OT - Cheesy bread

Old January 24th 10, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher

Default OT - Cheesy bread

Maureen found this recipe in her "Good Housekeeping" book, I can vouch
for it's yumminess, and it "keeps" quite well.

225g (8 oz) self raising white flour
7.5ml (1.5 level tsp) salt
5ml (1 level tsp) mustard powder
5ml (1 level tsp) snipped fresh chives
15ml (1 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
75g (3 oz) double Gloucester or mature Cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
25g (1 oz) butter or block margarine, melted

Grease a 450g (1 lb) loaf tin. Mix the flour, salt and mustard in a bowl
and stir in the herbs and cheese. Add the, 150ml (0.25 pint) water and
melted butter and stir until well blended.
Spoon into the loaf tin and bake in the oven at 190C (375F) mark 5 for
about 45 minutes.
Turn out and cool on a wire rack. Serve sliced and buttered while still
warm.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old January 24th 10, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

Bruce Fletcher wrote:
Maureen found this recipe in her "Good Housekeeping" book, I can vouch
for it's yumminess, and it "keeps" quite well.

225g (8 oz) self raising white flour
7.5ml (1.5 level tsp) salt
5ml (1 level tsp) mustard powder
5ml (1 level tsp) snipped fresh chives
15ml (1 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
75g (3 oz) double Gloucester or mature Cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
25g (1 oz) butter or block margarine, melted

Grease a 450g (1 lb) loaf tin. Mix the flour, salt and mustard in a bowl
and stir in the herbs and cheese. Add the, 150ml (0.25 pint) water and
melted butter and stir until well blended.
Spoon into the loaf tin and bake in the oven at 190C (375F) mark 5 for
about 45 minutes.
Turn out and cool on a wire rack. Serve sliced and buttered while still
warm.

I make cheese bread (with cheddar cheese) from the recipe in "The Joy of
Cooking" and it's marvelous. Great toasted/buttered for breakfast -
yummmmmm.... (even better than fresh, IMHO) Cheese bread is one of DD's
favorites, so she usually gets a loaf for her BD.

Also nice in grilled cheese sandwiches for super cheesy taste. But a
thick slice of cheese toast is the BEST. (For the 'Mercans: also good
for grilled cheese: slice a frozen piece of Texas Toast in half, so you
get two very, very thin slices, insert cheese, grill - viola! LOL!
Grilled cheese on garlic toast! Add thin slice of tomato and some
oregano/basil for a *really* yummy treat.)

sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old January 24th 10, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Susan Hartman" wrote in message
Bruce Fletcher wrote:
[...]

That's heaven on a plate. Now I'm sorry I already had dinner.

Old January 25th 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Susan Hartman wrote:
Bruce Fletcher wrote:
[...]

OK, you guys know I have to cook low-carb, right?? I am now drooling all
over this spiffy new keyboard. I like food, I enjoy cooking food, and if
I can be different in my cooking, I do it. DH LOVES my soups...they are
not replaceable..."Glory be to leftovers".

Gill
Old January 25th 10, 06:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Edna

"Karen C - California" wrote in message
Susan Hartman wrote:
Grilled cheese on garlic toast! Add thin slice of tomato and some
oregano/basil for a *really* yummy treat.)

Found some sturdy bread made with rosemary at the farmers market over the
summer. Good with fresh tomatoes. Equally good as a grilled
tomato-and-cheese sandwich.

Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

When we had a bread maker before it stopped working DH used to make rosemary
bread at my request.
It was my favourite bread.
Our fresh tomatoes on the vine have just about finished now.

Edna in Sydney

Bread recipe (just read) NightMist Quilting 0 May 12th 09 11:46 PM
Friendship Bread... Carol In WI Needlework 4 October 8th 05 07:35 PM
Friendship Bread... Carol In WI Yarn 4 October 7th 05 03:35 AM
Banananananana bread... Not totally OT... Kate Dicey Quilting 16 January 7th 05 07:00 PM
Mary Pulver Bread BDS2pds Needlework 5 December 24th 03 01:45 AM