Blackwork for Dummies

Old September 21st 04, 03:30 PM
anne

Default Blackwork for Dummies

At yesterday's EGA SIG meeting, someone was working on a blackwork design for
her Master Counted Thread Stitching certification which was absolutely
gorgeous!!! The technique intrigues me because it's so 'clean' as opposed to my
usual freestyle whatever works projects.

If y'all could point me to sites with projects, books or leaflets for beginning
blackwork, I'd appreciate it.
--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old September 21st 04, 07:17 PM
Julie T in VA

when i was looking for blackwork ideas, i typed "blackwork" into google. it
came back with tons of sites. One is:
http://www.berlinembroidery.com/blackwork.htm

the british needlework mags usually have nice patterns too.
Old September 21st 04, 07:30 PM
BDS2pds

Right now I am doing Leon Conrad's Elizabethan Elegance and it is gorgeous!
http://www.leonconraddesigns.freeser...k/bwseries.htm
I am very much enjoying these. I have no agenda for it other than the love of
working on it.
Why his got my attention at first was that he has created a thread kit with 8
or so different color blacks and width threads. It is quite the hoot to work
on and with.Barbie
Old September 22nd 04, 02:27 AM
Mellissa Allison

Anne,

Here are a few of my favourites, mostly freebies:

http://www.blackworkarchives.com/index.html
http://www.dragonbear.com/sample1.html
http://aeg.atlantia.sca.org/projects...work/index.htm
http://www.tristanbrooks.com/Pineapp.../Pineapple.htm

and finally, a kind of 'clearinghouse' of links for blackwork...

http://www.findstitch.com/directory/...ory.cgi/cid,26

HTH!
Mellissa
"Babies are such a nice way to start people." --Don Herold
My home on the Web: http://www.zillwood.com/muddles

Old September 22nd 04, 03:43 AM
Jeanine3

Tanja Berlin's blackwork butterfly is absolutely gorgeous, I saw her
stitched model last spring at the EAC Seminar in Victoria BC. Of course
I had to have it but haven't started. I like blackwork because it is
kind of like a puzzle. You work forward and back and must figure out the
best way so that there are no threads across empty spaces that show
through the fabric. I usually have one project on the go that is
blackwork, right now it is some Christmas ornaments from New Stitches, a
british magazine.
HTH,
Jeanine in Canada

Old September 22nd 04, 01:23 PM
Lynne Demmery

Jeanine! How's it going. Our guild saw the slides for the next
seminar in Toronto next year. Tanja has done or will be doing a
blackwork peacock...gorgeous! Also some Ore Nué...

Lynne
(in Ottawa)

Old September 22nd 04, 04:03 PM
anne

Thanks, all. I found the blackwork archives myself but it's always good to hear
what others find useful and interesting.

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old September 22nd 04, 04:55 PM
Jeanine3

Lynne, you lucky girl, you! The peacock pic is on her site (I'll have to
have it when it's available!) and there is also an Or Nué dragonfly too
(IIRC). Did you see that one part of her goldwork design that was in
Embroidery Canada last year is in the new Australian Inspirations #43?
She's gettin' more known.
Jeanine in Canada
two more sleeps until ANG Reno!

Old September 23rd 04, 12:32 PM
Lynne Demmery

That's the one...the dragonfly Or Nué. Both are very beautiful. I
haven't seen #43, only just got #42. I'll have to keep and eye out
for it.

Lynne

Old September 23rd 04, 04:46 PM
Jeanine3

Lynne, it's got a black cover with a peacock on the front, Tanja's
design is on the left towards the bottom corner.
I'm off to the ANG Reno Seminar, I'll post when I get back.
Happy Stitching!
Jeanine in Canada