Making paper with flower petals

Old July 14th 03, 11:16 PM
Pat Kight

Default Making paper with flower petals

arline wrote:
My garden is really blooming away, yet I don't feel like making paper
right now with the petals. Can I pick and "preserve" these petals and
keep them until I'm ready to make some decorative paper? If so, what
is the best way to keep the petals with their colors? Dry them
between sheets in phone book? I'd like to use the petals from my
agapanthus (sp?), the purple "lillies of the nile" flower, among
others.

Here's a link for many different methods of preserving flowers,
depending on the use. Plain pressing usually won't preseve the colors,
but I understand that microwave drying does.

Since most of the fading/browning is due to oxidation, I wonder if
dipping the flowers in a dilute citric acid solution, such as is used to
keep fruit from turning brown when canning it, might help. It might be
worth a try.

--
Pat Kight

Old July 15th 03, 03:39 PM
Sonya Cirillo

FYI - she is NOT talking about PECTIN - pectin is the substance that
causes thickening - for making jam and jelly. . . to keep fruit from
oxidizing you add citric acid - around here it can be had at most
grocery stores in a powder form - virtually tasteless to add to canned
fruits. . . or you can add lemon juice or lime juice or when making
fruit salad - mandarin oranges with juice or pineapple

Sonya Cirillo

Bonjour Voisins wrote:
In article , says...

Since most of the fading/browning is due to oxidation, I wonder if
dipping the flowers in a dilute citric acid solution, such as is used to
keep fruit from turning brown when canning it, might help. It might be
worth a try.

I presume you're referring to PECTIN when
you say "dilute citric acid solution?"
If not, it's PECTIN that is most commonly
used in canning, I think, and it is derived
from non-citrus fruits, as far as I know.
Apples, for example, are very high in pectin.

One popular brand of pectin is CERTO. And
BALL (canning bottle people) sell it under
their BALL brand. And there are others.

Flower petals? *~candygrrl~* Beads 6 October 3rd 04 01:30 AM
making a flower by chasing, or other NONcasting methods. Des Bromilow Jewelry 1 June 9th 04 03:44 PM
AD: Handmade paper making supplies Tonja L. Marketplace 0 January 22nd 04 08:38 PM
Paper Making For Kids From Wood With Baking Soda? JMorris General Crafting 13 July 14th 03 02:02 AM
What About Soap??? Paper Making For Kids From Wood With Baking Soda? [email protected] \(formerly\) General Crafting 0 July 13th 03 04:21 PM