Seville oranges

Old January 25th 10, 06:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher

Default Seville oranges

On 25/01/2010 00:57, wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:39:14 -0500, Gillian Murray

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:42:18 -0500,
wrote:

Am I the only one here who loves good marmalade, but buys it in a jar?

Lucille

If you ever make your own, you will never be happy with boughten again

SHEENA boughten!!!!!! That is as bad as "gotten".

Bruce may be able to confirm, but I believe it is a Newcastle
expression - I had a neighbour in married quarters in the Fleet Air
Arm who used to say that lol It just stuck with us forever after.

The term boughten is unfamiliar to me. Its usage, like the old English
gotten, seems to be North American. If something was not home-made I'd
call it bought.
There's a handy webpage which will translate (!) phrases into Geordie at
www.whoohoo.co.uk/geordie-translator.asp where "Is that marmalade
home-made or bought?" comes out as "Is that marmalyed home-myed or bowt?".
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old January 25th 10, 01:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/24/10 3:42 PM, in article ,
"Lucille" wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:27:19 -0500, MargW
wrote:

Hey Jim:

I noticed that my Metro (formerly Dominion) has Seville oranges. Just
in time for your annual marmalade making.

Me, I'm sticking with MaMade G Solves all the problems of getting the
rinds cuts thinly enough.

MargW

Back in the day when the kids were little and I made pounds and
pounds, I used to put it through a meat grinder. Maybe not so pretty
but useful lol

Am I the only one here who loves good marmalade, but buys it in a jar?

Lucille

After much searching, I've found a brand nearly as good as Jim's
(running to fridge)
Duerr's 1881 Coarse Cut Seville Orange Marmalade

Heaven on toast with a slice of sharp cheddar...

Old January 25th 10, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:39:59 -0500, "Lucille"
wrote:

Bad "English" english. That would have brought on a major fit from
teachers...and my mother!

After a tiny bit of research I see that as you say, it is bad "English"
English. However, I will also state that this isn't England and it's fine
here.

Just to be contrary, let me point out that the word English must always be
capitalized, even if you don't approve of the way we tawk here in the
states. ;%))))
Lucille

Yes, but it is doubtful you actually speak 'English" - some form of
no doubt, but English ? So maybe you should use another word, not
English for the way you tawk ?

I believe it is said that gotten is very olde English, but like
Gillian I know my grandmother would have whacked me if I had said it!
It sounds horrible to me, so I won't be using it lol

If you can come up with a good name that isn't difficult to put into a
sentence, it would be fine with me.

Old January 25th 10, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:16:58 -0500, "Lucille"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

You're the one who needs to find a new word, Gillian and I speak
English lol

As far as I'm concerned, if my grandmother called it English, my teachers
called it English and I call it English, no change needs to be made.
You're the one that thinks it's wrong. ;*)

Lucille

Old January 25th 10, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Gillian Murray" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

You better RD&H. For me Yank means pull or schlep, or a baseball team or
a very old and not very often used word for a person. Besides that, the
Yankees were only Northerners, which would insult everyone else.

Try again, maybe something will come up that actually isn't a problem for
you.

I know it irks you that we actually dare to call our language English, but
it was the English who came up with the name for the language when they came
to the America, and it would be up to them to change it now. lol