sew seam binding invisibly

Old June 21st 05, 04:55 AM
kate

Default sew seam binding invisibly

How does one do this? Butterick pattern (5588) says to sew 2 inch seam
binding invisibly along seam lines. This is odd since there is a lining
to this dress. The pattern instruction shows a small piece of seam
binding approx. 6" from hem line. I read the instructions on next page
and see that it is about where the slit in the dress will come.

help!

Old June 21st 05, 05:22 AM
Jenn Ridley

"kate" wrote:

How does one do this? Butterick pattern (5588) says to sew 2 inch seam
binding invisibly along seam lines. This is odd since there is a lining
to this dress. The pattern instruction shows a small piece of seam
binding approx. 6" from hem line. I read the instructions on next page
and see that it is about where the slit in the dress will come.

It's for reinforcing the fabric at the top of the slit, and the idea
is that you don't want to see the stitching from the right side of the
dress.

I don't have that pattern here, but are you supposed to stitch the
seam binding on before you sew the seam or after (or at the same
time)?

If it's to be put in before the seam is sewn, stitch it 1/2" in from
the cut edge (centering it over the seam line), then stitch the seam
using a 5/8" seam allowance. This will reinforce the fabric at the
stress point.

If it's to be put in after the seam is sewn (which doesn't sound
likely, from your description, but sometimes it's a good idea even if
the dress is lined), sew the seam, press it open, then stitch the seam
binding to the seam allowances.

--
Jenn Ridley :
Old June 21st 05, 01:41 PM
kate

Thanks for the explanation. The pattern states to
"stitch 1/2 inch from sides above waist.
Sew 2 inch seam binding invisibly along seamlines.

My Note: These are not clear directions since the notions listed for
the pattern says 22" zipper, seam binding.
Does this mean to use the 1/2 inch seam binding I bought and use a 2
inch piece of it? I think so from your explanation and my good sense.
I did see some 2 inch wide seam binding but it looked like it would be
used for a blanket edge.

Again, thanks for clear instructions. Going to go sew it now.

Old June 21st 05, 05:50 PM
Sarah Dale

kate wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. The pattern states to
"stitch 1/2 inch from sides above waist.
Sew 2 inch seam binding invisibly along seamlines.

My Note: These are not clear directions since the notions listed for
the pattern says 22" zipper, seam binding.
Does this mean to use the 1/2 inch seam binding I bought and use a 2
inch piece of it?

Goodness - what awful directions! Are the pictures any use? What this
means is to use 2" wide seam binding and start applying the seam binding
from 1/2" above waist line along the seams down (or up!) to where ever
it should go to......

HTH,

Sarah
Old June 22nd 05, 12:42 PM
kate

The picture shows about a 2 inch piece just where the slit will be.
that's it.

Old June 22nd 05, 04:16 PM

If you're using the bias binding to finish the raw edge of the seam,
use self-fabric bias; the bought stuff is way too stiff. Used in this
way, it's called a Hong Kong finish. With right sides together, sew
one side of the bias to the seam allowance, holding it taut but not
stretched. Fold the bias over the seam, and hand-sew or
stitch-in-the-ditch to secure the second side. Hand sewing makes it
invisible; a little practice will help with the second
(stitch-in...method).

To finish the top of a slit to keep it from tearing, the bar part of a
hook and eye works well. Sew it firmly to the seam allowances just
above the slit.

Teri

binding technique -- new to me, YMMV the black rose Quilting 22 April 1st 05 05:07 PM
Blasted Binding! Dannielle Quilting 32 January 12th 05 07:34 AM
question about binding width Ann Pillman Quilting 9 March 22nd 04 06:51 PM
Judging quilts and bindings . . . . Donna in Idaho Quilting 23 August 31st 03 02:26 PM