How do you get into "the zone"?

Old August 12th 05, 01:25 AM
Jim Aberle

....we all have been there...and bacak gain....you will get it...but
remeber this is suppsoed to be fun....i sometimes have to remindmyself
that....cause of those frustrating days....god luck

Bubbles wrote:
"Jim Aberle" wrote in message

I have been working on the wheel for years....and still have bad days when
the clay just doesnt want to center...(notice its not me, its the
clay)...but seriosly the best days and quickest centers are the days when i
am focusing more on the conversation i am having with other potters....(i
work in a studio with other potters)...and am not overly focusing on the
centering....thats tip 1......tip 2...is did you ever try centering with
your eyes closed?....it is your hands and "feel" that centers the
clay....closing your eyes helps sharpen this feel....give it a try......Jim

from Jersey

Hi Jim

Well - when you "know" how to center, I guess you don't need to concentrate
so much ;-)

I have tried _checking_ my centering by laying my hands gently on the piece
and closing my eyes to feel it, but never thought of "going blind" to
center. I will give that a try. Thanks.

Sometimes, I can feel the piece going into center, and then right out of
center again. THAT is really frustrating!

Marianne