fabric amounts for quilts

Old October 19th 11, 04:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default fabric amounts for quilts

So I come across a neat quilt in Fons and Porter's magazine (sept./oct.
2008) It is called Mariner's in a Pickle.
It could work for what I want to do. Under the materials list is 2-3/4 yds
of 17 prints. 2 yds. for binding and
14 yards for backing. That comes to a whopping 62-3/4 yards. My question
is how much fabric would you
guess is an average for a king size quilt? This number seems kind of crazy.
Taria

Old October 19th 11, 12:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

On Oct 18, 11:54*pm, "Taria" wrote:
So I come across a neat quilt in Fons and Porter's magazine (sept./oct.
2008) *It is called Mariner's in a Pickle.
It could work for what I want to do. *Under the materials list is 2-3/4 yds
of 17 prints. *2 yds. for binding and
14 yards for backing. *That comes to a whopping 62-3/4 yards. *My question
is how much fabric would you
guess is an average for a king size quilt? *This number seems kind of crazy.
Taria

Most likely it means seventeen different prints equal to a total of 2
3/4 yards. HTH
Bonnie
NJ
Old October 19th 11, 12:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Oct 18, 11:54*pm, "Taria" wrote:
So I come across a neat quilt in Fons and Porter's magazine (sept./oct.
2008) *It is called Mariner's in a Pickle.
It could work for what I want to do. *Under the materials list is 2-3/4 yds
of 17 prints. *2 yds. for binding and
14 yards for backing. *That comes to a whopping 62-3/4 yards. *My question
is how much fabric would you
guess is an average for a king size quilt? *This number seems kind of crazy.
Taria

Not familiar with the pattern. If it's a NY Beauty-type block, then
Bonnie is correct. At least that's what was required for the one I
did (in terms of # of fabs = x yds). Mine is only lap size so the
required yardage was far less. 14 yards seems a bit excessive for
backing. Might want to calculate that one on your own.

Kim in rainy NJ
Old October 19th 11, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise In Iowa

That does seem like quite a bit. Just a rough estimate of the backing
for a 120"x120" quilt comes up with about 10.5 yards - not 14.

It's hard to imagine that it would take nearly 47 yards for the top! If
it's paper pieced, it might take a bit more than normal, but that does
seem excessive. I checked the Website to see if there was a correction
listed, but I couldn't find one, so that didn't help!

Maybe you could take some scraps and make one segment of the quilt and
see how much fabric that took. Then multiply it by the number of times
you'd have to make that segment, which would give you an estimate of the
total yardage. You could then divide by 17 to get actual yardage for
each fabric.

Good luck - it's a beautiful design.

Louise in Iowa
http://community.webshots.com/user/LouiseinIowa
nieland1390@mchsidotcom

Old October 19th 11, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 20:54:39 -0700, Taria wrote:

So I come across a neat quilt in Fons and Porter's magazine (sept./oct.
2008) It is called Mariner's in a Pickle. It could work for what I want
to do. Under the materials list is 2-3/4 yds of 17 prints. 2 yds. for
binding and 14 yards for backing. That comes to a whopping 62-3/4
yards. My question is how much fabric would you
guess is an average for a king size quilt? This number seems kind of
crazy. Taria

First off check your math.
I got 52 yards from your numbers rather than 62.

I googled Mariner's in a Pickle. Now That I have wiped the drool off the
screen I have to say, wow what a gorgeous pattern!

As to the backing, I usually make gigunda size quilts and generally 9-12
yards of standard width fabric is sufficient. Yardage there will largely
depend on how you choose to piece it together. It could easily come to
more than I usually use.

As for the top, I can see it.
It takes more fabric when you are cutting curves and irregular angles,
and the more seams you have the more fabric you need.
Both Pickle Dish and Mariner's Compass take more fabric than the average
regular geometric design, so it is no surprise that combining the two
takes a lot.
Plus you know that not all the prints are going to take 2 3/4 yards. I
have never met a written pattern that didn't at least round, and a good
many just say the same quantity for all fabrics that come to within a
half yard or so.

On average tops for most of my large quilts take between 15 and 30 yards
of fabric total, sometimes they take more. It depends on the pattern of
course, and how big I am making the blocks. Quilts of smaller blocks
take more fabric than quilts of larger blocks, quilts made up of odd
shaped units or overall designs are anybody's guess, and I always over or
under estimate borders for some reason.

NighMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old October 19th 11, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Nope, I don't think that would be enough : (
Thanks though, Taria

Old October 19th 11, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Here is a link to one of these:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...33877753JQTtId
It is paper pieced and that always takes a lot more fabric but I bet there
would
be a lot left over at this rate.
Thanks Louise,
Taria

Old October 19th 11, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I got the calculator out and got 62 again. It is a lot either way.
I think if I did buy the fabric for this I would probably get more
than one quilt. I usually do scrappy out of the stash so I'll have
to sit down and do up a bit of the pattern.

I am so glad you are feeling up to posting and back with us!
We missed you.
Taria

Old October 19th 11, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I got out the calculator again, and this time it agrees with yours.
I blame the narcotics for all previous errors.

One thing is certain, I won't be doing quilt math for a little while at
least!

NightMist