Borders

Old August 27th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gothikka

Default Borders

Could someone give me some advice on adding borders to a wall hanging
( Wuh? ), please? I used 2.5" strips for my settings on a Halloween WH
for my daughter and I would like to add a bright orange jack-o-lantern
fabric border, but I feel that it may need a black solid narrow inner
border to offset the green and orange fabrics. I would probably use
another 2.5" for the inner border, but what would be a normal size for
the outer border? Would 5.5" be about right? So far, the WH is about
35 inches square, which is probably on the large size.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...59609166RoeCOI

( The pic isn't too clear and the purple fabric appears somewhat
bluish )

Thanks in advance.

Gillian in SW MIchigan.

Old August 27th 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

If it were mine, I think I would add a half inch, black narrow border to
the square you have; then add a 2.5" border of the Halloween fabric and
a mixed fabrics or black binding. That will only increase the square to
41" - and that's not too big. You don't really want to make a feature
of the borders - at least, I would want to focus on the centre part, for
a wallhanging especially.
..
In message . com,
Gothikka writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 27th 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gothikka

Thanks, Pat. I haven't made a WH before and wasn't sure how big the
borders should be or the entire thing, for that matter.

Gillian in SW Michigan.

On Aug 27, 7:48?am, Patti wrote:
If it were mine, I think I would add a half inch, black narrow border to
the square you have; then add a 2.5" border of the Halloween fabric and
a mixed fabrics or black binding. That will only increase the square to
41" - and that's not too big. You don't really want to make a feature
of the borders - at least, I would want to focus on the centre part, for
a wallhanging especially.
.
In message . com,
Gothikka writes

Could someone give me some advice on adding borders to a wall hanging
( Wuh? ), please? I used 2.5" strips for my settings on a Halloween WH
for my daughter and I would like to add a bright orange jack-o-lantern
fabric border, but I feel that it may need a black solid narrow inner
border to offset the green and orange fabrics. I would probably use
another 2.5" for the inner border, but what would be a normal size for
the outer border? Would 5.5" be about right? So far, the WH is about
35 inches square, which is probably on the large size.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...59609166RoeCOI

( The pic isn't too clear and the purple fabric appears somewhat
bluish )

Thanks in advance.

Gillian in SW MIchigan.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill- Hide quoted text -

Old August 27th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

IMO you are right about the black inner border, but don't need it too wide.
An inch would be plenty (cut 1.5" strip). How big are the motifs on the jack
o'lantern fabric? You only need to make that border wide enough to show them
off, and 2.5" might be enough. I'd probably use 3". Too much, and the border
will try to take over with fabric that bright.
Roberta in D

ups.com...

Old August 27th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

For me, a wall hanging is the size of the wall space I have! But I know
that's kind of hard to judge when you are making it for someone else.
--
Kay Ahr in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/kayahr

ups.com...

Old August 27th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Patti wrote:

If it were mine, I think I would add a half inch, black narrow border to
the square you have; then add a 2.5" border of the Halloween fabric and
a mixed fabrics or black binding. That will only increase the square to
41" - and that's not too big. You don't really want to make a feature
of the borders - at least, I would want to focus on the centre part, for
a wallhanging especially.

I'm with you, Pat. I think a narrow black border is perfect -- the
narrower, the better -- followed by just one further border, and 2.5"
sounds good for that, too.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 27th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 04:32:55 -0700, Gothikka
wrote:

Could someone give me some advice on adding borders to a wall hanging
( Wuh? ), please? I used 2.5" strips for my settings on a Halloween WH
for my daughter and I would like to add a bright orange jack-o-lantern
fabric border, but I feel that it may need a black solid narrow inner
border to offset the green and orange fabrics. I would probably use
another 2.5" for the inner border, but what would be a normal size for
the outer border? Would 5.5" be about right? So far, the WH is about
35 inches square, which is probably on the large size.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...59609166RoeCOI

( The pic isn't too clear and the purple fabric appears somewhat
bluish )

Thanks in advance.

Gillian in SW MIchigan.

You don't need the black. Just add the orange border.

To choose a border width it would be easiest to lay the border fabric
under the sewn piece. Adjust the width of the orange fabric border by
sliding the sewn piece over it until you like what you see. Measure
the border width and add 1/2" to find out how wide to make your cuts.
If you really hate to just eyeball your border width and feel you have
to "go by the numbers" pick either twice the width of the green
strips. or half the width of your blocks for the finished size of the
border width.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old August 27th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.[_2_]

I agree with everyone else--narrow inner border and small outer border.
Also, what a cute wallhanging!

--
Donna in NE La.
ups.com...

Old August 28th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

tricky one, I would usually say for an inner border to go narrower, say
1inch, but with this quilt, it's very regular, so there would be
something to be said for the strip being the same width.

What I would do is lay it out on top of the orange border fabric with
and tuck a folded strip of black in the relevant place, take pictures of
it the same width as the sashing and with it narrower, do similar with a
couple of different widths of the print border, though I think with that
one my starting point would be having it the same width as the 4 patches.

Great quilt!

Anne
Old August 28th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gothikka

Thank you for all your suggestions and kind words, Ladies. It has been
a great help. I need to pick up some more Kona black fabric before I
can proceed any further, but I will post pics of the WH when it has
been completed. Thanks again for all your help.

Gillian in SW Michigan.
http://community.webshots.com/user/gothikka

borders are on KJ Quilting 37 March 18th 07 05:34 PM
curved borders Sharon Gates Quilting 3 February 5th 06 12:33 AM
Borders Sally Swindells Quilting 13 April 17th 05 01:12 AM
Yay!!! Borders are on! Thank you all! hfw Quilting 1 December 30th 03 08:20 AM
Piecing borders Dr. Quilter Quilting 0 July 13th 03 03:34 AM