Recommendations - die cutter?

Old October 5th 06, 06:47 PM posted to alt.crafts.scrapbooks,rec.crafts.misc,rec.crafts.scrapbooks,uk.rec.crafts
Helen Page

Default Recommendations - die cutter?

(x-posted to relevant newsgroups)

Hi guys, wondering if anyone has any recommendations regarding
die-cutting systems (eg sizzix, ellison, etc). I may be getting one for
Christmas but I'm not sure which one would be best. Would appreciate
hearing about peoples' experiences with the different systems.

Are they all fairly equal or are some easier/quicker/whatever to use?
Can the dies only be used with their own machine or are they
interchangeable? Do some machines cope better than others with thicker
paper/card? Anything else you've come across while using them?

Unfortunately the budget doesn't stretch to a Craft Robo, so that's out.
And I am in the UK. Thanks in advance for any help...
Old October 5th 06, 10:37 PM posted to alt.crafts.scrapbooks,rec.crafts.misc,rec.crafts.scrapbooks,uk.rec.crafts
leigh

Hi,

I have a zipemate, which I would've recommended-but have recently found
out they are retiring it!
When I go to my local crop, I use a Big shot, and its wonderful, so I would
highly recommend that one!
Good luck

Old October 6th 06, 02:09 AM posted to alt.crafts.scrapbooks,rec.crafts.misc,rec.crafts.scrapbooks,uk.rec.crafts
Helen Page

(x-posted cos I don't know which group the reply was sent from)

leigh wrote:
Hi,

I have a zipemate, which I would've recommended-but have recently found
out they are retiring it!
When I go to my local crop, I use a Big shot, and its wonderful, so I would
highly recommend that one!
Good luck

Thanks Leigh, I will check it out.
Old October 6th 06, 03:03 AM posted to alt.crafts.scrapbooks,rec.crafts.misc,rec.crafts.scrapbooks,uk.rec.crafts
Lenora

The Wizard (spellbinders.us) is probably one of the most versatile die
cut machines on the market. It can handle most other companies
dies(sizzix, quickcuts, accucuts, bosscuts). Can emboss using the
fiskars texture plate, brass stencils, the spellbinders dies all emboss
too. It can squash bottlecaps and set eyelets.

It is a racheting machine, crank the lever up and down, and uses pinch
rollers to apply even pressure. It is made of metal, no plastic parts
to wear out.

Their customer service is excellent.

worth looking into. and take a look on HSN as they carry the wizard and
usually bundle it with a bunch of dies or an alphabet for a better
price than most.

plus it's purple :-)

cheers,
Lenora

Old October 6th 06, 11:57 AM posted to alt.crafts.scrapbooks,rec.crafts.misc,rec.crafts.scrapbooks,uk.rec.crafts
RonzClocks

Hi Helen,

Have you seen the Wish Blade cutting system by Xyron. It's computerized so
it will cut just about any pattern but it's in the $400 (US) range. You can
check it out at www.wishblade.com.

I hope this helps...
...Ron

Home of RonzCrafts - Iris Folding and more
http://home.earthlink.net/~ronzcrafts/

Old October 6th 06, 02:42 PM posted to alt.crafts.scrapbooks,rec.crafts.misc,rec.crafts.scrapbooks,uk.rec.crafts
Shirley Shone

Hi Helen,
Long time no see.

We have the Wizard at our craft club. It is easy to use when you get
into the swing of it. On the down side we have had problems with the
white plates. The top one started flaking badly, we had it exchanged and
that is going the same way. However we have had it replaced by yet
another of a different composition. We do not know how it will fair
because we decided to completely wear the old one out first. The dies
are expensive.
My friends club uses the Sizzix and they are happy with that.

I have got a Craft Robo but could do with someone to show me how to make
it work properly. I hope it is not going to be a white elephant.

Shirley

In message , Helen Page
writes

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk
Old October 6th 06, 03:10 PM posted to alt.crafts.scrapbooks,rec.crafts.misc,rec.crafts.scrapbooks,uk.rec.crafts
Christina

I went to one of my lss and inquired about the quick kuts vs sizzix. She
pointed out there are a lot of dies and alpha. In my personal opinion
between the two, I am still wanting the sizzix. Even though it's not that
convenient to take with you, the dies are bigger and from what she was
selling them for, sizzix dies are cheaper.

If she still has it.. I think she is selling the sizzix for 40 I think.
It's 2 years old and hardly has any wear on it. Do you guys think I should
get it? It'll be Friday before I really have the money, but I think it's a
good deal. I value ya'll opinion. Thanks.

Christina

Old October 8th 06, 02:51 AM posted to alt.crafts.scrapbooks,rec.crafts.misc,rec.crafts.scrapbooks,uk.rec.crafts
Lenora

with this coupon code WS6255 you can get a brand new machine at
sizzix.com for $28.

You could approach lss and see if they want to meet/beat the price.
Throw them some business and save a little money.

cheers,
Lenora

Christina wrote:
I went to one of my lss and inquired about the quick kuts vs sizzix. She
pointed out there are a lot of dies and alpha. In my personal opinion
between the two, I am still wanting the sizzix. Even though it's not that
convenient to take with you, the dies are bigger and from what she was
selling them for, sizzix dies are cheaper.

If she still has it.. I think she is selling the sizzix for 40 I think.
It's 2 years old and hardly has any wear on it. Do you guys think I should
get it? It'll be Friday before I reallve the money, but I think it's a

Old October 10th 06, 02:13 AM posted to alt.crafts.scrapbooks,rec.crafts.misc,rec.crafts.scrapbooks,uk.rec.crafts
Helen Page

Lenora wrote:
The Wizard (spellbinders.us) is probably one of the most versatile die
cut machines on the market. It can handle most other companies
dies(sizzix, quickcuts, accucuts, bosscuts). Can emboss using the
fiskars texture plate, brass stencils, the spellbinders dies all emboss
too. It can squash bottlecaps and set eyelets.

It is a racheting machine, crank the lever up and down, and uses pinch
rollers to apply even pressure. It is made of metal, no plastic parts
to wear out.

Their customer service is excellent.

worth looking into. and take a look on HSN as they carry the wizard and
usually bundle it with a bunch of dies or an alphabet for a better
price than most.

plus it's purple :-)

cheers,
Lenora

Thanks, that sounds good - versatility is something I especially look
for when buying craft supplies. And my local craft shop carries the Wizard.

rotary cutter blades Becky Quilting 2 May 6th 04 09:37 AM
where can I get a cheap mat cutter? ted Needlework 6 January 8th 04 11:37 PM
Fiskars Softouch rotary cutter Tiina Aaltonen Quilting 4 December 15th 03 08:29 PM
Rotary cutter problem - revisited Jennifer Hepworth Quilting 7 July 21st 03 04:36 PM
Fiskars, was Rotary cutter problem - revisited Jennifer Hepworth Quilting 2 July 21st 03 04:53 AM