Korean Coat/Kimono XStitch Pattern?

Old March 17th 04, 01:22 PM
Judi Canaan

Default Korean Coat/Kimono XStitch Pattern?

I have a number of kimono counted cross-stitch patterns, but they are
Japanese I believe. I do know that women's clothing in Korea is different,
a full skirt with a Hanbok (spelling) bolero-type jacket/blouse on top.
But, there also is a kimono/coat worn by women (at least if what I am
finding on Korean web sites is truly representative, however there are few
examples).

There is an "Elegant Kimono" pattern/kit in Herrschner's catalog that I am
getting which I think is beautiful. As an aside, I hate kits and usually
substitute better cloth and floss from my local cross stitch shop. I refuse
to use Michael's or Hobby Lobby for cross stitch items unless I have no
choice as I do not like to see the smaller shops, which provide such good
service and expertise go out of business. But back to the kimono question,
Herrschner's also has several kits with Geisha's, but I am sure they are not
appropriate as I do not think there is an Obi sash worn with a Korean style
Kimono.

I am wondering if an elaborate Kimono (with flowers, cranes, etc. on it)
would be appropriate as a cross-stitch gift to a Korean co-worker that is
retiring. Should I tone down (so-to-speak) the pattern, are there any
cross-stitch patterns out there that are specifically Korean, does anyone on
this group have any patterns/suggestions?

Thanks for any and all help.

Judith Canaan
Kalamazoo, MI
Old March 17th 04, 02:29 PM
Addie

This posting is just up my alley. I lived in Korea for 2 years and have
looked for ages for something to stitch and I've finally resigned myself to
designing my own. I know that there are a few out there, but I'd have to go
searching again. I will, but I have to work all day, so it'll be after that
(I'll try in English and Korean). In the meantime I have scanned some
postcards of hanboks and have posted them here for you:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...26110906AiHkgj

As for the hanbok, there is not an obi or sash and most of the fabrics are
relatively plain. They do often wear an ornament called a norigae on the
front. You can see it in a couple of postcards.

I need to get to work soon, but I will check in again later tonight.

Addie

--

remove "nospam" to reply

WIP: Winter into Spring Mystery Sampler, TW's Storyteller, SC Our Family
Tree

Old March 17th 04, 08:56 PM
FKBABB

I am wondering if an elaborate Kimono (with flowers, cranes, etc. on it)
would be appropriate as a cross-stitch gift to a Korean co-worker that is
retiring. BRBR

I'm sure it would be beautiful, but your friend might think it a little
strange. Korean culture is very different from Japanese culture, to Koreans,
and they don't particularly appreciate it when the two are confused. If you
can't find a Korean themed picture, you might consider stitching some Korean
symbols -- like Chinese and Japanese they use ideograms for their written
language and value calligraphy as one of their highest art forms. As to what
to say, you might contact a Korean studies program for advice -- professors
love to answer questions, and I note that the University of Michigan has a
program:

http://www.umich.edu/~iinet/ksp/

HTH, Annie

Old March 17th 04, 11:00 PM
Addie

Oh, and the coat that you are thinking of is usually quilted and only worn
in the winter.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...26199355PcMail

One of the biggest differences between the hanbok and the kimono (other than
the obi) is the shape of the sleeve. The hanbok has a much more curved
sleeve that doesn't hang down very far. As well, as you can see from the
pics I've posted that the fabric is far less intricate, usually a plain silk
with some embroidered details, but not elaborate.

Having just looked at the chart that you speak of, I am sure that it would
never pass as a Korean Hanbok. I am working on a chart of Korean wedding
dolls http://community.webshots.com/photo/...26200164nBLXUg and I
would be happy to share it if you like. Otherwise let me know and I can
come up with something for a retirement saying written in Korean.

Take care,

Addie

Old March 17th 04, 11:45 PM
lula

Yes, it's unfortunate but true, historically, Koreans have a great
dislike and an uneasy relationship with Japan due to the aggression of
war and domination going back through the centuries.
Many older Chinese continue to harbor dislike of anything Japanese for
the same reasons, especially after WW II.

When considering a gift based on cultural meaning be careful of the
origins, it's best to check with someone who is well versed with the
particular culture to prevent an inadvertent faux pas.
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Old March 18th 04, 01:23 PM
Judi Canaan

Thank you for all of the good information. I also, suspected that something
Japanese would not necessarily be appreciated, even though this person had
seen some kimonos I stitched sometime ago and really liked them. Some of
the Korean web sites I have been looking at have photos of Royal clothing
and of course those were not plain, etc.... The wedding dolls do sound
interesting, as my co-worker did have a traditional Korean wedding for her
daughter and I have been trying to get a copy of the photo of the
kimono/robe she wore as the mother of the bride, thinking I could chart
that, but no luck so far.

I also like the idea of a saying in Korean having to do with happiness,
peace and harmony in retirement, or something like that. Perhaps I could
stitch something like that and do something around the border decorative,
like small fans, or bamboo or maybe someone would have an idea for the
border?

Thank you again for the good information, and yes Addie, I would be
interested in the wedding dolls/and/or/Korean script, if you are willing to
share.

Judi