What I've been up to.....

Old January 15th 10, 02:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default What I've been up to.....

On 1/15/10 7:55 AM, in article
, "Donna"
wrote:

After reading this thread, I want pizza for supper not burgers and roasted
poatoes

I had this sudden urge for pizza and had one delivered today. * I never
thought to put my sudden urge together with this thread. * lol

Too funny. I hope you enjoyed every bite of your pizza. And didn't get
any grease on your fabrics.

@Cheryl. If you ever get as far east as Biddeford, ME - our favorite
place for pizza is Pizza by Alex. We each order our own.

Donna in Virginia

Ok - haven't had to go that far of hockey this year - yet!

Old January 15th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn.Mary

Gillian Murray wrote:
Bruce Fletcher wrote:

Or a nice, steamed steak & kidney pudding (with suet pastry) and thick
gravy.

NOT FAIR, Bruce. I haven't had that for years, and would sell my soul
for one, I think. There are some British foods I really
miss............and that is a top priority one. Good kippers; smoked
haddock; English bacon; those nice little pork pies....................I
guess after 40 years I can still drool at the memories.LOL

Well, get busy, girlfriend. Order some kidney from your butcher, get
him to order it whole (with the suet round it) and get started. Hint, I
only make S & K pie these days, and then I cook the meat either in the
Crock Pot or the pressure cooker, and finish the pastry in the oven, but
if you want a real pudding, you could cook the meat that way, make up
your suet pastry, fill it with cooked meat etc, and cook it in the
microwave - takes about five or nine minutes, depending on size.

As for kippers, I used to buy all kinds of things like that in a Brit
import store just north of Tampa. However, there are several of them
around FL (Google is your friend!).

Nowadays I buy them in a store which started out as mostly Indian here
in New Orleans - well, in the 'burbs, actually, but close enough - and
they carry all kinds of Brit foods if you are willing to pay the price.
For Christmas, I bought Cadbury;s chocolate, Quality Street, McVitie's
and Crawford's biscuits, an Xmas pud, and I always have Branston Pickle
and things like that in the house.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old January 16th 10, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:22:51 -0600, "Olwyn.Mary"
wrote:

Gillian Murray wrote:
Bruce Fletcher wrote:

[...]

That is *******ization at it's worst - the full flavour of steak and
kidney pudding IS the fact it has gently steamed from dawn to dusk.
The best I ever made were at the cottage, I would put it on the wood
stove after supper for supper the next day. The puds were famous, the
flavour wonderful!

WEll, I used to make a S&K pie with the pressure cooker. The late DH
really liked it. But a pud is an entirely different kettle of fish so to
speak. It has suet as part of the inner shell of the pud and is steamed
witha pudding cloth over the top of the bowl.(oops almost put an extra e
in there which brings us to haggis which I love.).. I can promise you
that I gravely doubt that you can get anything here in the US even
remotely resembling some of the English ingredients. The LLDH really
loved the pie....then my Mum made the pud on one trip to the
UK...........................that was the end of that.

Kippers are not the horrid things you buy in cans/tins; or procesed for
the US market. Maybe living at Holy Loch, on Loch Fyne helped to purify
my taste.

If I can't have the real thing.............then I just don't want it.

Gillian
Old January 16th 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn.Mary

wrote:

Gillian Murray wrote:

Bruce Fletcher wrote:

[...]

Aha! Aromatherapy. You seem to be sayng that you prefer the smell of
the pud (and the steaming up o the kitchen) to the taste of the actual pud.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

Old January 19th 10, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr_brat

On Jan 12, 9:28*pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Well, first - I was on grand jury duty. Most educational and depressing.

But, I can find stash at the darnedest times. Went to check out the Chinese
place (won't go back) but did find Stitched In Stone - a quilt shop with
floss and yarn.

Also went to the Ben Franklin Ace Hardware in Raymond NH on the way one
night - what a strange store, clothes, hardware store stuff, toys and yarn
and fabric and floss and such....

And Knitter's Garden - great little yarn shop in Chester NH. Need lots more
time to explore it.

And finally, I'm helping Sue at Contoocook Needlework with inventory. I'm
counting floss. It's fun and restful. And I get to fondle lots of floss.

I didn't know Ben Frankins still existed. They're like an old time
Five and Dime.

Elizabeth