Glass Color Information

Old February 21st 05, 11:38 AM
Amit Agarwal

Default Glass Color Information

Search enough of the web to find glass color that I can make myself
but didn't find anything useful.

What metal / metal oxide do you use for make glass colors like Red,
Blue, Green.

Any help or pointers on the net would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old February 21st 05, 12:01 PM
David Billington

You could look at http://www.glassworksservices.co.uk/ . I couldn't see
the information with a quick look at the web site but they did have a
table of colours / materials / conditions in their 1st February 2005
newletter. I not on the website maybe they would provide it by email.

Old February 21st 05, 05:31 PM
Kevin Bethea

this site lists a few metal oxides and what color they produce:
http://www.ihbc.org.uk/context_archi...louring_s3.htm

I hope that helps,
Kevin

om...

Old February 21st 05, 07:13 PM
Mike Firth

The easiest way to get this info is to look at glazes for pottery.
Here is minimal glass information with some links to more info
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/color.htm
Adding color chemicals to a basic glass formula can change the COE and
other characteristics, so it is more than just throwing a chemical in.
Further, getting the same color each time, if that is what you want, can be
exciting.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old February 22nd 05, 10:04 AM
Digit

Thanks for you links guys .. but still I need more info.

like for making red, i need copper but some mention selenium ..

even for blue or green - what are the alternatives to cobalt ?

Thank you so much

Old February 22nd 05, 12:18 PM
David Billington

From the glassworksservices data

Colour Variation Material
Conditions
Red Ruby Se + CdS not in PbO glass
Reduced + on reheating
Au
Copper antique ruby Cu2O
Reduced + on reheating
Red violet MnO2 + Se Oxidised
Wine red Nd2O3 + Se
Not oxidised

Blue Blue CuO & CoO
Blue (viloet tint) CoO
Sky blue CuO
Blue green Fe2O3 + CoO, Cu0 + Cr2O3, FeO

Green I'm not going to type the following 14 combination of
elemental oxides in for varying green colours at the moment
I suggest you contact www.glassworksservcies.co.uk

Old February 23rd 05, 03:28 AM
Mike Firth

There are lots and lots of sources of information, which require that you
spend time learning
about the mixes that make colors and how the mixes are affected by the base
glass.
You haven't even told us what base glass you want to do this with.
Red is the hardest color to make and to make behave when you use it.
People who succeed may build an entire company or product line around it -
for example Blenko's cranberry.
If a perfectly good red mix is mishandled, you end up with kind a muddy
brown called liver.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/hotbit47.htm Latest notes

ups.com...

Old February 23rd 05, 07:05 AM
Digit

i would be using Borosilicate Glass.

What terms do I use to search for glass color making techniques on
google.

I always end up on commercial sites which sell colors but very few
sites that actually say what proportion of oxides/metals to use for
different colors.

thank you so much

Mike Firth wrote:
[...]

ups.com...

Old February 23rd 05, 03:48 PM
Javahut

"Digit" wrote in message
ups.com...
i would be using Borosilicate Glass.

What terms do I use to search for glass color making techniques on
google.

I always end up on commercial sites which sell colors but very few
sites that actually say what proportion of oxides/metals to use for
different colors.

thank you so much

This is the information that companies are based on, no formula, no company.
you will be hard pressed for anyone to give you the precise information that
you want.

You MUST read, study and experiment and put in the sweat equity to create
that which you seek.
There is no answer to your question.

Old March 6th 05, 12:38 AM
Kitty

"Mike Firth" wrote in message
There are lots and lots of sources of information, which require that you
spend time learning
about the mixes that make colors and how the mixes are affected by the

base
glass.
You haven't even told us what base glass you want to do this with.
Red is the hardest color to make and to make behave when you use it.
People who succeed may build an entire company or product line around it -
for example Blenko's cranberry.
If a perfectly good red mix is mishandled, you end up with kind a muddy
brown called liver.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/hotbit47.htm Latest notes

"Digit" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for you links guys .. but still I need more info.

like for making red, i need copper but some mention selenium ..

even for blue or green - what are the alternatives to cobalt ?

Thank you so much

Some reds are made with Gold

Kitty

For those who want to know.. Making Beach Glass With Your Tumbler! Harry Beads 7 December 22nd 03 09:19 PM
glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
FA: $5.00The Technique of Stained Glass Elric of Imrryr Marketplace 0 July 30th 03 03:53 AM
Old glass receipts Matthew Spong Glass 0 July 4th 03 01:06 PM