home with the
old broken bits, so you can see what went wrong, unless it's something
obvious and large, like the carrying handle, which I didn't really want!

I looked at lots of different machines when I bought mine, as I was in
the market for two TOTL machines, but not embroidery. I saw lots of
lovely machines, tried dozens, and finally boiled down to two: the Lily
I finally bought, and the equivalent Bernina. I'd used lots of Berninas
over the years, and to start with, they had the edge because of that,
but I was familiar with Husqvarna Vikings as I'd used them years before
in school, and my Big Sis has one, which I've also used. In the end it
boiled down to ease of use. There was nothing to choose between them on
stitch quality, but the HV had the 'heirloom' buttonhole the Bernina
didn't, and I REALLY wanted that! The Bernina had one or two features
in what were for me awkward places, and the Lily said 'I was designed
specially for you!' I've never had to hunt for a stitch - except for
the alphabets! That's the dyslexia, not the machine! Everything is
exactly where I expect to find it. And this is why you have to TRY
BEFORE YOU BUY! It's so easy to use that I've had both little old
grannies who have 1950's Singers and never wanted anything else using
all the fancy stuff, as well as kids of seven!

The Lilies and other 'flower' models are being phased out for the new
generation of machines, which do more and cost more! You might pick up
an excellent bargain. Happy shopping!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old September 8th 03, 06:29 PM
Coleen

Nana --

Thanks. I think the best bet is just going to be go in and test drive
several machines made for quilting and then make my decision.

Love in Stitches,

Coleen

"nana2b" wrote in message
Well said Kate. I chose the Bernina for some of the reasons you chose

your
HV. That is why their are different machines out there. Different

strokes
for different folks.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old September 8th 03, 06:31 PM
Coleen

Emily --

Thanks. I can't get rid of the old one -- DD has threatened me if I ever
get rid of it -- matter of fact, she wants it when I am gone, lol. I just
checked the book on my singer and it is a Model 288 and the book is
copyrighted 1978 so it is probably a 1977 or 1978 machine.

Love in Stitches,

Coleen

"Emily" wrote in message
When you can, buy a new one, BUT keep the old one. You'll be surprised

how
often you go back to it for this or that. At least, I use my 1961 Singer
503 much more than I ever thought I would when I bought the new embroidery
machine, Pfaff 7560, which I love, too.
Emily

Old September 12th 03, 02:40 AM
Maureen Wozniak

Wonderful idea! My new baby (Brother PE-150) arrived last night! Can't
wait until Saturday when I really get to play! Hey, maybe I need some
sort of maternity leave.

Maureen

Valkyrie wrote:

As I have been reading the NGs having to do with sewing a thought all of a
sudden occurred to me. The decisions involved, waiting for and arrival of
new machines (often referred to as my/our baby) is much like that of the
arrival of a much anticipated child. I know writing out that check after I
decided on my dream machine was almost as painful as 31 hours of labor. LOL
When the announcement of the machine is made we all want to know the name
and model, when did it get here, etc. This is always followed by the
appropriate ohhhs and awwws and words of congratulations.

I think we should have sewing machine showers as we do for our babies!

As proud ''parent'' arrives home with "the new baby" all the sewing friends
are there for the shower. No discouraging words would be uttered about the
type of machine brought home anymore than the comments of "why didn't you
get a boy/girl instead", "why didn't you get one with hair" would be at all
socially acceptable. All gushing would be positive and complimentary as well
as the stories that would circulate through the group about "when my baby
arrived". Gifts would include lots of accessory feet, little bags of bobbins
and bobbin holders, a new machine dust cover, lovely thread assortments,
packages of needles and spare light bulbs, how to books, gizmos you'd love
but could never afford or justify getting yourself, perhaps the truly close
friends and family could go together to get the new baby a lovely bassinet,
er, custom sewing table, fat quarters or other appropriate fabric rolled
into the cute"cake" form and lovingly presented. There would, of course be
good food and beverages, perhaps some of those lame name the baby games. I'm
sure you get my drift....

I can just see it now......"Where are you going dear?" "Oh, I'm off to
England, Kate's new treadle has arrived and the girls are giving her a
shower." or "I'll be leaving for the airport now, honey, feed the kids and
the dog has to be at the vet on Tuesday, I'm heading to New York, the little
Janome arrives tomorrow!" ~blowing kisses~

Boy, it's getting late, I've been at my machine most of the day and
obviously my mind is beginning to farkle. LOL

Val

Old September 12th 03, 03:24 AM
Joanne

Valkyrie wrote:

[...]

And I picked up my Quantumlock serger! Wow! It's truly
amazing - does everything. Just doesn't have a screen to
tell you the settings, but there is a page in the book
that does, so I'll photocopy it and put it by the machine.
I got 6 extra feet and the workbook. I have some
things to do before I can play, but we can go ahead with
the party!

--
Joanne

Old September 15th 03, 06:01 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

I don't know what 'farkle' means, but I love the idea of a 'baby' shower!
We tend to do the reverse here - friends come over to ogle the new treasure
and leave with little bits of notions and stuff as compensation for having
to go home to their - suddenly substandard seeming - machines. Funny though,
at human baby showers nobody wants to try their hand at diapering the new
one!
Cynthia

Old September 16th 03, 12:12 AM
AliceW

sounds like a meltdown to me or perhaps she has just gone batty - batty, get
it - batty? Oh nevermind!
--
Alice in NJ
www.ourcyberfamily.us