Thank you the jewelry group

Old January 26th 11, 08:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jack Schmidling

Default Thank you the jewelry group

On 1/16/2011 7:37 PM, Peter W. Rowe wrote:

What I AM interested in doing is finding another moderator. I've done it now
for 15 years.

I have been reading newsgroups for over 25 years and this is the only
moderated group I have ever been on and all it does is barf it up by
waiting for the moderator to bless it.

I would much rather wade through garbage then deal with moderation.

Jack

--

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber, Gems,
Nature, Radio, Sheep, Sausage, Silver

http://schmidling.com

Old January 26th 11, 08:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Janet_of_all_trades

On Jan 19, 3:10=A0am, Peter W. Rowe
wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 00:56:34 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Janet_of_all_tr=

ades

wrote:

I like this group over Orchid. I find it difficult to get around in
Orchid.

This group certainly takes up less of your time, what with something like=

one or
two meaningful messages every few months, and only about half of them eve=

getting a reasonably useful answer in a similar time period.

The trouble is that when you need an answer, you have little guarantee th=

at
anyone who answers actually knows what they're talking about, since many =

of the
reply posts over the last two years have been little more than thinly vei=

led
spam, and a fair percentage of answers have been pretty much from members=

of the
interested but untrained public. =A0Not a good way to get technical help.

Getting around in the Ganoksin web site can be daunting because of it's s=

heer
size, it's true. =A0But the Orchid mail list itself can be manageable. =

=A0Rather
than read the thing on the web site itself (which also can be somewhat
cumbersome if you've a slow connection especially), actually subscribe to=

the
list so you get the messages in your email.

There are two ways to do it.

With both, it's usually best to set up your email program with a special =

folder
labeled Orchid (or your choice of names) specifically for incoming messag=

es from
the list. =A0If you subscribe to the list in "digest" format, you get one=

long
message every day. =A0That's manageable. =A0But it can be a slog reading =

that long
digest since you can't just skip to message headers of interest.

What I do is to subscribe to the list in it's traditional form, which mea=

ns
individual messages. =A0I have my email filters set up so all messages fr=

om the
list go into that folder, and nothing else goes there. =A0That means my r=

egular
email doesn't get mixed in, which would be a mess. =A0My email program al=

lows me
to set properties for the folder that say messages will be kept there for=

only
two weeks and then deleted. =A0Any messages that contain any info I might=

want to
keep get flagged as such (which makes the filter not delete it), or I can=

move
it to another folder to keep. =A0

Most email programs allow you to specify how you want incoming email sort=

ed,
such as by date, by topic, author, etc. =A0Those options let you set it u=

p (and
switch as desired) so you can intellegently follow ongoing single discuss=

ions
but not all the other topics that don't interest you.

Well, I'm getting too wordy here. =A0The point is that Orchid/Ganoksin is=

indeed
"huge", and can be a bit daunting and unweildy until you figure out how t=

o use
it. =A0But the fact remains that it is currently one of the most valuable=

places
for people in this field to share and discuss needs, questions, topics, e=

tc.
Nothing else like it exists on the web for our field. =A0Not even close. =

=A0If
Ganoksin and Orchid are a bit harder to get around, =A0it's still worth l=

earning
to do so. =A0

This group, by contrast, may make you feel good to know you're keeping in=

touch,
but these days, frankly, there's just not much to keep in touch with.

Janet, if you're a fan of this group, would you be interested in taking o=

ver as
moderator? =A0Anyone else want to do it? =A0Maybe someone else could figu=

re out how
to turn it into something useful again.

Cheers

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry

I am already moderating thejewelryclassroom, a metal clay group, and
three facebook pages. I am swamped. Your writing shows how tired you
are of this group. Maybe it is time to pull the plug? I've only been a
part of this group for a year and have enjoyed reading some of the
topics. You've done a great job Peter!

Old January 26th 11, 08:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:26:44 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Jack Schmidling
wrote:

On 1/16/2011 7:37 PM, Peter W. Rowe wrote:

What I AM interested in doing is finding another moderator. I've done it now
for 15 years.

I have been reading newsgroups for over 25 years and this is the only
moderated group I have ever been on and all it does is barf it up by
waiting for the moderator to bless it.

barf it up? Love ya too, Jack. Had a bad day, didja? And I'm an atheist,
especially when it comes to any suggestion that I have any ability to bless
anything. The only things I ever do is block spam, and make some modest attempt
to see that posts are at least somewhere within shooting range of what the group
charter (which I did NOT write, readers did) requires. That is what I was
asked to do back in '96, and what I agreed to do. Anything else would make
the whole notion of moderation (which was also NOT my idea) pointless. Anyone
who thinks I've done this out of some sort of power trip simply doesn't know me
at all. I was asked by multiple other readers of the group, when moderation
was being promoted and discussed, if I'd be willing to do the job. In
innocence, not fully understanding what I was signing on to, I agreed. That may
have been dumb, but I've tried since then to abide by my commitment. It's
aggrevating, then, when people have turned me into their enemy because I wasn't
willing to let them willy nilly rewrite the rules into their own private
versions of how they wanted the rules to read. And though I've been willing
enough to take my own time and money to keep the group alive and when
appropriate, willing too to share of my not inconsiderable experience and
knowledge of the field, it's also been a somewhat one sided affair. Not much
thanks coming back this way, nor often any useful information I needed. And
then to get posts like yours calling what I do (not much any more, i admit)
"barfing it up". How the hell do you think that makes me feel, Jack?

By the way, one reason there are so few moderated groups is that it's somewhat
difficult to find volunteers to moderate groups, even when the vast majority of
a group's readership would like a group to become moderated. The difficulty is
simply that most sane folks don't want to have to endure the slings and arrows
of armchair critics (like your above comment) who don't themselves wish to
actually help, but are happy to gripe.

I would much rather wade through garbage then deal with moderation.

OK, so why are you here? Do you somehow feel like you're adding to this group?
Or do you feel you get something from it?

Something, I mean, that you can't get from garbage?

If garbage is better, why did you even check this group to find the message
you've just responded to?

Peter

Old January 26th 11, 09:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:26:36 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry noman
wrote:

I don't have Windows 7...yet...but this PC is running XP-Pro x64 using
Agent 2.0 and it works.

Yeah, my old dinosour pc running xp pro died. The new one runs win 7, which
doesn't much like the software I used to use. I'm not about to back up to xp
pro on the new machine, since xp pro simply couldn't actually run this new
machine. too much memory, multi core processor, other stuff it simply wasn't
set up to run well.

You could just poast instructions in a FAQ every so often or let the
faithful do it.

what faithful. Who, besides yourself, do you think both reads this group and
would bother to figure out hacking it? Only the spammers, and not many of them,
I think.

It's not that difficult with the right software.

Yeah, I know. I showed you how, remember? but that doesn't mean people are
gonna go buy software just to read a dead newsgroup.

I'll give you space on my server. You'd just have to pay for the
domain name ($20 a year including whois privacy.)
I won't build the site for you but I will give you a FTP.

I actually already have a domain name, not used, but registered. But I'm not a
good enough webmaster / programmer to know how to set up a site to automate the
group. The only software I know that will do it is STUMP, which itself is not
free either, last I checked. And setting it up isn't so simple.

You could tell people about mail-to-news gateways and have 'em post
via email and read on Google Froups. (But filling in a header is sure
easier)

Posting to google groups does not bypass moderation. Those posts sent to Google
still come to me for approval.

That's the thing, man. The future of the internets is http.
This old way is, well, old.

yeah, I know. Like me. Like you too, pal. (oops, sorry. Just me. Not you.
Honest.)

Peter

Old January 27th 11, 04:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jack Schmidling

On 1/26/2011 1:54 AM, Peter W. Rowe wrote:

barf it up? Love ya too, Jack. Had a bad day, didja?

Good grief Peter, don't think it was me that had a bad day.

The most exciting thing that happened to me lately was to see my posting
go through. I have not been able to post here for several years.

My intent was to solve your problem, not to increase your blood pressure.

You may read what you wish into "barf it up" but what it means to me is
to have to wait for a moderator to approve of a posting before it goes
out and then wait till he approves of the answer before it goes out.
This means that if one wants to get an answer to a question it can take
days instead of minutes.

I read with great interest, just about everything you write but frankly,
I can't get through this one at all. It is totally off the wall and an
apology is really in order.

As we Atheists are and endangered species, our survival depends on
getting along.

Jack